Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugly Wood Trim Strip

Do you like the light colored wood strip trim?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What will be in place of the Wood for a white interior? nothing. Why not use the same wood? That would be beautiful. It will look a ton better with a white interior than a black one.
Exactly. This is what the trim evokes with a white or light color interior:

japanese-room.jpg

Reactions: SageBrush and Petra
No I mean I can reach for the knob/button, feel it, and activate it without ever taking my eyes off the road.

I can do that, too. ...for about 3 or 4 of the largest, most frequently used buttons or knobs out of the 20-30 in the dash. For the rest it's usually:
1) reach over to where I think it's going to be but feel that I'm a little bit off somehow,
2) feel around around the general vicinity with my fingers, still unable to visualize exactly where my hand is in relation to the button I want,
3) give up and look over at where my fingers are to orient myself and then find the right button.

Reactions: Big-T
With the poll pretty much split evenly between the yeas and the nays, it certainly demonstrates the challenges of pleasing everyone. Beyond this small trim piece, we've heard folks who want dark interiors vs. light interiors, plushy, threaded, wooded interiors vs. clean, minimal interiors and so on. I thinks it's a possibility(based on this very unscientific poll) that maybe a third of reservationists will opt for a later build date if the initial model isn't as light, dark, plushy, woody or minimal as they like.

Elon confirms you’ll be able to extend/delay your model 3 order if you want to wait for certain options

I can do that, too. ...for about 3 or 4 of the largest, most frequently used buttons or knobs out of the 20-30 in the dash. For the rest it's usually:
1) reach over to where I think it's going to be but feel that I'm a little bit off somehow,
2) feel around around the general vicinity with my fingers, still unable to visualize exactly where my hand is in relation to the button I want,
3) give up and look over at where my fingers are to orient myself and then find the right button.

That's why I think a 5 button strategy would be the best solution. I know Tesla will never do that, because buttons are so 2011, but I think a couple of buttons actually help.

Just keep the 5 most used functions as buttons.

Original Dash boards were call as such, because they consisted of a flat wooden board, with holes cut into them for gauges and switches. Racers redesigned the boards to provide only those essential controls, and customized the boards for their mission.

This new design pays homage to those simpler days when there were less distractions, but the critical ones that needed monitoring were put along that board.

Modern vehicles really need none of these. The sensors take care of monitoring all the vital signs on the propulsion unit, and only show on a display when something is out of wack.

No longer is there a need to constantly watch speeds, temps, revs, or pressures, The car will monitor all those things, and the driver can concentrate on other items.

This new dash design, with hidden vents and few buttons will be the design theme for most future cars.

Current dash designs are horribly expensive to design, manufacture and install. Takes specialized testing, where a single connection can cause very expensive repairs. The design of the wiring, fiberoptics, bluetooth, vent adjusters, many buttoned heat/air-con can confuse most of us, until we get used to the unique controls in every car.

Complaining that it does not represent your personal taste, or is not like other cars you are used to, might soon go away when the more pleasurable driving experience becomes more important.

Fighter jets are going the same way. Used to be so many gauges to watch, it took two people to fly them in combat. Now only those items of essential information are put on the display. The pilot can get all the information he need with a quick glance, and the information changes with every mission. These planes now own the skys, and older technology cannot compete.

The stick and rudder do not directly control the planes anymore. The input tells the computers what the pilot wants the plane to do, and the computer sorts out all the details, leaving the pilot with the ability to dominate his airspace.

I know this is the wood strip thread but you could cut and paste this into a thread on the single LCD panel.
Maybe, but really how is the screen really that much different from that in the S and X? They both are glossy and more or less same viewing angle from the driver seat. Other than being floating versus inset in the dash, I don't see that really making much difference. Yet I don't see many complaints from S and X owners about to screen. If you don't like the glossy, I'm sure there will be aftermarket matte screen protector one could install.

Maybe, but really how is the screen really that much different from that in the S and X? They both are glossy and more or less same viewing angle from the driver seat. Other than being floating versus inset in the dash, I don't see that really making much difference. Yet I don't see many complaints from S and X owners about to screen. If you don't like the glossy, I'm sure there will be aftermarket matte screen protector one could install.

The difference is that Speed - AP info - and everything else displayed on the covered, not constantly touched, right in front of the driver LCD on the S/X will now have to be ported to the center, uncovered, fingerprinted center screen of the 3.