Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.28.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just updated to .6. Just to get a little bit consumerist for a moment. I've paid a lot of money for this car and while I'm still not regretting it, I am facing some facts:
It's an expensive car and when compared to others in the same price bracket, the overall finish leaves a little to be desired BUT the tech is supposed to outweigh that..
However:
The software tech does not work as advertised in the European market...smart summon (or any summon) doesn't work properly. FSD doesn't work properly. Voice doesn't work properly.
The last three or four updates have not addressed any of those issues and there is only so long that a games update or foreign language support will be mildly interesting.
I think Tesla have to up their customer support game and start proactively explaining to non-USA regions (it's not hard, an email will do) what we can expect and when.
All that said, acceleration boost will always bring a smile to my face...

I think that outside the states Tesla does not have a say in what can work and not etc. it is outside regulations that are restricting them.
But that said, even some of the things that they can control they do not do it that well compared to other premium manufactureres.

I have to complain about the poor LTE/3G signal I still have and lost 5 miles on the 90% battery charge after 2,600 miles

I thought you already raised the comms issues ... is that not the case? My own view on battery miles ... after 2,600 ... nobody will regard this as an issue ... you may even get them back ... you can't get much of an idea of degradation at this stage surely. If you read around the subject you'll find that there may be some early effects and then a levelling off for several thousand miles ... but really I recommend that you don't read around the subject unless you want to promote unnecessary worry. By all means take a note but I would think it's better to forget about it for as long as you can ... if you like monitoring these things then subscribe to Teslafi and pay more money to increase your anxiety further! (that was a joke folks);)

I thought you already raised the comms issues ... is that not the case? My own view on battery miles ... after 2,600 ... nobody will regard this as an issue ... you may even get them back ... you can't get much of an idea of degradation at this stage surely. If you read around the subject you'll find that there may be some early effects and then a levelling off for several thousand miles ... but really I recommend that you don't read around the subject unless you want to promote unnecessary worry. By all means take a note but I would think it's better to forget about it for as long as you can ... if you like monitoring these things then subscribe to Teslafi and pay more money to increase your anxiety further! (that was a joke folks);)

Sorry...I am worried as this is my only car and don't like losing miles if they are really lost...I've booked an appointment with Tesla for tomorrow for this and the LTE connection.

Don't want to be a grinch with this :(

• Funny
Reactions: CMc1
Sorry...I am worried as this is my only car and don't like losing miles if they are really lost...I've booked an appointment with Tesla for tomorrow for this and the LTE connection.

You can’t really say the miles are “lost” unless you recalibrate your battery management system - that is, run it down close to zero, then charge to 100% and then see what the quoted range is.

There are many factors that can alter the displayed range slightly, it really is nothing to worry about.

Service appointments for 5 miles "lost"? :eek:

Well, yes and for some problems with the LTE comms.

It turns out it's a lease car so I won't be paying anything and the Service station is just 3 miles away. So just for peace of mind.

I am still getting used to all the EV world, it's so different! Maybe is just a newbie anxiety, don't know. Don't blame me please! :oops:

Reactions: Durzel
:)

As said above the range can be affected by various different things, the ambient temperature, the battery temperature, driving style, weather conditions, aircon usage, etc. Since everything is powered from the battery it means that the range is affected by all of those things in a way that a regular internal combusion engine car isn't.

There is also the calibration aspect as mentioned above. If you've never actually run the battery down close to zero and charged it back up again then the estimate of range is going to be slightly inaccurate anyway, as the car doesn't "know" what empty (or close to) is.

I know there are some people that worry about battery degradation but at the end of the day the car has an 8 year warranty on the battery, so if/when it actually does look like it's lost a disproportionate amount of range it can be dealt with then. So long as you're not charging it up to 100% constantly, or rapid charging every single time, then it probably won't degrade in a meaningful way.

Well, yes and for some problems with the LTE comms.

It turns out it's a lease car so I won't be paying anything and the Service station is just 3 miles away. So just for peace of mind.

I am still getting used to all the EV world, it's so different! Maybe is just a newbie anxiety, don't know. Don't blame me please! :oops:
Change the display from miles to %. Then all your range worries will go away :)

We've probably all been there! It's hard not to be drawn into comparing numbers ... don't apologise! (After all you may be absolutely right and you've just started on a steep slope of terminal battery degradation! ... another joke :D ..)

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
I am still getting used to all the EV world, it's so different!

It's true that we all become super sensitised to any perceived deviation from what we take to be clear numbers ... "statements of fact" ... but in some ways this is no different to the piston car world. I had several cars that claimed to predict my remaining range ... and they were nowhere close! If they had ever managed to be within +/- 5 miles I would have been delighted ... but 15/20 miles was good enough. Of course we are generally working with tighter margins so it's easy to panic! I hadn't much bothered with following local journeys on the car's energy graph ... you have to put in your destination so it becomes a "trip" which seems silly if you know where you are going. Anyway I've done a few just to see how it goes and to my surprise it seems to be pretty much bang on. The car is set to percentages rather than miles but I do seem to hit the percentage expected at arrival.

Reactions: Roy W.