Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.36.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However, cars and lorries did jump around in the lanes when I was changing lanes, so I had to manage that and not return to lane 2 if there was a lorry in lane 1. TBH, I’m not seeing much difference in AP/NoA compared to how it was when I got the car in March. Has it actually changed?

I've actually noticed a big improvement in this, to the point that at one stage I was beginning to think it had almost been sorted. But I have subsequently seen the jumping around again, but possibly not as harsh, to the point that pulling into left lane with a truck in the adjacent lane didn't cause any issue, not that I would want to do it as a matter of routine.

With regards routing, I think it's a Google Maps issue. I often notice it saying my certain usual routes have orange or red traffic, but if I don't trust it and go that way any way, its usually nowhere near as busy as it thinks. The problem is it seems to use historical data to predict when it's going to be busy so isn't always accurate.

Did I read somewhere that there is a setting in the nav, that dictates what delay time in minutes in traffic, causes the system to “re-route”?

Maybe if that is set at something really low, like 1-2 minutes, that this might be why the nav keeps trying to send you on strange routes?

Maybe after a software update, this has changed itself? Wouldn’t be the first time that settings reset or change from what they were prior to the update, from what I’ve seen on here.

Reactions: M3noob
Our reroute is 10 minutes but I think that is the time scale that the car uses to determine whether to change the route (reroute) after the drive has started.

So either it’s determining the different route from the offset (or after it’s route was first ignored - not knowingly the case until it selects a different route to normal) or the reroute time is ignored.

Had a big own goal yesterday. Slightly different route where I wanted to get on motorway at first opportunity. It normally gets busy heading to the junction so I ignored it’s first choice which was to head to junction from different direction, an equally busy route. With me continuing with my original route it added nothing to ETA. It then wanted me to turn off up a back road full of speed humps. I ignored and I think it added a minute. Ignored next road which would have been horrible in dark as it skipped a whole junction of motorway. ETA was similar. Ignored next suggestion which was not quite a bad choice but still skipped a whole section of motorway. Added a couple of minutes as I went my original route. Joined expected queue with junction in view. Happy to queue as I had no time pressures and had planned for the queue that always happens that time of night. Whilst sitting in queue ETA went out a further 10 minutes so total ETA increase of 15 mins. Eventually got to destination 10 minutes later than initial ETA.

tl;dr I just want to make a choice from a selection of routes and have better input into my routing preferences

Last edited:
Reading all this stuff about the navigation, I'm frankly amazed that Tesla can't get it right. It's not as if satellite navigation is a new technology and there are countless examples of how it is done (which set driver expectations, I might add; for example most sat navs let you set routing preferences so you can decide how it takes you to the destination - I take it that Tesla choose for you?). I could say the same thing about the wipers or lights... What is wrong with their engineers? They seem to have this ego trip going on whereby they ignore established, solid solutions in favour of their own half baked reinvented wheels. It's hubris of the worst kind and I reckon it'll get someone killed.

Put another way: One doesn't expect to pay over £50k for a car and end up as a beta tester. And before someone pipes up with "Well why did you buy it then?" let me say that nothing in Tesla's advertising warns you about these ongoing issues.

Reactions: candida
Tesla don't advertise! You need to use google and YouTube...

They do, on their web site, which presents a glossy idealised image of a Model 3 that doesn't appear to match the reality of ownership, if many posts on this forum are to be believed.

I collect my car on the 4th Dec, so I've no direct experience. However, reading this and other sources, I am getting anxious. Probably it'll be fine!

Reactions: goRt
Reading all this stuff about the navigation, I'm frankly amazed that Tesla can't get it right. It's not as if satellite navigation is a new technology and there are countless examples of how it is done (which set driver expectations, I might add; for example most sat navs let you set routing preferences so you can decide how it takes you to the destination - I take it that Tesla choose for you?). I could say the same thing about the wipers or lights... What is wrong with their engineers? They seem to have this ego trip going on whereby they ignore established, solid solutions in favour of their own half baked reinvented wheels. It's hubris of the worst kind and I reckon it'll get someone killed.

Put another way: One doesn't expect to pay over £50k for a car and end up as a beta tester. And before someone pipes up with "Well why did you buy it then?" let me say that nothing in Tesla's advertising warns you about these ongoing issues.

On seven trips to Spain my outstanding nav complaint is a dogged insistence to route us via Paris/environs. Life experience trumps the AI. Never go anywhere via Paris (except maybe Paris - even then I opt for the free carpark at Frethun and take the train)

Reactions: Simonix
I collect my car on the 4th Dec, so I've no direct experience. However, reading this and other sources, I am getting anxious. Probably it'll be fine!

Nearly two years with my SR+ and it still looks and drives like new. Fit and finish great, no rattles or even moisture in the rear lights after 18,000 miles. Freemont build as well.
Am I feelin' lucky? Yes I very much am.

Don't read too much in to the posts here as there are many like myself who just drive it and enjoy. Lucky you as your car will have far more bells and whistles than the older ones. ;)

100 mile round trip Salisbury-Sherborne-Salisbury including a night drive yesterday and today.
The car behaved flawlessly, navigation as usual, Auto pilot also. The headlights are better than the Mercedes LED units in the C43 Coupe. Averaged 271wk/mile, despite starting out this morning when it was 1 degree C so 15 minutes spent pre-warming the car.

2021.36.x seems to have introduced some particularly aggressive, potentially even dangerous, braking when on TACC in a slow moving queue.

