TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

UI slower on the X than the S?

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by KaiserSoze, May 25, 2016.

1. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze Member

I noticed that my P85D Model S loaner had a significantly more responsive UI than the one on my Model X, despite the relative youth of the X. Maps was the primary workload: scrolling, pinching, rotating. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it possible that the Model X is emulating an older processor, or is this something that should get looked at by service?

2. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze Member

After some more X experience, I conclude that it is most definitely slower. Very surprising. I will bring it up with service despite the obvious risks to my credibility.

3. grommet

grommet Member

The Model X and Model S share the same aging Tegra platform for compute power. The Model 3, thankfully, will use something newer.

• Like x 1
  4. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

If you search the forums you will find that someone ran speed tests on the browser and found them to be identical.

5. Alketi

Alketi Member

Is the Model X still using the Tegra 4? 3 years old is 3 generations old in ARM CPUs. Hopefully they upgrade soon.

6. 2virgule5

2virgule5 Member

I believe they've been using Tegra 3 since the first model S and did not change the platform so far. A quick Sunspider on the web browser should give all of us, X and S, around 4000 ms (I tried on a X last week and it gave me the same score than my 2014 S). From a dev point of view it makes sense to keep the same platform instead of creating multiple branches for the OS but it's true that it is getting long in the tooth...

Tesla Motors Model X Rolls Out with Tegra Onboard | NVIDIA Blog

7. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze Member

That could well be. I don't use the browser. I imagine it's speed is usually dominated by LTE, wifi, and/or speed of remote websites.

My experience derives solely from manipulating maps, where the X is slower. In my tests, the map was already fully downloaded. So odd, isn't it?

8. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

Try manipulating the maps in half screen mode not in full screen, does that help?