Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UI and Feeds Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have just updated the site with a new UI and features. Please note that we are still making some adjustments and configuring things. Please let us know if you see any issues or bugs.

[If you would like to continue to use the legacy "What's New" page, I have added the ability to add a "What's New" link to your primary navigation bar and mobile bottom navbar (only effects the non-pro 2022 styles, as the pro styles already have a "What's New" link there). You can turn this on by going to your Account Preferences.]

The main updates are the following:

1. New UI Style: We have new style/theme called "TMC 2022" and TMC 2022 Dark". These are very similar to our old styles, however they are a little more streamlined, should provide better performance on both desktop and mobile, and significantly improve readability (in particular for the dark style). There are some more consequential changes that you will notice, such as: the sub-navigation bar is no longer sticky on scroll-down; on mobile, the Conversations, Alerts and Account/Profile buttons are now merged into one in the top navigation bar; and on mobile the bottom navigation bar now has the navigation menu button as well as other useful links. If you are unhappy with any of the changes, please use the "TMC Pro 2022" and "TMC Dark Pro 2022" styles which are almost identical in function to the older style. You can change/specify your preferred style on your Account Preferences page.

Or you can change it by scrolling down to the bottom of your screen:

Style Chooser Screenshot.png

2. New Feeds Feature: Feeds is our new way of making TMC's Community content more accessible and easier to navigate and filter. Feeds will ultimately be taking the place of the "What's New" section, as it provides the same functionality and much more. What's New will remain accessible for those who still prefer it, however we will be removing What's New from the navigation bar at some point, so please bookmark it if you really want to use it and not Feeds.

You will notice on the Community homepage, a tab bar which allows you to switch between the various feeds that we offer. By default, existing logged in users will be taken to the "Forum list", which hasn't changed. However, you can switch to other Feeds easily, and even change your default feed from "Forum list" to a feed of your preference. This can be done in your Accounts Preference page in the section entitled "Default feed". You can also set a feed as default by going to your preferred feed, and selecting the "Set as default" button as seen here:

Set as Default Screenshot.png

3. Voting: We have added the ability to vote on threads. This affects a given thread's vote score, which can be used as a sort option for your thread. Vote scores are also used to help determine which threads make it into the "Hot" feed.

Below are sections from the new TMC Website Tutorial that cover Voting and Feeds.

Feed tabs:
On the Community homepage there are various feeds that you can view:

• Blog: A selection of curated article threads from our community.
  • Hot: A curated list of some of the best and most recent threads created by TMC members.
  • Discussion: A full list of all threads (similar in function to the older “New posts” page).
  • Questions: Displays all Question threads. Each of these feeds can be filtered by forum and more. For example, you can display only threads with unread content by clicking here.
  • Social: Shows the latest social status updates (AKA profile posts) from across the community.
  • Forum list: Not actually a feed, but rather is a shortcut to jump to the traditional list of forums, which can also be accessed by clicking on the “Forums” link in the sub-navigation bar under “Community”. On this page you can select.

You can choose between two different formats for thread feeds:

• List: The classic, more condensed, view of the threads.
  • Card: A richer layout which previews the actual content of the thread’s first post, allowing you to take actions such as reacting to the post.

There is also a “Set as default” button. This option allows you to change what feed is shown by default when you come to the TMC Community homepage. This option can also be adjusted within your account settings in the “Preferences” section.

Feed Filtration:
The “Filter” section allows you to drill down to the specific content that you’d like to see. You have many options for filtering, including:

• In forums: If you’d like to limit the feed to content only from specific forums that you select..
  • Unread content: If you’d only like to see content you haven’t previously seen/read.
  • Watched threads: If you’d only like to see threads you’ve created, interacted with, or manually watched.
  • Watched forums: If you’d only like to see threads from forums you’re watching.
  • Unanswered content: If you’d like to see content that doesn’t have any replies.
  • People you follow: If you’d only like to see content from your members that you have followed.
  • Order by: This option gives you a variety of sort orders such as:
    • Promotion date - when the threads were promoted to the feed by TMC Staff.
    • Last post date - when the latest reply to the threads were posted.
    • Thread creation date - when the threads were first created.
    • Vote score - the number of votes the threads received.
    • First post reaction score - the reaction score (incl. Likes, Informative, Helpful, etc.) of the first post of the threads.

