Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.36.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I read on another thread somewhere, the future plan is that the cameras will see much further ahead and be able to reduce the speed gradually so that you are at the speed limit when reaching the respective sign. (The Audi system does this in the e-tron already).

My experience so far (No FSD): TACC doesn't seem to change the speed down automatically, but AP does (and gives the warning message on the display). Never automatically changes the speed up. AP seems smoother generally, particularly the steering (less jerky), but position is still not what I would call optimal. It does as Roadcraft says and moves to the left of the lane at a right bend (to improve visibility around said bend) and conversely to the right on a left hand bend, but just a bit exaggerated in my book (either too close to the kerb or going over the centre line).

Would still prefer TACC to set to the current speed when activated.

I don't have FSD either. So if auto lane control is on, yours slows down on entering lower speed areas but doesn't speed up?

I’m gonna say this as an opinion, not intending to wind anyone up - it’s just an opinion.

“Autosteer / lane-keeping” is a bag of poo on every car I’ve had that pretends to have this. It’s a gimmick and pointless.

The car has a steering wheel and all you need is one hand to steer the car when cruising in a relaxed way. 2 hands better but it’s really no effort. I have never grasped the concept of why it’s “cool” to be able to get away with no hands on the wheel for x seconds until the alert pops up, or finding hacks to fooling the sensors into thinking hands are on the wheel.

This feature is dangerous and again pointless on more involving roads, you can’t possibly be alert enough to be responsible behind the wheel if you are letting the car steer for you. Your concentration is naturally diminished by thinking the car is steering for you, you are not engaged enough in the driving process.

As I say, just an opinion. Active cruise has a place in the driving toolbox. A car that steers itself does not. Trains do that.

First thing I do on any car is disengage the auto lane-keeping system, a warning is fine but physically deciding which direction the car goes in is an awful experience for a driver to pretend to trust/like.

I don’t mind a safety system kicking in and doing emergency-only avoidance when I have lost concentration or am incapable of avoiding something that the car can for example if I passed out or simply did not detect something ahead/behind coming from the side. Same for emergency braking. That is progress and is to be applauded for genuinely improving safety, but I should be responsible for the direction the car is travelling in normal driving conditions.

I may have to go and hide in a corner ready to be roasted.

I’m gonna say this as an opinion, not intending to wind anyone up - it’s just an opinion.

“Autosteer / lane-keeping” is a bag of poo on every car I’ve had that pretends to have this. It’s a gimmick and pointless.

The car has a steering wheel and all you need is one hand to steer the car when cruising in a relaxed way. 2 hands better but it’s really no effort. I have never grasped the concept of why it’s “cool” to be able to get away with no hands on the wheel for x seconds until the alert pops up, or finding hacks to fooling the sensors into thinking hands are on the wheel.

This feature is dangerous and again pointless on more involving roads, you can’t possibly be alert enough to be responsible behind the wheel if you are letting the car steer for you. Your concentration is naturally diminished by thinking the car is steering for you, you are not engaged enough in the driving process.

As I say, just an opinion. Active cruise has a place in the driving toolbox. A car that steers itself does not. Trains do that.

First thing I do on any car is disengage the auto lane-keeping system, a warning is fine but physically deciding which direction the car goes in is an awful experience for a driver to pretend to trust/like.

I don’t mind a safety system kicking in and doing emergency-only avoidance when I have lost concentration or am incapable of avoiding something that the car can for example if I passed out or simply did not detect something ahead/behind coming from the side. Same for emergency braking. That is progress and is to be applauded for genuinely improving safety, but I should be responsible for the direction the car is travelling in normal driving conditions.

I agree. I find driving the car myself far more relaxing than with autopilot enabled. I'm sure it will improve with time but currently it just makes me too nervous to enjoy the technology.

I don’t think you need to hide. I had lane keep/Smart cruise on my Ioniq. Cruise was fine, lane keep was pants but at least it didn’t panic when passing lorries or scary bridges.
Used smart cruise a lot and speed limiter (sadly still missing from the M3). Used Lane keep rarely, though at least once engaged, indicating and changing lane only disabled it until the manoeuvre was completed, then it re-engaged automatically without changing anything.

Tesla has a long way to go to depart from the skittish clunky system currently in beta.

