Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

uGreen USB C to lightning melted and fused itself to the USB C center console port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 MYP, 4k miles, car parked in the shade, not charging. The other day, I went on a 1.5 mi drive, charged my iPhone for about 10 minutes, and then parked the car. On Saturday morning, I opened the car to get my sunglasses but it smelled like burning crayons. Something for sure had heated up and melted, so I immediately moved the car away from my house and onto the street. After inspecting all areas, I discovered the USB C to A ugreen (MFi certified cable) had melted and fused itself into the USB A charging port. Now I am concerned that the charging connecting and whatever circuts/logic board are behind it are also melted. Going to drop it off at the service center and see what they can do.

tl;dr: Non-Apple (MFi certified) brand USB C to Lightning cable melted. Only use Apple branded USB cables and do not leave the cables plugged in when not in use.

IMG_6347.jpg

Reactions: boombap
If your model y was made before April 2022 & you need a replacement usb module, there is a high chance your car has the usb-c data cables in place. Might want to ask tesla to replace usb module with part number 1755200-00-B (I have it) which will give you data & power up usb-c ports so you can use usb storage devices for music and game controllers etc. I
Part costs $35. If your car lacks data cables tesla might install for you…can’t hurt to ask.

If your model y was made before April 2022 & you need a replacement usb module, there is a high chance your car has the usb-c data cables in place. Might want to ask tesla to replace usb module with part number 1755200-00-B (I have it) which will give you data & power up usb-c ports so you can use usb storage devices for music and game controllers etc. I
Part costs $35. If your car lacks data cables tesla might install for you…can’t hurt to ask.
Good call out! It does lack the data capability.

I would guess that you havea cable that has a bad conne connection. When charging you are pulling more current through the connector than the connection can handle which wod cause theover heating and melting.A bad connection will result in a high resistance at that location. The high resistance results in the high heat...

Can’t tell from the photo or context if That is the way you found it but likely you had it plugged in and the male end (melted as shown) was laying on the carpet that had some type of condensation causing the leads to ground and close circuit. IE discharge power/heat.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
2022 MYP, 4k miles, car parked in the shade, not charging. The other day, I went on a 1.5 mi drive, charged my iPhone for about 10 minutes, and then parked the car. On Saturday morning, I opened the car to get my sunglasses but it smelled like burning crayons. Something for sure had heated up and melted, so I immediately moved the car away from my house and onto the street. After inspecting all areas, I discovered the USB C to A ugreen (MFi certified cable) had melted and fused itself into the USB A charging port. Now I am concerned that the charging connecting and whatever circuts/logic board are behind it are also melted. Going to drop it off at the service center and see what they can do.

tl;dr: Non-Apple (MFi certified) brand USB C to Lightning cable melted. Only use Apple branded USB cables and do not leave the cables plugged in when not in use.

View attachment 856849

Impressive. Though it certainly seem to be a cable fault.

Same here. Tesla refuses to cover repair. Wants to charge me 200 dollars. I used an Apple cord on their device port that failed. Ridiculous. I miss Lexus and Mercedes Benz. Cheap shitt care.

Why do you think your cable burning up is the fault of Tesla? I mean, it is pretty clear in the picture OP provided that it was his cable.