Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UGH - The smell of it. [AC Smell]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I've tried every combination of filter, cleaner, and settings since 2018 (Model 3 & Y).

Just did another clean and filter change. Because my cars are garaged and sit for extended periods of time, I've put a couple of moisture absorption devices in the garage and cars. The garage does get humid.

I won't link to exactly what or where since I don't know if they will work or not, but I will follow-up in a year if they do. Curious if others have done something similar already.

Looks like it could be a good gadget but the last time the stink came back for me was in the spring and I hadn't driven the car in the rain the entire 4 months since I replaced the filters and did the coil cleaning prior. It doesn't rain much here in the winter and the car was kept completely dry yet the stench came back after the usual 4 months. I'm pretty sure the smell comes from dampness dripping off the coil onto the filters.

Mike
Yep, those gadgets for filter inlet will NOT fix stinky sock issues. My car is in So Cal and it hasn't seen rain in a long time, still stinks. Smell is purely from the AC design flaw.

I think I've tried every combination of filter, cleaner, and settings since 2018 (Model 3 & Y).

Just did another clean and filter change. Because my cars are garaged and sit for extended periods of time, I've put a couple of moisture absorption devices in the garage and cars. The garage does get humid.

I won't link to exactly what or where since I don't know if they will work or not, but I will follow-up in a year if they do. Curious if others have done something similar already.

Yep me too.

I've tried multiple filters and cleaners.

I have one of these humidity things in the car. It didn't help.

Eva-dry E-333 Renewable dehumidifier, Pack of 1, White Sand https://a.co/d/2ZNVOC6

I've used kilma cleaner and koolit and just regular ac cleaner from home Depot. As far as I can tell they all do the same thing. I get about 6 months of no smell. The home Depot one is cheaper but you need a cap with tube. I had one from the other cleaners. The homedepot spray also smells really nice and is good for two cleanings a can.

SKU# 206740351

Reactions: BeeGood and dduffey
Swapped my filters out again after getting the sock smell whenever I turned on ac. I use auto ac occasionally but never use manual. I’ll probably try to use manual ac with recirculation off moving forward and see if this helps. I know the auto ac function switches to recirculate most of the time.

This time I also sprayed Lysol into the intake duct. Hoping this helps as well.

19B55831-7D66-4AAC-8C19-79AFCB45FF35.jpeg

1266DE1A-7E0C-401E-9F00-1E7DEA4AC84A.jpeg

FC61ED4A-7FD0-45EA-9EF2-5A0E0FEB04AF.jpeg

Swapped my filters out again after getting the sock smell whenever I turned on ac. I use auto ac occasionally but never use manual. I’ll probably try to use manual ac with recirculation off moving forward and see if this helps. I know the auto ac function switches to recirculate most of the time.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think people are saying auto is not a problem (even if it does recirculate). It's when switching to manual and then recirculate on which causes the problem to happen quickly.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think people are saying auto is not a problem (even if it does recirculate). It's when switching to manual and then recirculate on which causes the problem to happen quickly.
FWIW, Tesla rep who I've spoken to multiple times on the phone about this issue has said that it doesn't matter for normal use, but he's heard of people saying that turning off recirculate ~5 minutes before arriving at your destination has helped. I can say for me it doesn't seem to matter. Nor does having Cabin Overheat off seem to matter either. The smell comes back regardless. Used to be every six months or so, but this last time I've cleaned it twice (once with Kool-it and then later with Klima - new filters both times) and it's come back within a month each time, albeit not as bad.

I had Tesla mobile service out this past Friday to do the cleaning/filter change again (and the tech was great and didn't even charge me) so we'll see how it goes now. At least now that they've done it themselves, I have a leg to stand on if it returns quickly again in terms of them doing a further look at what may be my issue.

FWIW, Tesla rep who I've spoken to multiple times on the phone about this issue has said that it doesn't matter for normal use, but he's heard of people saying that turning off recirculate ~5 minutes before arriving at your destination has helped. I can say for me it doesn't seem to matter. Nor does having Cabin Overheat off seem to matter either. The smell comes back regardless. Used to be every six months or so, but this last time I've cleaned it twice (once with Kool-it and then later with Klima - new filters both times) and it's come back within a month each time, albeit not as bad.

