Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.44.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
44.15 installed this afternoon. When do we get new maps ? Seems like lots of bug fixes going on, some good new stuff like proper normal cruise setting for TACC but no maps !

Tesla giveth, Tesla take it away...

Tesla pulled the 2020 version and first reverted to the original 2019 version then released a slightly newer 2019 version. I am assuming not much difference between the two 2019 versions as they were both equally outdated but possibly contained something new as it was a prerequisite for the stop line control.

Current version is EU-2019.21-12489, previous stable version was EU-2019-20-10482 which I believe some may still be on. The pulled EU-2020.32-12313 version lasted about a week.

Thats still 3x as many updates as we got last year.

Even 1 a year is probably a better hit rate than many car manufacturers.

Tesla giveth, Tesla take it away...

Tesla pulled the 2020 version and first reverted to the original 2019 version then released a lightly newer 2019 version. I am assuming not much difference between the two 2019 versions as they were both equally outdated but possibly contained something new as it was a prerequisite for the stop line control.

Current version is EU-2019.21-12489, previous stable version was EU-2019-20-10482 which I believe some may still be on. The pulled EU-2020.32-12313 version lasted about a week.

Thats still 3x as many updates as we got last year.

Even 1 a year is probably a better hit rate than many car manufacturers.
And the map updates are free. Unlike ICE manufacturers

Toyota map updates were free for the first few years of ownership. BMW maps were similarly free for the first three years. Not sure about other manufacturers.
VW charge for map updates. I bought my daughter a new VW Polo in August which came with VW SatNav and also Apple Carplay. The car salesman said to just use Waze on Carplay as the VW Maps would age and it was something like £200 to update them.

Has anyone else found that since 2020.44.x every time you go to the car Spotify is playing. It's off when I leave the car, playing when I come back.
Yes, happened twice yesterday. I work from home so not checked today but thought it was odd yesterday. I definitely paused Spotify and it was playing when I got back to the car after shopping. Then again later in the day. Odd!

VW charge for map updates. I bought my daughter a new VW Polo in August which came with VW SatNav and also Apple Carplay. The car salesman said to just use Waze on Carplay as the VW Maps would age and it was something like £200 to update them.

Sounds like a good reason not to buy VW! £200 for maps is simply outrageous, as there is near-zero cost to VW. They have to produce updated maps to load into new cars anyway, so all the upfront cost of producing the mapping file is already paid for. Making a copy of this for existing users cannot cost much, even allowing for any licensing fees they have to pay. Paid for services, like Google Maps, isn't expensive, either. They list the price for the fully customised map package at $7 per 1000 requests.

As well as the odd Spotify issue I had yesterday (playing when returning to the car), I also had an odd one where the visualisation locked-up when driving. Message something like "visualisation temporarily suspended, may return when the car is next driven". It was the "may" bit which worried me! All the main driving functions continued to work but I wasn't using AP so can't vouch for that.

It didn't self clear so after about 5 minutes I pulled over and rebooted. All good. I haven't had chance to check today. The system glitched immediately after I pulled over to one side to let a police vehicle with flashing lights pass. May be purely coincidental but did the intense flashing confuse it? Bit of an odd one and not ideal!

Sounds like a good reason not to buy VW! £200 for maps is simply outrageous, as there is near-zero cost to VW. They have to produce updated maps to load into new cars anyway, so all the upfront cost of producing the mapping file is already paid for. Making a copy of this for existing users cannot cost much, even allowing for any licensing fees they have to pay. Paid for services, like Google Maps, isn't expensive, either. They list the price for the fully customised map package at $7 per 1000 requests.

A good few years ago there was a "Winter Offer" of £50 for mapping updates for Volvos, as it coincided with an annual service visit for my V70 I asked about the offer and was told it only applied to limited (newer) models - it would be over £200 for mine - needless to say I declined that one. The set of mapping DVDs supplied with my September 2009 plate car were still in the glovebox.

I also had an odd one where the visualisation locked-up when driving. Message something like "visualisation temporarily suspended, may return when the car is next driven". It was the "may" bit which worried me! All the main driving functions continued to work but I wasn't using AP so can't vouch for that.

That one, or similar, has been around since at least 2020.36.x Driving Visualisation Temporarily Degraded... Not seen any confirmed cause or resolution.

AP is notably worse in 2020.44.15. Seems to be hogging the right hand side of the lane with instances of ‘hunting’/bouncing within the lane.

Minor phantom braking also witnessed in unusual situations.

A change has been introduced somewhere.

Observation over a 300 mile drive at night. (Frequently carry this out so have a good baseline to compare against)

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and browellm
AP is notably worse in 2020.44.15. Seems to be hogging the right hand side of the lane with instances of ‘hunting’/bouncing within the lane.

Minor phantom braking also witnessed in unusual situations.

A change has been introduced somewhere.

Observation over a 300 mile drive at night. (Frequently carry this out so have a good baseline to compare against)
That’s odd. Mines the reverse. I went out late afternoon for my flu jab and it seemed to be closer to kerb than before. Might just have seemed closer because it was getting dark.
Perhaps 2020.48 is just around the corner...