Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.40.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that didn't last long... 2020.40.7 - lets see if that sorts a few recent issues. Seems to be mostly Model Y so far.

Might be this? May explain Model Y so far.

Your car’s range has increased with new software that improves the efficiency of the motors and the climate control system. Note: these changes do not impact acceleration or overall climate control performance.

Try as I might, after upgrading to the latest software on my 3, my android phone will not pair correctly. The contact list won't transfer nor will it sync properly. If I am called, I can hear the phone ringing on the car speaker but there is no way to accept the call without touching the phone. When stopped, if I call someone direct from the phone, the call goes through on the car speaker but again, no indication of anything to do with the phone on the screen.

Try as I might, after upgrading to the latest software on my 3, my android phone will not pair correctly. The contact list won't transfer nor will it sync properly. If I am called, I can hear the phone ringing on the car speaker but there is no way to accept the call without touching the phone. When stopped, if I call someone direct from the phone, the call goes through on the car speaker but again, no indication of anything to do with the phone on the screen.
I’ve just added a new iPhone and deleted the old one. Surprisingly no issues at all (other than trying to text by voice command.
All you can try is the perennial ‘switch it off and on again’ :rolleyes:

Two observations that might be new:

1. The music volume seems to change with speed
2. I'm noticed a slight "cogging" at very low speeds which might suggest they've changed something in the drive software

Last edited:
2020.40.7 and .8 don't yet appear to be going mainstream yet, if at all.

.7 remains Model Y - seems to be efficiency improvements
.8 still Model S & X - possibly charge rate improvements
Model 3 remains firmly on .4
.4.5 remains a bit of an outlier for S & X

Well that didn't last long... 2020.40.7 - lets see if that sorts a few recent issues. Seems to be mostly Model Y so far.

And another - 2020.40.8 - a mix of S and X of different regions

First proper run on 40.4. 88 mile round trip to the Elveden supercharger to use up some more referral miles before they run out on Monday.

the drive on NOA was significantly improved. I didn’t get a single steering nag for the first ten miles and when I did it was because I’d invoked aan auto lane change. It seemed to ask for a steering nudge whenever I did that. On the journey there, there were only three occasions where I got a steering nag otherwise. On thé return journey just half a dozen over the 44 miles. Off ramp exits well timed too. Not as late as they were. The last exit is a pretty short run off with a sharp left hander at the end. Slowed nicely and took it perfectly.
overall a much smoother drive than 36.12

Reactions: Sparkeur
I had a mighty phantom braking moment driving down the A9 from the Aviemore area.
We were following two cars at 60mph using AP and the lead car indicated and moved into a turning right lane in the centre of the road.

The car in front and I carried on at the same speed but I dropped from 60 to around 30 rapidly as I reached the car turning right!

Luckily, the camper van behind was a good few lengths away.

I can only assume that because the turning right lane was on a slow bend, somehow the radar became confused even though the
AP blue lines showed the car outside them.

The rest of the journey was virtually faultless apart from the odd speed twitch passing trucks.

They really do need to sort this as I was close to a serious rear shunt had the following camper van been closer.

Do Tesla receive these close calls as all automatic braking should get referred to them as a matter of course or they will never bottom the problem.

I should have added that there is a right hand turn off the A47 with a turning lane with chevrons either end. If I’m following a car that pulls in to the turning lane, mine always tries to follow it despite clear road marking. It tried again today but I was ready for it! Haven’t quite cracked that yet!

They really do need to sort this as I was close to a serious rear shunt had the following camper van been closer.
It's all well and good saying it's in beta and to use with caution however when you only have a split second to react to a dangerous decision taken by autopilot it's really hard to exercise any caution.

For me, I only use autopilot when there's no others with me in the car and there's no cars behind me. On 40.4 it still slams on the brakes when the motorway passes over another road below it with a lower speed limit.