Once you have specified your filtration options, you can select the “Save” button if you would like them to be saved and selected by default the next time you visit that specific feed.

Thread Voting: On any thread list page, such as a forum or a feed, you can up a thread. You can also up vote a thread on each thread's first post. The vote score is taken into account for curated feeds such as Blog and Hot. It also is a sort option that you can use in order to see threads with the highest vote score.

Last edited:
Update: As mentioned in my last post, the issue where certain threads were not showing up in the Discussion feed (but were in New Posts) should now be resolved. Please let me know if you see any other discrepancies.

I also have restored the "What's New" button to the bottom mobile tabbar for the TMC Pro 2022 and TMC Dark Pro 2022 styles. For the non-Pro styles, I am having an issue customizing the links there so I haven't been able to update that one yet, but am working on it.
Will try the new Pro 2022 once more!

Has this happened again since?
No, I haven't seen the issue when using the Like and other buttons or when posting a reply. It must've been a fluke as it only happened for a brief period one afternoon last week.

The real-time feeds is all or nothing, and I am guessing that it would hard for us to make that a user preference. I don't mind turning it back on as I prefer it as well, but I would want to determine that it is better for most users.

Can you please take a couple screenshots and let me know what iPad you are using so I can figure out how I may need to adjust the responsive behavior.
I have an Android tablet from Huawei with 2560x1600 resolution (landscape) or 1600x2560 (portrait). Since the site update earlier this year, it wasn't working as a mobile device so it didn't have the sticky buttons at the bottom. When you first rolled out the site changes last Monday, it worked fine as mobile for a few days until you rolled out the "TMC Pro 2022" style. If I switch to the TMC 2022 style, it works fine but then my phone uses that style as well. Is there a way to have the style device-specific instead of user-specific? The tablet works as mobile with TMC 2022 but has the Groups button instead of Alerts, Account and Conversation buttons. With TMC Pro 2022, it doesn't work as a mobile device with sticky buttons. Let me know if you still need screenshots.

So there was a bug which under certain conditions was causing certain threads that were promoted to the "Hot" feed to get removed from the Discussion feed. I found a way to prevent that from happening (while the bug is being fixed), with slightly more work for myself. However, in the meantime, "Discussion" and "New Posts" should now again be pretty much identical as I manually added those threads back into the Discussion feed. If you notice any threads not showing up on Discussion that do show up in New Posts, please mention them here, as I may missed one or two.

True, "What's New" does communicate better in a sense, but it also is even less accurate a description of what it even is. I mean, technically the Discussion feed can be put in reverse order in which case it would be better to call it "What's old". Ultimately, if and when we decide to replace What's New properly, I will probably just call it "Discussion/What's-New" until those get strongly associated such that I can eventually remove the "What's New". But I won't do that until I'm confident that all issues have been ironed out.
The Discussion page on desktop now is in sync with the What's New page from what I've seen. Thanks.

Update: As mentioned in my last post, the issue where certain threads were not showing up in the Discussion feed (but were in New Posts) should now be resolved. Please let me know if you see any other discrepancies.

I also have restored the "What's New" button to the bottom mobile tabbar for the TMC Pro 2022 and TMC Dark Pro 2022 styles. For the non-Pro styles, I am having an issue customizing the links there so I haven't been able to update that one yet, but am working on it.
The restored What's New in mobile doesn't work the same as before. Now it's showing me what's new in all threads. Previously, I could configure it to show just new watched and unread threads. I don't see any way of setting and saving those filters to customize what I see in mobile. To get around this issue, I changed the style back to TMC 2022 (instead of TMC Pro 2022) so that I can see the Community button again. As I mentioned above, this changes the style on all of my devices and I have the Groups button at the bottom instead of Alerts, Account and Conversations. The TMC 2022 style works for me on both devices and I can live with the Group button being at the bottom and the Alerts, Account and Conversation being at the top.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing similar results when comparing New Posts to Discussion. Just a few minutes ago I opened two windows for comparison and the results are shown in this screenshot. The new posts window actually has more posts than are shown. I saw that @MorrisonHiker reported that his results are in sync so I'll look forward to finding out why my results are not as good.

