Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.44.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up a refreshed M3 LR last week waiting for the updates to start to be received, when do updates start after pickup? I have selected advanced to speed it up in the menu

It depends, but on what it depends no one knows.

If you don't get anything after a month, I would query it, but you hopefully will get one much quicker. We got our first overnight, but there was a flurry of regular updates at that time. But others have reported waiting several weeks before getting anything. Its all down to when Tesla decide to target your car, which may well be different to when they decide to target an otherwise identical car in same geographic region.

• Informative
Reactions: Beady3647
Picked up a refreshed M3 LR last week waiting for the updates to start to be received, when do updates start after pickup? I have selected advanced to speed it up in the menu
Shouldn't be any delay because it's a new car, just when your car falls into the unknown requirements for an update. To give you an idea a got my car 29/9/2019 and the first update was 2/10/2019 and for some updates I've been one of the first to receive, even though I don't have FSD yet others I've been one of the last. I'm currently on 2020.44.10.1 and have been for a while.

It's not obvious at all how the timing of the issuing of software updates works out. Sometimes it's quick for you and sometimes it's slower. If it's of interest check out the Teslafi web page that shows how the versions are coming in: TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker
You'll often find people on this forum panicking because they think they've been left behind ... then you see that only about 30% of the Teslafi people are on the latest version. Not all similar cars get their updates at the same time. I also wonder if the Advanced setting makes much, if any, difference! I've very occasionally got a software update early and sometimes pretty late ... but usually I'm middle of the pack despite being on the Advanced software update setting.

Reactions: Beady3647
Shouldn't be any delay because it's a new car,

Actually, there is in this case. Not because the car is new, but because the new car is a refreshed model, which is right now on its own software version - probably because some new hardware features are not yet merged into the standard software.

At least that is what we see in Denmark right now. The refreshed Model 3 runs software 2020.35. This software version never existed for the pre-refresh model, which jumped directly from 2020.32 to 2020.36.

• Informative
Reactions: m3gt2
Actually, there is in this case. Not because the car is new, but because the new car is a refreshed model, which is right now on its own software version - probably because some new hardware features are not yet merged into the standard software.

At least that is what we see in Denmark right now. The refreshed Model 3 runs software 2020.35. This software version never existed for the pre-refresh model, which jumped directly from 2020.32 to 2020.36.

This could be true, I have a refreshed model and I'm also on 2020.35 with no update available :(

We also know from deliveries in Germany (I have been following tff-forum.de for this information) that 2020.35 was being installed in 2021 cars built all throughout October and likely into November (their paperwork shows build date).

So... Something has held back any updates for a couple of months for the 2021 model. Headlight software maybe, or some other component.

It depends, but on what it depends no one knows.

If you don't get anything after a month, I would query it, but you hopefully will get one much quicker. We got our first overnight, but there was a flurry of regular updates at that time. But others have reported waiting several weeks before getting anything. Its all down to when Tesla decide to target your car, which may well be different to when they decide to target an otherwise identical car in same geographic region.

Thanks all. Will keep a eye on it still on 2020.35 perhaps I’m at the back of queue as I haven’t got FSD but speed limit enhancements would be really welcome as the car at some dual carriageway junctions tries to slow down which is annoying on AP.

Thanks all. Will keep a eye on it still on 2020.35 perhaps I’m at the back of queue as I haven’t got FSD but speed limit enhancements would be really welcome as the car at some dual carriageway junctions tries to slow down which is annoying on AP.

It’s worth raising a service appointment if you don’t get one fairly quick. I would say maximum of a month personally. I didn’t get an update for well over a month and it turned out to be a problem on Tesla’s side. At the end of the day you’ve bought an expensive car and you understandably want the current release.

2020.44.15 now installing.

Using this as a bit of perspective to put some newer users minds to rest, some of us got this 10 or more days ago. So even in OTA release cycle, delays of several weeks can take place and even then it may not be latest as 2020.44.25 is rolling for some - .25 had all recent model variants where as .15 and .16 were specific to certain models - MCU 1 vehicles seem to have been left behind for the time being iirc .36. So what version and when is often a bit of a lottery.

Reactions: Adopado
It’s worth raising a service appointment if you don’t get one fairly quick.
I don't see any reason for that, as long as everyone else who received their car with 2020.35 haven't got an update either.

It is quite clear that Tesla must have had a reason for creating a new version of the software, only for these refresh models. I would expect those cars to be on another update cycle until this reason goes away.

Reactions: CMc1 and Adopado
It is quite clear that Tesla must have had a reason for creating a new version of the software, only for these refresh models. I would expect those cars to be on another update cycle until this reason goes away.

I don't think the refreshed M3's are getting a special version. I suspect that they would be pretty close to the Model Y hardware which occasionally, like 2020.44.16, get their own release once in a while but only for a few days. 44.16 has already been superseded with 44.25 which is already rolling in decent numbers and is rolling to all models although possibly not some early MCU 1 and/or AP1 cars. Its not Tesla's thing to have different major versions for different Models, although, like with 44.16, its not unheard of a minor release to target a specific vehicle, but thats probably no different to them targeting a specific region or even just a specific group. Many here will have had versions that simply never went major release.

As for cars being delivered with a non OTA release, that seems to becommon practice. I think they just ship from factory a different branch to OTA versions and its pot luck whether its updated prior to customer delivery to an OTA version. We got delivered with 2019.15.x, when .32.x was current, but that didn't mean that it was a model specific built, just that was what the factory had access to when built. So no reason to be concerned that software for 2021 cars is any more of a work in progress than the regular OTA builds, which will follow a 4 week version convention and arrive as and when.

As my post above, there are only just some cars updating now with 44.15 version thats 11 days old which I believe is longer than first UK 2021 shipments, so even the oldest UK 2021 vehicles are not out of sync with that version in the current OTA rollout. 44.15 is already old as 44.25 is also rolling in quantities seen with early phases of rollout. Its not out of the realms of possibility that to prevent two updates in quick succession, 2021 cars are in the 44.25 queue along with everyone else.

Had a 40 mile round trip this morning running on NoA.
My TACC is set to current speed +or- 0.
Pulled onto the DC at 70 engaged TACC. The A47 changes from DC to single lane a couple of times and the are also different speed limits.
The car recognised all the limits and dropped or increased as necessary. That surprised me, I thought it need manual intervention.
Good trip. It behaved perfectly.