TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

UI redesign

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Jason Strachan, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Jason Strachan

Jason Strachan New Member

Hi all, I'm in the process of redesigning the user interface as a bit of an intellectual exercise and thought I would ask what things you would change and what features / ideas you would like to add? I guess I'm targeting this because for such an engineering marvel the UI is one aspect that seems to be lagging behind significantly. I'm looking to totally rethink the user experience and the way it looks so any ideas most welcome.

Some fun things that I'm planning on looking at:

• Location aware UI. functions that are more lightly to be used in certain locations become more prominent (for example opening your garage door)
    • Design a set of subtle themes for the UI that might match your interior
    • Complete reskin of all icons and UI elements to modernise the way it looks

Any other thoughts and ideas?

Cheers,
    J.

2. bluenation

bluenation Member

welcome to the forum, j!

have you been inspired by Material Design? the tesla UI currently looks too iOS 6 (altho still better than most cars' UI, tesla still relies on that UI more than any other car), would be nice if someone can come up with a flattened version. just a thought.

3. billarnett

billarnett Member

Every control/setting should have a little ? icon that brings up a quick help screen as some of them do now. Then that popup screen should have a hyperlink to the relevant page in the user manual. And every section of the user manual should have a "link" to the actual control screen.

Every bit of information that's available in service mode should be available to the user, in read-only mode, of course.