1640103465787.png

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Thanks, I will add that to the list of things to fix.
OK, mentions/@ usernames now show in red. @danny

No, I haven't seen the issue when using the Like and other buttons or when posting a reply. It must've been a fluke as it only happened for a brief period one afternoon last week.
Good to hear.

I have an Android tablet from Huawei with 2560x1600 resolution (landscape) or 1600x2560 (portrait). Since the site update earlier this year, it wasn't working as a mobile device so it didn't have the sticky buttons at the bottom. When you first rolled out the site changes last Monday, it worked fine as mobile for a few days until you rolled out the "TMC Pro 2022" style. If I switch to the TMC 2022 style, it works fine but then my phone uses that style as well. Is there a way to have the style device-specific instead of user-specific? The tablet works as mobile with TMC 2022 but has the Groups button instead of Alerts, Account and Conversation buttons. With TMC Pro 2022, it doesn't work as a mobile device with sticky buttons. Let me know if you still need screenshots.
I assume that it always displayed the desktop layout when in landscape mode, right?

The restored What's New in mobile doesn't work the same as before. Now it's showing me what's new in all threads. Previously, I could configure it to show just new watched and unread threads. I don't see any way of setting and saving those filters to customize what I see in mobile. To get around this issue, I changed the style back to TMC 2022 (instead of TMC Pro 2022) so that I can see the Community button again. As I mentioned above, this changes the style on all of my devices and I have the Groups button at the bottom instead of Alerts, Account and Conversations. The TMC 2022 style works for me on both devices and I can live with the Group button being at the bottom and the Alerts, Account and Conversation being at the top.
Yeah, style choice is account specific, not device specific unfortunately. None of the updates we did in anyway touch "What's New" as far as I know, but I will look into this.

I'm not seeing similar results when comparing New Posts to Discussion. Just a few minutes ago I opened two windows for comparison and the results are shown in this screenshot. The new posts window actually has more posts than are shown. I saw that @MorrisonHiker reported that his results are in sync so I'll look forward to finding out why my results are not as good.
OK, let me see if I can think of what may be happening here.

I assume that it always displayed the desktop layout when in landscape mode, right?
With TMC 2022, the tablet always works in mobile, whether it is portrait or landscape. In TMC Pro 2022, the tablet never works as a mobile device.

@MorrisonHiker Please try the What's New link on mobile again. It should be linking to the correct page now and provide you with those filters.
I just tried TMC Pro 2022 again. Now the mobile What's New button is showing the filters correctly. Looks like you've fixed that. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211221-132335.jpg
    Screenshot_20211221-132335.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot_20211221-132342.jpg
    Screenshot_20211221-132342.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot_20211221-132309.jpg
    Screenshot_20211221-132309.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

View attachment 746664
OK, let me see if I can think of what may be happening here.
It's pretty obvious from my screenshot that Discussion only seems to include threads I've responded to. That has been consistent whenever I've done a comparison. I'll be glad to run any test that might help.

So it took me a moment to figure it out, but it seems that the Discussion Feed uses an "AND" function when multiple filters are selected. In fact New Posts also uses an "AND" function for the most part, as you will notice that the filters of both Discussions and New Posts both say "Show only" which indicates "AND" function.

However, New Posts by default had the filter "Watched Content" and didn't distinguish between "Watched Forums" and "Watched Threads". Our developer actually had to develop a modification to separate the two. However, in doing so, we seem to have used an "OR" function between those two specific filters. This was actually a mistake on our part because as you can see, it still says "Show only" next to the selected filters in the horizontal bar above the results, which suggests it was supposed to be an "AND" function. So for New Posts, you currently are getting results for the following logic "Show me all threads that have unread posts; AND are in a forum that I watch OR that are watched (threads)". Whereas Discussion is giving you "Show me all threads that have unread posts AND are in a forum that I watch AND that are watched (threads)".

The point of this being that Discussion is actually working as designed. I can see that some users may or may not prefer AND vs OR for given filter configurations. It certainly would be possible to develop a feature that allows users to switch the function, but there are pros and cons to weigh in doing so.

