Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UGH - The smell of it. [AC Smell]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried using spraying the evaporator cleaner into the intake side (frunk)?

Yes I do this when I change the filter. I put the fan on with the filter out and spray some into the intake. I do not spray a lot though. I am not sure how much liquid the fan can take. I can't for sure say it is safe but I've had no issues in 4 filter changes. The smell still comes back.

When you see the amount of suction it produces you will not question that the intake is sucking up a lot of rain water. It's very very strong. It sucks up everything that gets near it.

I was thinking of trying to just spray Lysol into the intake without changing my filter next time I get the smell. Maybe it will kill the bacteria without needing a filter change.

So this has been discussed before but wondering if the newer cars have had this resolved? I have a 2018 which has the problem, but I don’t see it discussed much anymore so has the problem been resolved in the newer cars? Or what has Tesla done to change the design? Curious as I have a Y coming and it seems the 3/Y share these parts.
Its my guess that the software change that runs the interior fan after shut down to dry out the AC evaporator will solve the problem. It would have been nice if they had told us about it but at least two of us have caught the car running the fan for approx 30 mins. 15 mins. after shut down.

Its my guess that the software change that runs the interior fan after shut down to dry out the AC evaporator will solve the problem. It would have been nice if they had told us about it but at least two of us have caught the car running the fan for approx 30 mins. 15 mins. after shut down.

I have a 2018 and 2021, they both suffer from the same. There haven't been any improvements AFAIK except the location of the filter cover screw.

Reactions: driver7
So this has been discussed before but wondering if the newer cars have had this resolved? I have a 2018 which has the problem, but I don’t see it discussed much anymore so has the problem been resolved in the newer cars? Or what has Tesla done to change the design? Curious as I have a Y coming and it seems the 3/Y share these parts.
My 2022 M3 LR AWD started reeking at around 14,000KM. Cleaning evaporator fixed the the problem for a week. I just put brand new filters in and cleaned the evaporator and so far so good, but its only been a few days. Time will tell..

I was thinking of trying to just spray Lysol into the intake without changing my filter next time I get the smell. Maybe it will kill the bacteria without needing a filter change.

I will try the Lysol spray before changing the filters.

I’ve got the replacement air filters and 2 bottles of Klima ready for tonight’s procedure. Not looking forward to changing this evening and being sore for a few days from contortion.

I've read somewhere that some people have success with plugging the car in and running the heat on maximum for an hour or two.

I seen some people claim that also. It doesn't work. The heater is after the air filters and the AC coil. So it wouldn't even make sense for it to do anything much. The heated air is after the filter. It's the same as just blowing air for an hour. You get a few days of no smell just because you aired it out.

I seen some people claim that also. It doesn't work. The heater is after the air filters and the AC coil. So it wouldn't even make sense for it to do anything much. The heated air is after the filter. It's the same as just blowing air for an hour. You get a few days of no smell just because you aired it out.
It worked for some people. Claim is from this reddit thread:
The automatic blower activation apparently didn't help, while the heated version did.

If the cabin is hot enough the heat will still reach the coils and the filters, as it's right next to them. Also, recirculate will pull back heated air through:
slide9.JPG

There's not going to be a single solution, there are a ton of variables.

Reactions: Rmchrger
:
slide9.JPG

There's not going to be a single solution, there are a ton of variables.
While in theory heat could kill off the mold and bacteria, in practice heating up the cabin with the heater didn't work for me. I did eliminate the smell though with another way however.

Looking at the locations of the condenser, I don't see how the warmed airflow could kill off anything. The interior temperature simply cannot rise high enough from the heater and airflow pattern. Even with recirc on for hours and heat on high, you're gonna get like 90f at best at the condenser for the ac? That's just a nice warm bath for the little stinky guys.

What accidentally worked for my car is the recent heatwave in So Cal. The stinky socks smell went away after the car had to sit outside and heat up to a nice and toasty 130f multiple times.

While in theory heat could kill off the mold and bacteria, in practice heating up the cabin with the heater didn't work for me. I did eliminate the smell though with another way however.

