Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.40.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being slightly negative, this is the third 'update' I've had where the release notes are all the same. Nothing seems to be changing....unless it's just me:(
I think it’s just bug fixes. 40.4 certainly improved off ramps in NoA. Lane changes seemed smoother too.
Some changes will be barely noticeable. Perhaps some phantom braking has been removed.

Might not be global thing, but after update to 40.8, my charging started and completed notifications were turned off in the app.
They were on yesterday.

Worth watching but too early to say if its coincidence or not. The notifications are never 100% and for example, today we got the start notification but not the stop notification - no change in software and not unusual behaviour.

Being slightly negative, this is the third 'update' I've had where the release notes are all the same. Nothing seems to be changing....unless it's just me:(

The only put headline changes in the release notes. Other updates (normally year.x.y.z) are very minor changes such as purely bug fixes but some Like 2020.40.x will have significant changes just not headline enough to change the release notes or affect your particular car, iirc 2020.40.7/8 bought in range improvements and faster charge rates for some vehicles and likely AP/FSD behavioural changes.

Not every release follows this though. Last year we got 2019.32.11 and 2019.40.50 which were significant improvements on previous 2019.x versions bringing in v10 and 'cones'. This year, 2020.40.8.10 is the big rewrite so a significant divergence with release note update, but it is a limited, likely development orientated deployment. But was something big lurking in vanilla 2020.40.8?

This is a super minor gripe, but I wish the PIN could be longer than 4 digits. Still, beggars choosers etc.

Why? Four digits will stop the opportunistic thief if you forget to lock the car.

The pin is a good feature but like all passwords they are susceptible to the owner of the password being coerced into providing them. If someone wants your car badly they will probably make you give it to them whether it’s 4 6 or 8.

Had the notification for 36.11 -> 40.8 this eve. 5hr trip, with family, planned for Sunday.

Known problems, or unknown problems? That is the install question! How is phantom braking on .8?

If 8.10 is the FSD rewrite, wonder if we get it riding shotgun on the second CPU? Happy to have it along for the ride if it accelerates the roll out.

If 8.10 is the FSD rewrite, wonder if we get it riding shotgun on the second CPU? Happy to have it along for the ride if it accelerates the roll out.

I wondered that but the 2020.40.4 to .8 download was very quick (so probably quite small) and I don't think (hope as it was no 'quantum leap') .4 has any evidence of the rewrite in it.

tbh, as far as I was concerned, 2020.36.x was a bit of a miss as far as reliability went so I was happy when 40.4 came along so that we could move on. That said, I never got the chance to test 2020.40.x so it may have been as bad.

Why? Four digits will stop the opportunistic thief if you forget to lock the car.

The pin is a good feature but like all passwords they are susceptible to the owner of the password being coerced into providing them. If someone wants your car badly they will probably make you give it to them whether it’s 4 6 or 8.

4 digits can be brute forced, as the car doesn’t restrict you if you put in the pin wrong too many times:

I get the above won’t be done by an opportunist thief but the longer the pin the better.

If you know how, (Youtube: How to manually open a Tesla M3 Glovebox) you can open the glovebox in about 15 seconds with or without a password - or an owner.

I'm mildly depressed that having only owned the car for just over 6 months it's already at the point where future updates are going to have things that don't apply to my car because it's "obsolete". I'm mainly thinking things like charge port heating, passenger vent disabling when no one present, efficiency improvements due to heatpump/octovalve, etc. :(

Reactions: Sparkeur