Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UGH - The smell of it. [AC Smell]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
High Humidity is the culprit. I replace the filters each 6-9 months. I use Klima cleaner as it's easier to get and is available on amazon. Kool-it seems to always be in short supply. The Klima gets a bit more out of each can than Kool-it. I use 2 cans of cleaner each service. I have been using EVtuning HEPA filters but want to try LUFTT LHC209 filters when available.

humidity has nothing to do with it. I live in a semi-arid climate, humidity is usually somewhere between 10-25%, and I'm having it come back all the time. it just started again today, and I just replaced the filters and cleaned the coils less than two months ago.

to say I'm getting frustrated is an understatement at this point. I have barely had to use the AC even lately with cooler weather coming, and yet the smell is still coming back...

Simple solution….never use recirculation mode!

After a few months into ownership I noticed a musky smell coming through. I’d accidentally hit the recirc mode a couple of days earlier. Turned it off and never had a problem since

I’ve never used recirc in any of my cars and never had a problem with smelly ac
Ditto here. I didn't have too much of a problem when I lived in SoCal, but here it Texas, the temps are high as is the humidity. For instance right now my outside thermometer is showing 65% at 7 in the evening. I also don't use the recirc. If it's really hot, I turn the AC on remotely about 5 mins before I get in.

humidity has nothing to do with it. I live in a semi-arid climate, humidity is usually somewhere between 10-25%, and I'm having it come back all the time. it just started again today, and I just replaced the filters and cleaned the coils less than two months ago.

to say I'm getting frustrated is an understatement at this point. I have barely had to use the AC even lately with cooler weather coming, and yet the smell is still coming back...

i live in the tropics where the humidity is so bad it creeps in everywhere. 45C dry heat feels more comfortable! Cant wait to leave.
The car is completely fine here. no smell.
So clearly its not really related.

Reactions: crackers8199
does anyone feel this a Tesla problem and they should find a solution. I have had many cars and have never had a problem with my car smelling. I have had my model Y for less than a year and have had to change the filters twice.
It is probably not the filters. The condenser holds condensation and drains off under the car. The Tesla solution was to run the cabin fan only after the car is parked. The fan runs for a while to dry out the condenser. However, it dries best if the recirculation button is off if you are using automatic settings. When the filter is changed use a cleaning foam like Kool-it or Klima (I prefer Klima as the can is larger)Foam it real good and even consider using a second can before putting in the replacement filters. I change my filters every spring. Originally never foaming the condenser but now I do consistently. Leaving the recirculate off when leaving the car made a big difference.

It is probably not the filters. The condenser holds condensation and drains off under the car. The Tesla solution was to run the cabin fan only after the car is parked. The fan runs for a while to dry out the condenser. However, it dries best if the recirculation button is off if you are using automatic settings. When the filter is changed use a cleaning foam like Kool-it or Klima (I prefer Klima as the can is larger)Foam it real good and even consider using a second can before putting in the replacement filters. I change my filters every spring. Originally never foaming the condenser but now I do consistently. Leaving the recirculate off when leaving the car made a big difference.

im pretty sure when you leave the car the car doesnt recirculate.
Also the whole recirculate theory is unprooven given that people like i.e. me live in the humid tropics and have no problem with stinky ac.

I doubt the condenser needs to ever be dried off. Condensers cool the refrigerant and condense it from a gas to a liquid and heat the air and condensation never forms when air is heated. It's the evaporator that gets moisture all over it and starts to stink if it's not dried off after use.

I doubt the condenser needs to ever be dried off. Condensers cool the refrigerant and condense it from a gas to a liquid and heat the air and condensation never forms when air is heated. It's the evaporator that gets moisture all over it and starts to stink if it's not dried off after use.
Ok it's the Gizmo with the fins that sits in the console next tot eh filters that holds the moisture and gets foamed during maintenance. The fans run after the car sits a while at a low setting to help dry it.