I first had something similar a few months back, when the car slammed on the brakes when I was close to the car in front and I touched accelerator to close the gap between me and the car in front. This was accompanied by mechanical thudding of the braking system. I though it was a one off caused by me trying to nudge forward.

But yesterday I had similar, again in a slow stop/start queue. I cannot remember if I was nudging forward again, but the braking was again very violent full on stomp to bring car to dead stop, even if the car was only travelling walking pace or so.

Roll on this evening, joining tail end of a slow moving stop/start queue. Again it happened. I cant again recall if I was allowing car to creep forward again - I typically use follow distance 7 so the gap in front can get a little wider than is ideal in these conditions. The suddenness of the brake raised a comment from the passenger. I let the car move on its own, several times in quick succession, so no creeping forward. Again, full on stomp of the brakes, albeit still more than a safe distance from the car in front. It felt like an emergency brake, with brake mechanics again making the pumping and thudding. This time the car did it all on its own accord. No manual intervention. If I was driving manually, I would have allowed the car to roll to a halt on low regen - no need for any brakes.

On this latter episode, I had a close call with the car behind - I wouldn't be surprised if the car behind though I was brake testing them to make a point about them creeping so close behind. They changed lane after the first set, so I had a big gap when I let the car run solely on TACC - which was thankful due to the severity of the braking.

Having the car do this on its own accord is a new experience. Its one of the very useful features of TACC allowing it to creep in a traffic jam. But now with the 'emergency' braking, its lost that appeal.

Anyone else having this sudden full on braking in stop/start traffic?

2021.36.x seems to have introduced some particularly aggressive, potentially even dangerous, braking when on TACC in a slow moving queue.

I first had something similar a few months back, when the car slammed on the brakes when I was close to the car in front and I touched accelerator to close the gap between me and the car in front. This was accompanied by mechanical thudding of the braking system. I though it was a one off caused by me trying to nudge forward.

But yesterday I had similar, again in a slow stop/start queue. I cannot remember if I was nudging forward again, but the braking was again very violent full on stomp to bring car to dead stop, even if the car was only travelling walking pace or so.

Roll on this evening, joining tail end of a slow moving stop/start queue. Again it happened. I cant again recall if I was allowing car to creep forward again - I typically use follow distance 7 so the gap in front can get a little wider than is ideal in these conditions. The suddenness of the brake raised a comment from the passenger. I let the car move on its own, several times in quick succession, so no creeping forward. Again, full on stomp of the brakes, albeit still more than a safe distance from the car in front. It felt like an emergency brake, with brake mechanics again making the pumping and thudding. This time the car did it all on its own accord. No manual intervention. If I was driving manually, I would have allowed the car to roll to a halt on low regen - no need for any brakes.

On this latter episode, I had a close call with the car behind - I wouldn't be surprised if the car behind though I was brake testing them to make a point about them creeping so close behind. They changed lane after the first set, so I had a big gap when I let the car run solely on TACC - which was thankful due to the severity of the braking.

Having the car do this on its own accord is a new experience. Its one of the very useful features of TACC allowing it to creep in a traffic jam. But now with the 'emergency' braking, its lost that appeal.

Anyone else having this sudden full on braking in stop/start traffic?
I have experienced that once but to be fair I haven’t spent much time in traffic on 36. What I have had is the stop for traffic lights too far back, tried to move closer to the line and the brakes come on with dreadful mechanical clank.

I have experienced that once but to be fair I haven’t spent much time in traffic on 36. What I have had is the stop for traffic lights too far back, tried to move closer to the line and the brakes come on with dreadful mechanical clank.

2021.36.5.8 definitely makes large vehicles jump around more. See my previous post but on the way back from Brighton to Edinburgh I had multiple warnings of a collision when passing a perfectly in lane truck to the left. Today waiting at the lights the truck next to me was jumping all over the screen even though both vehicles were stationery - I am pretty sure it was never on top of my car!

truck.jpg

…and I’ve just remembered. Whilst sat at a set of lights near my home, so I’m rhere quite often. For the first time, in addition to the traffic lights, a non-existent stop sign appeared on screen. there was no kind of sign there but it may have picked up the ornate upright of the level crossing gate albeit it is white.

This was accompanied by mechanical thudding of the braking system.
The autopilot applies the brake using the brake pedal, but via a spring-loaded rotary actuator.

If you touch the accelerator it inhibits this system and the brake is immediately released (with the spring returning the system to the normal position).

The issue here is when the accelerator pedal is feathered. You'll get the car releasing and then applying the brake rapidly in short succession, which probably accounts for the thudding sound you experienced and the aggressive braking that followed.

It's a very powerful system and can apply full brake pressure almost instantly. I find the car quite jerky in stop/start traffic regardless of the follow distance setting.

The issue here is when the accelerator pedal is feathered. You'll get the car releasing and then applying the brake rapidly in short succession, which probably accounts for the thudding sound you experienced and the aggressive braking that followed.

What seems to have changed recently is that the car is now doing this on its own accord - purely on its own TACC driving without any human intervention such as feathering. Plus it is occurring several car lengths from the car ahead when at walking speed - so slow enough to just roll to a halt on its own in that space.

It always use to be possible to allow TACC to smoothly handle a stop / start queue on its own. Now it brakes hard as it approaches the car in front.

Also having hard braking issue when creeping once in over 2 years and now twice on consecutive days would seem to show behaviour has changed.