Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UI & AP improvement wishes/suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please please make cruise control look farther ahead.
So many times I can see slow or stationary traffic a couple of hundred yards ahead but it carries on at the speed limit for ages before braking much more harshly than it needed to. If I press the brake myself then it cancels AP and I have to enable it later with all the bongs and bleeps. I've got into the habit of slowing it down with the scroll wheel which is stupid. This is even with the follow distance set to 4 or 5

+1 this (except I typically want the left) I've never left it long enough to see which lane it picks. Usually it aims for the middle and I have to pull the wheel cancelling the autosteer before people think I'm driving like an idiot.
I‘ve waited, it usually points right at the line then picks one lane at the last second and jerks me over into that lane making people think I’m driving like an idiot.

Reactions: mikeyg_ev
AP wish list:
-- reduce phantom braking
-- be aware of the blind spot of adjacent cars. If speeds match closely I don't want my car to sit in the blind spot of a car in the adjacent lane, move forward or back so that driver can see me like I do when I'm controlling the car.
-- when approaching an interstate intersection, move over one lane to the left ahead of time if the merge lane comes in on the right so I'm one lane away from the mess.
-- recognize dump trucks ahead and move an extra lane away if possible so my windshield doesn't pick up rock chips.

Traffic visualization takes up way too much space now and since you don't need to touch it should be on the far side. Have to reach too far, too often. I hate that the Drive D is highlighted in high beam blue, right next to the headlight symbol as it tricks my brain into thinking the high beams are on.

Oh and when I feel hot it really bugs me that the control to turn the temperature down effectively overlaps with the control that turns the seat heater on since they are at arm's length in a moving vehicle. Tesla's UI team really need to be daily drivers of their vehicles.

It reminds me of an old comedy song that went something like: An angstrom in the world's smallest thing but its big compared to the line between hot and cold in my shower'. I tried to find a link to that but no luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canyonero
Oh and when I feel hot it really bugs me that the control to turn the temperature down effectively overlaps with the control that turns the seat heater on since they are at arm's length in a moving vehicle. Tesla's UI team really need to be daily drivers of their vehicles.

It reminds me of an old comedy song that went something like: An angstrom in the world's smallest thing but its big compared to the line between hot and cold in my shower'. I tried to find a link to that but no luck.
Agreed. It should be more difficult to turn on the seat heaters, which many owners never use at all. When I inadvertently turn on the driver's seat heater, I usually don't realize that it's on until I start getting too hot.

Reactions: 73Bruin
I wish they would improve the Audio UX. The fonts for the current playing track is like 8 point grey font on a white background... When I tap the album art to enlarge the audio ui, the tiny ass bar just moves up, doesn't actually get bigger... All that blank real-estate underneath it when doing BT audio, and the current playing track and title are still rendered in tiny 8 point grey font on a white background.

UI and AP suggestions. Perhaps some of these are already present, and I am just unaware of them...
  • Gestures to minimize and/or close open screens on the UI. Don't make me tap a small "X" while driving. Swiping down with several fingers would be much easier and safer.
  • Auto zoom on map when approaching turn or lane recommendations
  • Show the next turn info on the left screen above the car animation (as it's displayed when something on the right is full screen)
It already has these features. You can generally swipe down anywhere on the right side to make whatever is open disappear and have the map displayed. Alternatively, you can hit the icon on the bottom to make whatever it is disappear.

Mine zooms in for turns and shows what lane I should be in

If the music panel (or something else) is taking up the right side, nav directions are place above the car on the left side. EDIT: I see you know this but are requesting it do this all the time.

More along the lines of "Look farther ahead"

Move over _much_ earlier for an exit
NOA seems pretty hit and miss, but even when it's working it leaves lane changes far too late leaving me completely blocked from ever getting the exit.
On busy UK motorways you need to start moving over at least 2 miles before an exit or you'll never find a gap. For an AI with no intelligence and can't manoeuvre to a gap ahead it needs much more.

Also for NOA lane changes where you're just moving out of the "passing lane". If there's a car doing 10mph less 2 or 3 hundred yards in front (and nothing behind) then don't ask to pull in behind it only to have to pull out again. This is perhaps one blessing for having to use the turn signal to approve lane changes in the UK - it whinges at you but you can ignore it.

And FFS look at the curvature of the road ahead and slow down appropriately. The car will charge into a corner way too fast for comfort. If I dab the brakes it disengages TACC causing it to suddenly slow down too violently. Instead I have to push up on the gear stalk while simultaneously pressing slightly on the accelerator - it's really hard to do it smoothly. I know that tesla are trying to use fleet data to see where people often slow down and so the same but I'm not sure that's a good solution. Especially as I can't tell the difference between that and phantom breaking.

AP should maintain distance from lane line that remains when the other moves out or in such as with on/off ramps. Instead, my M3 will drift to the right attempting to maintain equal distance between lines. This can be very abrupt, especially at on ramps. This will likely get me pulled over or may one day cause an accident.

Reactions: laservet
I would like to suggest two changes to the display.
  1. Emergency display instructions would be better placed at the top of the screen rather than near the bottom so that one can read them without having to look down.
  2. The writing, especially for the emergency instructions, should be larger.
Both of these would help to increase safety while driving.

1- Eliminate phantom braking…now.
2- Since #1 is either impossible or not on Tesla’s priority list, create a “dumb cruise control” option…now.
I agree. I don't use autopilot, but I would like to use ordinary cruise control, as I have for the past 30 years on other cars. That's not possible with the inherently defective and dangerous Tesla variety of cruise control.

1: Even though I don't have FSD, I'd like to know my 'safety' score.
2: As other have stated, have lane keeping assist disabled when using the turn signal to manually change lanes.
3: Voice command to switch between 'Chill' and 'Standard' acceleration.
4: Modify "Battery Preconditioning for SuperCharging" so that it doesn't come on at the start of a trip when I have 300+ miles of range displayed (see photo). Let the high speed driving warm up the battery until preconditioning is actually needed within 20 miles of the SuperCharger.
IMG_5697.jpeg