Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.36.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They do, on their web site, which presents a glossy idealised image of a Model 3 that doesn't appear to match the reality of ownership, if many posts on this forum are to be believed.

I collect my car on the 4th Dec, so I've no direct experience. However, reading this and other sources, I am getting anxious. Probably it'll be fine!
There are at least 40,000 Tesla Model 3s in the UK. The number of people with issues are a tiny fraction of that. Very few people go onto forums to post that their navigation works a treat or they have decent panel gaps. Mostly people raise issues in the hope that someone can help fix it. That skews the perception of the car. If you go to a forum for any product, you'd never buy anything again :)

There are at least 40,000 Tesla Model 3s in the UK. The number of people with issues are a tiny fraction of that. Very few people go onto forums to post that their navigation works a treat or they have decent panel gaps. Mostly people raise issues in the hope that someone can help fix it. That skews the perception of the car. If you go to a forum for any product, you'd never buy anything again :)

Have you surveyed all owners to confirm your assertion?

2021.36.x seems to have introduced some particularly aggressive, potentially even dangerous, braking when on TACC in a slow moving queue.

I first had something similar a few months back, when the car slammed on the brakes when I was close to the car in front and I touched accelerator to close the gap between me and the car in front. This was accompanied by mechanical thudding of the braking system. I though it was a one off caused by me trying to nudge forward.

But yesterday I had similar, again in a slow stop/start queue. I cannot remember if I was nudging forward again, but the braking was again very violent full on stomp to bring car to dead stop, even if the car was only travelling walking pace or so.

Roll on this evening, joining tail end of a slow moving stop/start queue. Again it happened. I cant again recall if I was allowing car to creep forward again - I typically use follow distance 7 so the gap in front can get a little wider than is ideal in these conditions. The suddenness of the brake raised a comment from the passenger. I let the car move on its own, several times in quick succession, so no creeping forward. Again, full on stomp of the brakes, albeit still more than a safe distance from the car in front. It felt like an emergency brake, with brake mechanics again making the pumping and thudding. This time the car did it all on its own accord. No manual intervention. If I was driving manually, I would have allowed the car to roll to a halt on low regen - no need for any brakes.

On this latter episode, I had a close call with the car behind - I wouldn't be surprised if the car behind though I was brake testing them to make a point about them creeping so close behind. They changed lane after the first set, so I had a big gap when I let the car run solely on TACC - which was thankful due to the severity of the braking.

Having the car do this on its own accord is a new experience. Its one of the very useful features of TACC allowing it to creep in a traffic jam. But now with the 'emergency' braking, its lost that appeal.

Anyone else having this sudden full on braking in stop/start traffic?
I've had that sudden stop and juddering noise in traffic before. It'll wait u til late to stop then do that.

Haven't experienced it recently though.