I think what concerns me more than anything is that it’s such a damn good car to drive, I forget autosteer isn’t on. o_O

there is much talk about changing speed to conform to speed limits automatically. I’ll re-iterate. It does do it in autosteer but not in TACC alone. It also doesn’t do it in autosteer if you’ve just indicated and changed lane and re-engaged it. You have to disable TACC and go back into autosteer. That’s a complete nonsense and a total distraction.

Spotted a strange feature whilst stopped at lights today. I could spin the visualisation round to show the vehicles behind me. Or to be more accurate, I could see about 6 vehicles in the adjacent, outside, lane, but absolutely nothing in my own lane. Strange that the visualisation didn’t even portray the car stopped behind me. As I drove off, the visualisation spun round and gave the normal forward view.

Completely agree. I found auto-pilot pretty grim having tried it in the first few months of ownership and now hardly bother. Much less stress simply driving it. Charging up to a truck in the slow lane, disengaging, re-engaging etc amongst infernal bongs never really made much sense to me. Much easier to just pre-empt in manual and overtake. At least for me. Plus phantom braking happened one too many times for comfort. Oh and bizarre steering correction when completely unnecessary.

I'm glad I didn't buy FSD but I can appreciate why some folk would if only for the excitement of the development. But seems a long way off from being viable/safe? Maybe the new re-write will be a big step forward.

I agree.

Summon is where it’s at though. You haven’t lived until you’ve made your car move backwards and forwards skittishly at a glacial pace, whilst remaining in touching distance lest it give up. Wow your friends by telling them that the car could come and pick you up from across the car park, so long as you were in fact already next to it and therefore didn’t need to be. But it could, trust me, it could.

Joking aside from a pure stress point of view I find AP more anxiety inducing than just driving as well, mainly because it tends to drive closer to the left than I’d like, and I just don’t fully trust it.

Autopilot isn't supposed to be used on non-motorways anyway. I'd stretch that to some of the major A roads where it works well.

For long journeys it takes a lot of the effort out.. I can travel further and be less tired at the end. But around town I'll let others beta test that..
It drives better than me! But it's just as c*@p at keeping to the speed limits. If the Gov review goes to plan the nag may be a thing of the past by next year.

Well, the UK rollout seems to have stalled! Yesterday it looked like a massive rollout had begun and I was hopeful of the update on my (non-FSD) M3 but it looks like it went to a lot of cars in the States and has slowed again. Does anyone without FSD have this update yet?
Yes got it yesterday morning MP3 none FSD.
I’m finding the new setting of cruise limit intermittent at best so far.

Edit: sorry I was clearly a bit late to this party! Should have noted the number of unread pages.

Last edited:
Reactions: m3gt2
Autopilot isn't supposed to be used on non-motorways anyway. I'd stretch that to some of the major A roads where it works well.

For long journeys it takes a lot of the effort out.. I can travel further and be less tired at the end. But around town I'll let others beta test that..

I feel that most of the effort in motorway driving comes from changing lanes. Whether you have FSD or not, this seems to me to be more demanding on AP than without, especially when factoring the risk of phantom braking when moving back in. Unless you are prepared to sit in the middle lane on TACC for hours on end, I can’t see how AP reduces stress levels much, if at all. Even with the nags I find it more difficult to maintain an adequate level of attention in AP mode. Without, I think attention would soon drift away. I love the idea of a car that could drive itself but it would have to give me 100% confidence that it could cope with anything happening around it appropriately while I slumber. This would include speed limit changes, roadworks, breakdowns, overtaking, navigation etc. I don’t think the current software is anywhere close. I look forward to V11.

Yes got it yesterday morning MP3 none FSD.
I’m finding the new setting of cruise limit intermittent at best so far.

Edit: sorry I was clearly a bit late to this party! Should have noted the number of unread pages.
Got it yesterday. The selection is more consistent today and the speed sign seem to work.
HOWEVER. Last night only charged at 4kw. Solid 4 all the way took 3:15 hrs to add 10kw to the car. Will check tonight. Anyone else?

Got it yesterday. The selection is more consistent today and the speed sign seem to work.
HOWEVER. Last night only charged at 4kw. Solid 4 all the way took 3:15 hrs to add 10kw to the car. Will check tonight. Anyone else?
I can confirm that I charged last night and got the full 32amp so hopefully just a one off for you. Have you rebooted after the update?

• Funny
Reactions: DaminGJ