I had Tesla mobile service out this past Friday to do the cleaning/filter change again (and the tech was great and didn't even charge me) so we'll see how it goes now. At least now that they've done it themselves, I have a leg to stand on if it returns quickly again in terms of them doing a further look at what may be my issue.
I use 2 cans of Klima with each filter change. I change in spring and fall to stay ahead of odor formation.

Reactions: shifteru
Well mine smells again. It didn't even rain. Just randomly started smelling after a couple of humid days. So the hood deflector didnt stop it. It does close off the area though. It will keep snow and leaves out.

I was at the service center last week and noticed the new models are now coming with a smaller tesla version of it. It only covers both sides and leaves the middle open though.

PXL_20220804_144915834.jpg

These have come on the MiC 3/Y for about 6-9 months now and they have been available as an aftermarket accessory in a few flavors since Q1 this year.

They do little for water ingress into the frunk tub, front motor/cavity and HVAC intake areas, but do do wonders for wind noise.

and how well does it work? how many miles/months does the cleaning last to eliminate the smell? What's your procedure for spraying? Any particular location/area that you aim at? Do you turn the fan on right after you spray to push the foam through?
It lasts fine between each change. When I first moved to the NE from SoCal I noticed the odor. (Socal dry and never did the foaming just the filters). First time to get rid of odor I used 2 cans of Kool it and after a week and odor return another 2 cans of Klima. Klima cans are bigger. I followed the instructions on the can for foaming and ran through the full procedure with each can. I put the foam right into the slot where the filters go (no filters while foaming) and if the slot fills before the can empty I just wait until it drops and finish the can then run the fan as instructed. I also looked in the intake for and leaves. This is accessed via the frunk after removing the top service cover and the intake cover. You will see a small screen down inside where things can fall in. To help prevent intake debris rather than the after market intake covers that I feel restrict air, I went to home depot, got rain gutter screen for about $4 with tin snips cut a piece to the shape of the i take and added an edging of weather striping from amazon (weather strip optional but thought that would be fun). No issues since. I have been using the HEPA filters from Abtract Ocean but on my next change will try less cost filters that are similar to factory for ease off install. No issues since.

IMG_0959.jpeg

Yep, those gadgets for filter inlet will NOT fix stinky sock issues. My car is in So Cal and it hasn't seen rain in a long time, still stinks. Smell is purely from the AC design flaw.
Also living in CA, although up by San Francisco where it rains a little more often than down south. I've owned four Teslas; three Ses and one 3, and have never experienced ANY car stink, and I use my AC just like most people do. I know several other Tesla owners and none of them have ever said anything about a car stink. So, from my perspective, there is no "AC design flaw" at all. It would be interesting to me to find out why some cars have this problem while others (many others) don't.

It's not leaves or debris. I keep seeing that come up and that's not it.

I also think lots of people have it and don't know. It's not a constant smell. Its only in the beginning of use. If you precondition your car before getting in you never even smell it. Pretty much you have to be in the car when the AC initially starts those first few mins. After that it's mostly cleared.

I often just jump in my car and go.

Also living in CA, although up by San Francisco where it rains a little more often than down south. I've owned four Teslas; three Ses and one 3, and have never experienced ANY car stink, and I use my AC just like most people do. I know several other Tesla owners and none of them have ever said anything about a car stink. So, from my perspective, there is no "AC design flaw" at all. It would be interesting to me to find out why some cars have this problem while others (many others) don't.
@roblab , do you ever manually toggle recirculate?

Before I manually toggled recirculate, the car smelled fine for 8 months. Not long after I started recirculating on the freeways to minimize intake of exhaust gases, the AC system started to smell. Only for 30s or so every time it starts up, especially bad after short stops.

Would love to know if people who don't get the bad smells ever recirculate.

I use auto and I leave my temp set to 72.

Maybe it's how we park. I wonder if maybe the design doesn't drain the water if you park on a slight slope.

I mostly park in my garage but I do have a slope in my driveway. Sometimes I park outside.

I do see a lot of water coming out of my drain though.