Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UI Rant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so this has been done before, I get that.

The UI, its just pretty awful, it started off awful in 2014, got lots better and now has just got worse within the last 2 years. It's like a 17 year old web designer has been given free reign on a car interface.

Don't get me wrong, it's clever and pretty snazzy looking but as an actual usable car interface, it's horrible. Fonts too small, bad shades of grey, things you need buried deep in the layers, I mean come on why on earth is the speed and range so small and where the hell did the trip go from under the car graphic? Do I actually need a constant car graphic???

So I don't expect praise for my post, let's face it I have posted on a Fandom site but let's get real here, it's just not as good as it could, should or needs to be. I can't remember a car where I have squinted to see a grey on grey font!

That combined with weak processors (yes Tesla I have noticed the dropped fps on games) and lack of usb data ports, you're slipping Tesla. Lightly my last purchase, Taycan is looking a better option and not terrible value either in RWD.

Attachments

• obama-mic-drop.gif
    obama-mic-drop.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 349
OK, so this has been done before, I get that.

The UI, its just pretty awful, it started off awful in 2014, got lots better and now has just got worse within the last 2 years. It's like a 17 year old web designer has been given free reign on a car interface.

Don't get me wrong, it's clever and pretty snazzy looking but as an actual usable car interface, it's horrible. Fonts too small, bad shades of grey, things you need buried deep in the layers, I mean come on why on earth is the speed and range so small and where the hell did the trip go from under the car graphic? Do I actually need a constant car graphic???

So I don't expect praise for my post, let's face it I have posted on a Fandom site but let's get real here, it's just not as good as it could, should or needs to be. I can't remember a car where I have squinted to see a grey on grey font!

That combined with weak processors (yes Tesla I have noticed the dropped fps on games) and lack of usb data ports, you're slipping Tesla. Lightly my last purchase, Taycan is looking a better option and not terrible value either in RWD.
You might want to keep this post to refer back to when you get your Taycan. Beautiful car but it has major issues. You can’t keep it plugged into the wall (two weeks) without bricking it. The software is crap and if you think Tesla has service issues try dealing with Porsche.

On the plus side Im currently in London and I’ve seen a lot of Caymans, so it’s possible they can service them better over here. Anyone in Houston being sold a “new” Cayman with only 60 miles on it beware.

Attachments

• 24D80384-AB7F-4143-B9D1-1BB51DA1E188.jpeg
    24D80384-AB7F-4143-B9D1-1BB51DA1E188.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Funny
Reactions: ContrarianDC
It's really not that bad, just takes some getting used to.
I have driven a Tesla for a very long time. It really is bad,
I have found myself looking at the screen and not the road multiple times, which I have rarely had to do on the older software.
It feels like website navigation and not a car now, which does not work fluently when driving. There is so much screen that could be used for simple "buttons", its like everything you need has been put into cupboards, that you need to open, to get to what you want and even then they are all over the bloody place - WIFI for example, what the hell!?

I have to say that sure the UI is not mind blowing spectacular. I didn't mind the previous version. I do agree with one poster here, in that you just have to get use to it, overall it's functional and does its job.

I see a lot of posts stating how much they dislike the UI but I'm not really sure I've seen anyone put forward alternatives. Maybe a collective UI and UX specification would be a good starting point. It might fall on deaf ears, or maybe someone higher up the tesla chain sees something they can use. I know these forums are great for highlighting bugs and issues with the car but maybe we should actively offering possible solutions to issues, as I'm sure as a collective we can be very creative and persuasive.

Just food for though.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tundrok
I was curious, does anyone's mode 3 screen resemble this, or do you need full self-driving? The controls are still horrendous, this screen shows the only things you can change with one tap is, temperature, power usage, camera, films, toybox and media volume - how is that useful!!!?

V11-update-1024x768.jpg

Your best starting point is to understand what does and doesn't work with the current UI. From there you can take a stocktake of what can be improved and why. This is important to understand for determining what requirements you will need going forward. You will save tremendous levels of energy of UI rework, plus taking these steps will increase community engagement and buy in.

Reactions: Hello7
I was curious, does anyone's mode 3 screen resemble this, or do you need full self-driving? The controls are still horrendous, this screen shows the only things you can change with one tap is, temperature, power usage, camera, films, toybox and media volume - how is that useful!!!?

View attachment 756563
I do have FSD Beta and love that screen to drive in. It’s full of great information, but my guess is if you don’t have the new Beta it’s a bit worthless.

I will add to this UI Rant thread. IMO V11 UI is terrible. Text is too small, only 4 configurable buttons and the options for those buttons are limited to things that are not needed for one touch access yet leaves out defrost and seat heaters that should be obvious choices. Tire Pressure and Trip information were easily accessed using the sliding menu, simple one touch access to that information. Now those items are a couple screen taps away and part of a large screen of information that covers the main screen. How someone at Tesla thought this update was improvement I'll never understand. I really believe the person that came up with this UI has never driven a Model 3 or knows good UI design principles. Patiently waiting for Tesla to fix the UI issues, so far they have pushed out as many as 7 updates for bug fixes to V11, and I've run into bugs myself that were not there pre-V11.

I have to say that sure the UI is not mind blowing spectacular. I didn't mind the previous version. I do agree with one poster here, in that you just have to get use to it, overall it's functional and does its job.

I see a lot of posts stating how much they dislike the UI but I'm not really sure I've seen anyone put forward alternatives. Maybe a collective UI and UX specification would be a good starting point. It might fall on deaf ears, or maybe someone higher up the tesla chain sees something they can use. I know these forums are great for highlighting bugs and issues with the car but maybe we should actively offering possible solutions to issues, as I'm sure as a collective we can be very creative and persuasive.

Just food for though.
There have been multiple suggestion. So many I can’t capture them all from memory.

Some highlights are:
- add some controls as dockable/customization features. Eg defroster, etc
- comments that the current profile should be back on the top (at least temporarily when first turning on)
- comments that the cards for trip odometer & tire pressure should be put back. (I would read this as people want trip information all the time and easy (not screen consuming) access to tire pressure. But you asked for specific suggestions and many post have specifically said put the cards back).
- comments for bigger font with more contrast (around the speedometer). Against I would rad that as people are commenting about ‘readability’ but they are specifically saying ‘make xyz bigger’
- comments requesting that the car view be made smaller.
- comments to move the turn signal ui to the upper part of screen.
- some comments that the turn signal ui should switch sides of the display base on turn direction.
- comments to expand the number of customizable spots to be > 4.
- comments to remove ‘most recently used’ in favor of adding more customizable spots.
- comments to put wipers, defroster, defogger back on the bottom.
eyc…

There are already a lot, long treads on the topic; press is covering it as well.
For me, I think I have already provided my POV on V11 itself as well as the Tesla and management/strategy issues that V11 is an indicator of. I do not believe there is anything more substantial I could add to the discussion (but I may vent from time to time :) ). If they change - great. I may consider them again. As of know, I see my car as a temporary bridge until viable alternatives show up. It is a pity because I have always developed some sort of emotional relationships with my cars; even get depressed for a few days after selling them :)
At the moment, my relationship is not great - cannot really form a partnership, the sex is great, and I am looking around.

• Funny
Reactions: Hello7 and jmaddr