Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UHFS sound quality after MCU1->MCU2 upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw one post last year where someone claimed the MCU2 upgrade destroyed the sound quality of their UHFS system. Have not seen any other posts. Anyone here who has the UHFS that has done the MCU upgrade noticed anything?

I think it’s fair to say that the sound was “different” after I had mine upgraded. However, I lost all my settings, including the EQ, so I’m not sure how much of it was actually “different” and me just having to get it back close to whatever it was set at (which I hadn’t adjusted or looked at in probably two years so I was guessing).

To me, subjectively, the sound is not worse. Several months in and a little EQ tweaking and it’s all good to me now. I don’t see it as a reason to not do the upgrade.

2016 refresh with UHFS.

I’ll add my two cents. I did the mcu1 to mcu2 upgrade myself and I immediately noticed that mcu2 had a lower decibel sound output for the same identical volume level (I.e. volume 7 used to be loud on my commute, now I need 8.5 or 9 to be loud).

I just think the logic for the speaker amplifier is differently mapped to the volume output.

otherwise sounds great.

Reactions: ucmndd
I’ll add my two cents. I did the mcu1 to mcu2 upgrade myself and I immediately noticed that mcu2 had a lower decibel sound output for the same identical volume level (I.e. volume 7 used to be loud on my commute, now I need 8.5 or 9 to be loud).

I just think the logic for the speaker amplifier is differently mapped to the volume output.

otherwise sounds great.
How did you do the upgrade yourself?

Reactions: rickyjb

otherwise sounds great.
Man, this is another reason to take my clunky old AP1 MCU1 to MCU2. I think the sound is mapped too loud as it is on my UHFS system. I wish there was more granularity of volume at the low end. Somewhere around volume 4, there's an option that's a little too loud and the next step down is a little too quiet.