Ok it's the Gizmo with the fins that sits in the console next tot eh filters that holds the moisture and gets foamed during maintenance. The fans run after the car sits a while at a low setting to help dry it.
He's being technical, the part you are talking about is the evaporator when in an AC context. However, if you are using it as a heat pump, there roles are reversed, so that becomes a condenser.

He's being technical, the part you are talking about is the evaporator when in an AC context. However, if you are using it as a heat pump, there roles are reversed, so that becomes a condenser.
The cabin condenser is a separate component. Unlike a traditional heat pump used to heat and cool a building, where there is only one indoor coil and one outdoor coil and they switch roles, in Tesla's heat pump there is both an evaporator and condenser and they do not switch roles (however, depending on the mode, one or both may be inactive at any given time). The evaporator is upstream from the condenser and when defrosting the windows, they're both used simultaneously so that the air is first chilled on the evaporator (causing moisture to condense out) and then heated on the condenser. You can see this clearly in the video series on the Tesla heat pump system.

See this at approximately 8:30:

And this at 1:18:

The only component that switches roles and can be used to both absorb and release heat is the radiator, and its role depends on whether the chiller or liquid cooled condenser are active and the position of the octovalve.

The cabin condenser is a separate component. Unlike a traditional heat pump used to heat and cool a building, where there is only one indoor coil and one outdoor coil and they switch roles, in Tesla's heat pump there is both an evaporator and condenser and they do not switch roles (however, depending on the mode, one or both may be inactive at any given time). The evaporator is upstream from the condenser and when defrosting the windows, they're both used simultaneously so that the air is first chilled on the evaporator (causing moisture to condense out) and then heated on the condenser. You can see this clearly in the video series on the Tesla heat pump system.

See this at approximately 8:30:

And this at 1:18:

The only component that switches roles and can be used to both absorb and release heat is the radiator, and its role depends on whether the chiller or liquid cooled condenser are active and the position of the octovalve.
I had to look it up, given many times patents may not be correct (because Tesla does not necessarily follow the patents in the actual production), but you are right, it appears the heat pump models have a separate cabin condenser:
slide9.JPG

Tesla Model Y Heat Pump Details Infrequently Discussed By The Media

I had to look it up, given many times patents may not be correct (because Tesla does not necessarily follow the patents in the actual production), but you are right, it appears the heat pump models have a separate cabin condenser:
slide9.JPG

Tesla Model Y Heat Pump Details Infrequently Discussed By The Media
Yeah, they kind of have to. Otherwise, it would be impossible to defog the windows if you want to heat the cabin at the same time. In an ICE vehicle, this is done by running the air conditioner (which chills down the air in the evaporator and then dumps the heat to the atmosphere) and the heater simultaneously. Of course in an ICE vehicle, it doesn't matter that you're removing heat from the cabin and dumping it outside because there's plenty of heat from the ICE coolant available for "free" to replace it. On the other hand, I think the old superbottle system had to run the AC and PTC heater simultaneously -- definitely not ideal. In this system, you can remove heat from the air via the evaporator and then put it back in the cabin via the cabin condenser instead of discharging it to the outside air.

Reactions: Big Earl
I guess I am lucky. I just changed my filters after 2 years and never had a smell at all. The Ranger said I should really do it every 6 months but I guess I'll go another 2 years! I never use recirc unless driving behind a particularly smoky vehicle. No idea if not using recirc has anything to do with it but my settings work for me!

You actually got a ranger to drive out to your place? I have a malfunctioning left safety restraint system and they want me to drive 60 miles in an unsafe vehicle to Austin to have it looked at. Maybe it's time to tweet Elon.
A filter change can be done by Mobile easily, but not all repairs can be done by Mobile. So them going out for one thing does not necessarily mean they will do so for other issues.

I just did this for 3rd time n my 2018 and it never gets easier. Some of the brackets are broken and getting that screw off and the new filters in is a pain.

The engineer who designed this system should be drawn and quartered. My Honda takes about 30 secs to change its cabin air filter behind the glovebox.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy