Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CMc1

supercharge.info editor
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2019
North, UK
No known rollout as of yet (TeslaFi/TeslaScope etc) but this article references 2020.48 will fix the confirmed Model X relay security attack:

https://www.imec-int.com/en/press/b...-imec-demonstrate-serious-flaws-tesla-model-x

Two weaknesses exposed

“To summarize, we can steal a Tesla Model X vehicle by first approaching a victim key fob within about 5 meters to wake up the key fob. Afterwards we can send our own software to the key fob in order to gain full control over it. This process takes 1.5 minutes but can be easily performed over a range of more than 30 meters. After compromising the key fob, we can obtain valid commands that will allow unlocking the target vehicle. After approaching the vehicle and unlocking it we can access the diagnostic connector inside the vehicle. By connecting to the diagnostic connector, we can pair a modified key fob to the car. The newly paired key fob allows us to then start the car and drive off. By exploiting these two weaknesses in the Tesla Model X keyless entry system we are thus able to steal the car in a few minutes”, says Dr. Benedikt Gierlichs, researcher at COSIC.

The proof of concept attack was realized using a self-made device (see the video) built from inexpensive equipment: a Raspberry Pi computer ($35) with a CAN shield ($30), a modified key fob and ECU from a salvage vehicle ($100 on eBay) and a LiPo battery ($30).

The Belgian researchers first informed Tesla of the identified issues on the 17th of August 2020. Tesla confirmed the vulnerabilities, awarded their findings with a bug bounty and started working on security updates. As part of the 2020.48 over-the-air software update, that is now being rolled out, a firmware update will be pushed to the key fob.

Week 48 is this week so expect to see limited rollout

Release notes here 2020.48.5 Official Tesla Release Notes - Tesla Software Updates (notateslaapp.com)

Basically
Text mode improvements - group by sender, steering button override
Trax v0.2
Sentry mode improvements - looks like last event can now be saved internally
Unlatch a charge cable from button inside charge port - Model S and X only - recent only?

Some nice looking visualisations for China. An indication of what v11 may bring?

Last edited:
I'm assuming this is a pre-cursor to being able to stream live sentry events to the phone app. I think streaming from an external drive would be a step too far.

My take is that it prevents anyone from nicking the drive with their ugly mug on it. Only latest 2021 cars have any form of security for the media drives so it will benefit the cars that can have sentry but not stored in a secure place.

I don't understand why they can't implement simple logic here? If the car is unlocked and it has stopped charging, unlock the charge port. If the charge needs to resume or the car locks, then lock the charge port. Other cars do this but maybe I'm not thinking of a scenario where this doesn't work well?

Reactions: Sixer
I don't understand why they can't implement simple logic here? If the car is unlocked and it has stopped charging, unlock the charge port. If the charge needs to resume or the car locks, then lock the charge port. Other cars do this but maybe I'm not thinking of a scenario where this doesn't work well?
I noted that this occurring back in August in the 2020.32 thread for v2020.28 but looks like it’s been removed since. (Maybe was a bug- that was actually useful).

If the power source is stopped and “charging stopped” is showing on screen, the car unlocks the type two after about 10 seconds of car door being open. Just confirmed on 2020.28.(but I’ve only got 2020.28, so must have been there on 2020.24 as it’s occurred a few times)