Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UGH - The smell of it. [AC Smell]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not mine after I switched the filters
lucky you, I changed filters twice in a month and dumped 2 bottles of AC cleaner onto the coil, watching it drain through the bottom of the car... after a few days it still smells like stinky feet after the car sits for 15-30 minutes in between drives.

After sitting all night - usually no smells, sometimes a faint stink
While driving - no smells
Toggling on/off recirc - sometimes a faint smell for a minute
Drive, get out of the car with keep climate ON - no smell
Drive, stop, get out of the car for 15-30 minutes, come back to the car - smells terrible

lucky you, I changed filters twice in a month and dumped 2 bottles of AC cleaner onto the coil, watching it drain through the bottom of the car... after a few days it still smells like stinky feet after the car sits for 15-30 minutes in between drives.

After sitting all night - usually no smells, sometimes a faint stink
While driving - no smells
Toggling on/off recirc - sometimes a faint smell for a minute
Drive, get out of the car with keep climate ON - no smell
Drive, stop, get out of the car for 15-30 minutes, come back to the car - smells terrible
I Don’t use keep climate on.

This is all so very strange. So many people from different parts of the country complain about this smell. I've had my M3 for about 20 months now. I have never smelled anything (good or bad) coming form the AC/heat vents. Not when it's been 5 below zero and very dry, not when it's been over 100 degrees and extremely humid, not after a week of steady rain. I have a friend who lives south of Phoenix. She has a MY that's about a year old. She's never encountered any odors either. I certainly don't doubt these claims so what can explain this?

Reactions: WhiteWi
This is all so very strange. So many people from different parts of the country complain about this smell. I've had my M3 for about 20 months now. I have never smelled anything (good or bad) coming form the AC/heat vents. Not when it's been 5 below zero and very dry, not when it's been over 100 degrees and extremely humid, not after a week of steady rain. I have a friend who lives south of Phoenix. She has a MY that's about a year old. She's never encountered any odors either. I certainly don't doubt these claims so what can explain this?
It’s not that strange if this thread has reached 9 pages of owners who experience this plus many other additional threads talking to this…maybe you’re a lucky one.

Reactions: Adam3 and driver7

At home, do you park on an incline? My current theory is that condensation from the AC coil can drip onto the filter when the fan is not blowing through it (when the car is parked). When the filter is dry, no stink. When you drive even a short distance and park it, water can wet the filter and activate the stench. Then when you start up, it stinks for a few minutes until the flowing air dries the filter. If the filter is allowed to stay damp for longer periods, where you park it the longest (in your garage), that's what causes the bacteria to build up in the first place. Then all it takes is a little dampness to activate it.

Mike

Me too, I guess. I’ve had my car 3 1/2 years, and 60,000 miles. I did have a 1 week period where I’d have a faint smell. I read up in the forums, saw the experiences that others were having and ordered a filter replacement and a container of the cleaner. That was over a year ago, and I never used either because the smell just went away (this was probably after the climate control update Tesla delivered wirelessly).

I still have the filter and cleaner, having decided to wait and see if the issue came back. Suffice to say I’m still on my original filter 60,000 miles later, never having cleaned or replaced. Not having any issues in the slightest with smell ever since. Guess it makes sense to go ahead and do the switch now though.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Not mine after I switched the filters
That is something well within my skill set and I'll be the one doing it next time. I didn't expect having to pay for it in a 6 month old car. It's very short sighted of Tesla to clear maybe $25 in profit for a service call that dissuades me from buying another one. Not bothering with issues on my daily commuter is entirely the reason I don't keep them past the warranty expiration.

2 yrs 5 mths finally got the smell. On my 2nd set of filters.
I was prepared with Klima cleaner and another new set of filters.
I vacuumed out the misc debris from the bottom. Small curved hose attached to the vacuum. Pic shows the possible fuzzy mildew on the evaporator.
I cut some cardboard pieces to temporarily put in place of the filters and force more of the Klima foam into the evaporator. I think it worked very well.
After the Klima dissipated and drained out I let it vent on high for probably 20 minutes before installing the new filters.
All good, smell gone.
I might just make this a yearly routine
20220527_180016.jpg

20220412_180707.jpg

20220522_161358.jpg

20220522_151448.jpg

20220522_154356.jpg

20220522_155513.jpg

Anyone used this yet to keep shenanigans out of the intake???

Anyone used this yet to keep shenanigans out of the intake???

I wouldn't buy that. All the long term reviews I've read about a filter in that location says they eventually took it out. Air flow gets drastically reduced. Other cars usually have a filter at that location, but they don't have another filter in the interior like a Model 3. Also in cars with a filter by the windshield, they always have a way for the air to route underneath a plastic cover before reaching the filter, to knock out moisture or heavier debris. There's no such guard in the model 3, so an exposed filter there will not be a good idea.

I wouldn't buy that. All the long term reviews I've read about a filter in that location says they eventually took it out. Air flow gets drastically reduced. Other cars usually have a filter at that location, but they don't have another filter in the interior like a Model 3. Also in cars with a filter by the windshield, they always have a way for the air to route underneath a plastic cover before reaching the filter, to knock out moisture or heavier debris. There's no such guard in the model 3, so an exposed filter there will not be a good idea.

So then what is the go to to keep debris out?

It's not a great design. The filter is too close to the evaporator, so in some circumstances the moisture leftover on the evaporator dries into the filter, wetting the filter, and causing mold to grow. The compartment also uses open cell foam insulation which has the same issue. Also, the filter is in two parts allowing some debris to pass in between the filters instead of getting caught in them.

Reactions: XPsionic
Honestly I wonder if all of this is fixable by removing the factory filters and installing a MERV 13 or similar filter at the intake in the cowl area. That would at least get the filter off of the evaporator. It would make it so the recirculated air isn’t filtered, however. Probably void the warranty also.

Reactions: MSM_M3LR
Honestly I wonder if all of this is fixable by removing the factory filters and installing a MERV 13 or similar filter at the intake in the cowl area. That would at least get the filter off of the evaporator. It would make it so the recirculated air isn’t filtered, however. Probably void the warranty also.
Probably not a good idea, unlike other cars, there's no mechanical way to knock most of the moisture from the air stream before it encounters the cowl area. Reviews of a filter in the cowl area in a Model 3 all says that filter gets smelly/soggy in the rain.

Reactions: asus389 and Jejunjm