Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UGH - The smell of it. [AC Smell]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably not a good idea, unlike other cars, there's no mechanical way to knock most of the moisture from the air stream before it encounters the cowl area. Reviews of a filter in the cowl area in a Model 3 all says that filter gets smelly/soggy in the rain.
The solution could be to add a 90 or 180 degree bend to prevent rain from coming in.

Replaced my filters yesterday, klima and Lysol - 6 months - in Tucson (hot and dry) disappointed. 3rd filter change in 1.2 years/12.5k miles

• Informative
Reactions: XPsionic
Yup, mold is back only after 17 days from replacement. Ughh!! This is on the bottom filter only. Top one was dry and not moldy.

Attachments

• 20220607_200630.jpg
    20220607_200630.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 184
  • Informative
Reactions: XPsionic
Looking like maybe there's a lot of mold/debris near the bottom of the filter/drain/condenser area. I wonder if a proper cleaning involves vacuuming that area (seems rather difficult without some small bendy hose and a way to see the results) and maybe flooding that area with some sort of cleaner liquid and not just an AC spray foam?

Whoever designed the filter location really screwed up, how is all that gunk supposed to be removed?

Looking like maybe there's a lot of mold/debris near the bottom of the filter/drain/condenser area. I wonder if a proper cleaning involves vacuuming that area (seems rather difficult without some small bendy hose and a way to see the results) and maybe flooding that area with some sort of cleaner liquid and not just an AC spray foam?

Whoever designed the filter location really screwed up, how is all that gunk supposed to be removed?
No clue how it's possible to remove all that gunk from the bottom of the condenser. I also have a steep driveway which doesn't help since the drain hole is located on the front not the bottom.

No clue how it's possible to remove all that gunk from the bottom of the condenser. I also have a steep driveway which doesn't help since the drain hole is located on the front not the bottom.
and the AC foam sprays can only reach the front face of the condenser, what about all the fins and what's behind the fins? I can start to see why some people have success with their foam cleaning and some don't.

I pretty sure I got the foam all.the way through the evaporator using some temporary pieces of cardboard. The pics I posted a page back also show the drain in the bottom. Make sure its not plugged with debris. Use you phone with flash and a flashlight to get pics. It took me many times to get good pics. A 3 or 4ft piece of 3/8, 5/8, or 3/4 hose taped to the end of any vacuum will work.
Good luck.

Reactions: Petermcg
I pretty sure I got the foam all.the way through the evaporator using some temporary pieces of cardboard. The pics I posted a page back also show the drain in the bottom. Make sure its not plugged with debris. Use you phone with flash and a flashlight to get pics. It took me many times to get good pics. A 3 or 4ft piece of 3/8, 5/8, or 3/4 hose taped to the end of any vacuum will work.
Good luck.
Thanks will try tomorrow.

Thanks will try tomorrow.
If degree is a the bottom of the condenser, check the intake in the frunk. It will require removing the panel covering the battery. Two sources of odor can be mold or decomposing leaves etc. I had one of those plastic intake covers and drilled the holes larger help airflow. I eventually removed it and replaced it with a screen make of gutter screen I bought at home depot and edging it with weather stripping. Better airflow and still blocks degree. Then I use 2 cans of Klima. They are bigger than Kool-it. Also, I try running in non-recirculate. While recirculate does dry the air, leaving it in recirculate full time picks up what you exhale and could be a source of bacteria. I found at a minimum, leaving recirculate off when parking helped. The fan will run after leaving the car to help dry the condenser (software update about a year ago) for a bit to help dry things and leaving in fresh no recirculate helped. I change filters in the spring and fall. No odor since.

Reactions: xallenx1
Yup, mold is back only after 17 days from replacement. Ughh!! This is on the bottom filter only. Top one was dry and not moldy.

Maybe the bottom filter needs a half inch plastic frame around it that can't soak up water, at least on the bottom half of that filter. You'd have to reduce the size of the filter material slightly to accommodate the plastic non-absorbent frame but only for the bottom filter so I don't think it'd be significant. That might fix the problem if the dampness is only soaking up onto/via the bottom of the lower filter.

Mike

Maybe the bottom filter needs a half inch plastic frame around it that can't soak up water, at least on the bottom half of that filter. You'd have to reduce the size of the filter material slightly to accommodate the plastic non-absorbent frame but only for the bottom filter so I don't think it'd be significant. That might fix the problem if the dampness is only soaking up onto/via the bottom of the lower filter.

Mike
But if mold is reoccurring so quickly I would say somewhere in the system is already contaminated and probably needs to have the mold/mildew killed. There are various tricks mention in threads around here, like the lysol disinfectant spray, some use Ozium. There's also running the heat on HI for 10-15 minutes with recirculate off (although this was done with ones still with PTC heater, not sure if it is as effective for those with heat pump).

But if mold is reoccurring so quickly I would say somewhere in the system is already contaminated and probably needs to have the mold/mildew killed. There are various tricks mention in threads around here, like the lysol disinfectant spray, some use Ozium. There's also running the heat on HI for 10-15 minutes with recirculate off (although this was done with ones still with PTC heater, not sure if it is as effective for those with heat pump).

Yeah, I've done all those. I would never recommend using Ozium: that leaves a greasy film everywhere it is sprayed and the film doesn't go away. I tried Lysol, Ozium, and hydrogen peroxide spray. The hydrogen peroxide probably had the most effect but given that I've done all that (including running the heat) and the only time it goes away is when I replace the filters and clean the coils, I think it's most likely the filters. Also, when you first take the old filters out, they don't have much smell. But then spray them with a light mist of water and they STINK.

Mike

i wonder if a car wash worsens matters

I wouldn't think so. If you look into the intake, there's a drain hole at the bottom (I think below the level of the filters) so any water that gets in should just drain out. Also, this last time mine started to stink was at the end of winter here and I hadn't washed mine for the ~4 months since I put the new filters in and did the coil cleaning. I don't drive much and it basically doesn't rain here from the end of November through March so it just didn't get dirty enough to need a wash.

Mike

Couldn’t they make our filters out of something like this. Or maybe just The side that faces the condenser?

I looked for that when I did mine just a few weeks ago. I ended up with this. #4 on the list mentions an anti-bacterial layer close to the coil (last layer):

Hasn't been long so it'll take a while for me to know if these eliminate the odor or cause it to not return for a long time. They also have a plastic lip around the edge which could prevent or minimize the filters picking up dampness from the ducting. I'm hopeful but the jury will be out for a while on these.

Mike

Reactions: Dr. J and xallenx1
I just tried something I read on Reddit last night and it worked. I'll update and see how long this last.

Turn heat on HI
Turn fan to 6
Press Keep before exiting
Let it run for an hour

I went out today and turned on the ac and the smell is gone. This method worked for me. Let see if last longer than when I replaced my filters and sprayed two cans of KOOL-IT. Crossing fingers!