I think once we can provide the ability to save multiple filter configurations/sets and give you easy access to switch between them, that should help.

I hope that made sense, please do let me know if I can provide any further clarification as to what's going on here.

Reactions: Krash
With TMC 2022, the tablet always works in mobile, whether it is portrait or landscape. In TMC Pro 2022, the tablet never works as a mobile device.

I just tried TMC Pro 2022 again. Now the mobile What's New button is showing the filters correctly. Looks like you've fixed that. Thanks.
I looked into this briefly and have not found an easy way to control the responsive behavior of the bottom mobile tabbar from the "Pro" style, but I am making note of this to investigate further soon.

FYI: I have added the ability to add a "What's New" link to your primary navigation bar and mobile bottom navbar (only effects the non-pro 2022 styles on mobile, as the pro styles already have a "What's New" link there).

Please note that it may take up to 20 minutes for the change to take effect.

You can turn this on by going to your Account Preferences:
screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2021.12.25-14_53_03.png

Also FYI: The "New Posts" feed currently has a bug preventing users from adjusting the filters. We are working to get that fixed ASAP, but that may only happen after January 1st.

@danny,

Why does the red banner shown circled in blue appear with the filter selection I have after reading a thread and returning to this screen with the browser back button? Since the only filter is Unread, how can there be any "new content" not matching the filter? The only possible new content would be an unread thread which does match the filter.

Also, why is the filter bar presented at the top of the Feeds when the filter selections are shown to the right? Seems they are being displayed in two places. Should the top filter bar be removed? This is with TMC Pro 2022 style.

Capture.PNG

So for New Posts, you currently are getting results for the following logic "Show me all threads that have unread posts; AND are in a forum that I watch OR that are watched (threads)". Whereas Discussion is giving you "Show me all threads that have unread posts AND are in a forum that I watch AND that are watched (threads)".
I'm not watching any forums, only threads, and I'm still having the issue of the Climate change thread showing up in What's New but not Community with the filters Unread and Watched Threads.

Reactions: jebinc
I'm not watching any forums, only threads, and I'm still having the issue of the Climate change thread showing up in What's New but not Community with the filters Unread and Watched Threads.
As I have mentioned before, there is an issue specifically with the Climate Change thread that we need to fix on our end. However, the other threads should be showing no problem, as long as the filters are set correctly.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
I mentioned this before, maybe in a different thread, but the inline content that gets inserted when you reference another thread is sometimes way off. Take these links for example. They reference posts #830, #808, #798, and #796 but the summaries display posts #817, #795, #777 and #777.

I mentioned this before, maybe in a different thread, but the inline content that gets inserted when you reference another thread is sometimes way off. Take these links for example. They reference posts #830, #808, #798, and #796 but the summaries display posts #817, #795, #777 and #777.

I noted the same for a while. @danny

Reactions: cwanja

Yep, this is a "feature" of the site and has been discussed before.

The "unfurl" feature is generic for any linked page and the portion it quotes is the top of the page, not the post being referenced. (So it will quote the first post on the page that contains your referenced post.) If you want a specific quote you need to use the quoting feature of the site. If you don't want it quoted and just want a link you can turn off the "unfurl" option.

...the portion it quotes is the top of the page, not the post being referenced...If you want a specific quote you need to use the quoting feature of the site. If you don't want it quoted and just want a link you can turn off the "unfurl" option.
So with 20 posts per page and half of the quotes referencing another post this feature works less than 3% of the time? Great.

How does one use the quoting feature? If I select the link or all the links and press the "quote" button it puts them in a box, or multiple boxes, but they are still off. Is there an easier way to turn off the unfurl option than replacing "true" with "false"?

So with 20 posts per page and half of the quotes referencing another post this feature works less than 3% of the time? Great.
The main use of unfurl is for links to pages to sites other than TMC. It works most of the time for that just fine.

How does one use the quoting feature?
You click "quote" on the post you want to quote and then use the "insert quotes" button to put them into the editor:

1641421742883.png

And yes, you can insert quotes from a different thread.

• Helpful
Reactions: danny