Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.40.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still very shy about passing parked cars on TACC. On a second journey there was a row of three cars and I kept well away but still slowed to 15mph in a 30 limit with no cars around. A bit further on we’re two cars parked, one each side of the road with two car’s width in the middle. Car really squealed at that and braked to 10mph!
Not quite fixed Elon!

Still very shy about passing parked cars on TACC. On a second journey there was a row of three cars and I kept well away but still slowed to 15mph in a 30 limit with no cars around. A bit further on we’re two cars parked, one each side of the road with two car’s width in the middle. Car really squealed at that and braked to 10mph!
Not quite fixed Elon!

The “phantom braking” people on Twitter asked Elon about is more the random “going 70 on the motorway, the brakes slam on for no reason” than the overly cautiousness of parked cars.

So try AP on the motorway and see if you’re treated to that dose of adrenaline!

Reactions: timpharrison
After a drive this morning on 2020.40.3, I can concur that I'm still getting random braking. I'm also experiencing a new phenomenon. The car on TACC or Autopilot consistently thinks that the stop line for red lights or T junctions is a good 6-7 feet back from where it actually is. I'll approach a red, it will see it, slow me down but the car stops short. The line rendered on the screen matches with where it stops (ie it's also wrong)

I agree. At one set of local lights it was stopping 15 feet back, that’s now reduced but not by much. If I creep forward to the line; a)the car doesn’t like it and brakes noisily and, b) the light colours disappear. The lights remain there they’re just not on!

Its certainly a regression for me. 36.X would go right up to the stop line and still have no trouble seeing the light colour.

Earlier this week I discovered that 2020.36.11 doesn't read temporary motorway speed limits, although it does read pretty much every other speed limit sign, including 30mph ones that are set onto a large, rectangular, white sign. If 2020.40.xx adds temporary motorway limits that would be very useful.

i just drove our model 3 and found that it detects 20mph speed limit signs on roads adjacent to the 30mph main road. And then sets that as the limit. Pesky.

Not quite fixed Elon!
I presume that feeling is not unexpected though given that autopilot and autosteer are definitely not designed for any streets with parked cars (see manual), so it's an accident waiting to happen... :p

Reactions: Florafauna
Dealing with parked cars where the Tesla has to cross or go closer to the central white line seems to result in computer says no - as it should do really. It seems to mostly recognise it's a 'car', or sometime a 'cone' but doesn't know whether to swerve (it's parked) or stop (it's the back of a traffic jam/solid brick wall) so it just assumes it should stop.
Likewise with oncoming traffic crossing onto your half of the road - naturally the computer panics and brakes.
If you think about what you as a driver do, you're looking past, around, under, even straight through parked cars, using car body reflections on unsighted bends, reflected movement in shop windows etc to get as full a picture as possible. Cameras just aren't that clever. Maybe a google streetview car raised camera is the answer.
My Audi had adaptive cruise and would brake for binbags/parked cars/central reservation island crossings etc on 20-30-40mph single carriageway roads. Tesla MS so far seems to be the same. Trick for smooth progress and zero windscreen-nose contact is to flick out of cruise as you approach, manually control the car through the problem then flick back into auto, and not attempt century-old road layouts in AP like the bloke on youtube with the blue tape on his steering wheel.