Looking at the locations of the condenser, I don't see how the warmed airflow could kill off anything. The interior temperature simply cannot rise high enough from the heater and airflow pattern. Even with recirc on for hours and heat on high, you're gonna get like 90f at best at the condenser for the ac? That's just a nice warm bath for the little stinky guys.

What accidentally worked for my car is the recent heatwave in So Cal. The stinky socks smell went away after the car had to sit outside and heat up to a nice and toasty 130f multiple times.
The idea isn't to kill off the mold/bacteria, only to dry out the car in a way that the default blower activation (with no heat) may not, which helps suppress any growth.

If you have a full blown growth, then the situation obviously is different. Again, as I say, there's a lot of variables, which is why some solutions solve the problem for some people, but not for all.

Looking at the cabin unit photo, I think the mold/mildew forms on the evaporator coils over time. Any foam based cleaner would need to soak through the roughly 2 inches of the convolutions to fully eliminate all the surface contaminants. Any funk that comes through the blower unit and its duct will not be possible to clean, but it should get caught in the filter's active carbon (which would only last a few months).
Perhaps when it rains some of the moisture (either through the intake duct or due to high humidity) soaks through the filter and affects the active carbon from working great until it dries out fully. Moisture would inhibit air from making contact with the carbon layer.
Just my thoughts.

Some fix ideas for those that may have funk in the blower duct:
* Use the hood seal kit but make sure it is water tight - I saw someone post a picture after it rained and you can see the seal only working on part of the joint - perhaps add another foam gasket on the plastic trim where the bulb seal makes contact?
1663263979100.png

* Attempt to clean the blower duct by snaking in the foam cleaner upwards (away from the evaporator coils)?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rmchrger
Any foam based cleaner would need to soak through the roughly 2 inches of the convolutions to fully eliminate all the surface contaminants.
In regards to this part, I thought the same thing and tried some temporary pieces of cardboard placed in the filter locations to force more foam into and hopefully through the evaporator. Worth a try. It took 2 yrs for my first smell to appear but after Klima (1 can) with the cardboard I'm going on 6 months now without any smell. If someone that has the repeated smell that comes back in days or weeks try it and see if it helps.
I did not have any funk or wetness on my filters either, even in Seattle. Mine is a 2020 delivered in dec 19. No heat pump.
Correct me if I'm wrong I believe that pic is a heat pump model? I haven't been able to find a pic like that of a non heat pump model. Regardless both models get the funk. Good luck
20220522_161358.jpg

20220522_151448.jpg

20220522_154356.jpg

Reactions: byeLT4 and XPsionic
I'm going to be doing this on my 2020 Model 3 this weekend. Mine stinks like hell. I've got the filters and a can of Klima Cleaner Pro. Thinking I might do a video of my own for it, to put my own spin on what I think is important for the procedure without spending time on stuff the viewer might not care about. Or maybe just a long thread post with a lot of pictures. I'll post an update later this weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: IndyGopher
In regards to this part, I thought the same thing and tried some temporary pieces of cardboard placed in the filter locations to force more foam into and hopefully through the evaporator. Worth a try. It took 2 yrs for my first smell to appear but after Klima (1 can) with the cardboard I'm going on 6 months now without any smell. If someone that has the repeated smell that comes back in days or weeks try it and see if it helps.
I did not have any funk or wetness on my filters either, even in Seattle. Mine is a 2020 delivered in dec 19. No heat pump.
Correct me if I'm wrong I believe that pic is a heat pump model? I haven't been able to find a pic like that of a non heat pump model. Regardless both models get the funk. Good luck
View attachment 852909

View attachment 852910
View attachment 852911
I printed this to give it a try this weekend: Tesla Model 3 Evaporator Coil Cleaner Hood by Yonkiman
Card board should do a similar trick!

if it's on recirculate will that take in hot dry air from the car, or are the filters not used in that case?

Perhaps it depends if the contamination is on the coils (in which case heating might work) or filter (less likely to work).

I have tried everything suggested and more since 2018. They all are temporary bandaids (for both my 3+Y).

This is my latest attempt, drill a hole in the cover for the kilma hose and make a tight seal to pressurize the foam so it squeezes everywhere. (2 cans)

Then use a heavy duty rubber plug to seal.

Will find out in the spring if it helped.

PXL_20220905_132628543.MP.jpg