Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.36.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a video of live camera view in action:

That’s pretty cool.

But do you all think we’ll get this camera view in Europe where GDPR or UKDPR rules apply.

I think Tesla was already on shaky grounds with Sentry mode in terms of data protection.

You would effectively be able to conduct remote surveillance with your Tesla. Even ‘Ring’ doorbell cameras are now going to be restricted due to a recent court case.

It would be good though if we could get that feature, but that seems like a US only feature where there are far fewer rules about that sort of thing.

2021.36.5.5 downloading now btw.

Ring cameras have had privacy features for a couple of years now. It’s up to the homeowner to turn them on. I don’t see many CCTV signs next to them though!

I’m not passing judgement on legality but is it really any different to someone filming in the street on their iPhone using periscope? There’s a line somewhere.

Reactions: davidmc and Llama.
Even ‘Ring’ doorbell cameras are now going to be restricted due to a recent court case.

Is this the case where a chap had something like 4 doorbells/cameras set up which viewed his neighbours house, garden and parking area? I know they’ve added the ability to turn off audio recording since then, but what further restrictions are you referring to?

Updated to .36.5.5 yesterday. First opportunity to use schedule charge from phone last night. It worked, but started charge at 16a not 32a. I had to manually increase the amps via the App. Hopefully it will now stay at 32a, as the in-car setting does. It was charging overnight at 16a for 3hrs before I woke this morning, checked the app and then increased the amps :( .

That’s pretty cool.

But do you all think we’ll get this camera view in Europe where GDPR or UKDPR rules apply.

I think Tesla was already on shaky grounds with Sentry mode in terms of data protection.

You would effectively be able to conduct remote surveillance with your Tesla. Even ‘Ring’ doorbell cameras are now going to be restricted due to a recent court case.

It would be good though if we could get that feature, but that seems like a US only feature where there are far fewer rules about that sort of thing.

2021.36.5.5 downloading now btw.
BMW's in the UK have had this feature for 3 years now

• Informative
Reactions: speedyranger74
Schedule charge is there (4.2.1) but still doesn’t display correctly in the App in 4.2.2.
2021.36.5.5 this morning - updated via the app and the schedule option is there. Car is plugged in but I haven't gone near it today.
Charge current appeared maxed at 16A - so I disabled the charger schedule so it could charge again and the current limit jumped up to 30A by itself.

Schedule options are just the same as what you can set in the car, no improvements. One day we might be able to set both a start and stop time for cheap rate charging which only applies to my home charger or location.

I’m struggling to use scheduled charging via the app.

If I open the app it says "Schedule - Car will charge at 00:00". If I go in and change the "Start charging at" time, it lets me choose a time but after a second or so it resets to 00:00. I have checked the car and the scheduled charging says it is 02:30 in there (which is what it has always been).

I even changed the time in the car to 02:00 as a test, but it doesn't update the app. Have tried opening and closing the app several times.

Any thoughts where I'm going wrong here?

Reactions: NewbieT

If I open the app it says "Schedule - Car will charge at 00:00". If I go in and change the "Start charging at" time, it lets me choose a time but after a second or so it resets to 00:00. I have checked the car and the scheduled charging says it is 02:30 in there (which is what it has always been).

I even changed the time in the car to 02:00 as a test, but it doesn't update the app. Have tried opening and closing the app several times.

Mine is the same, whatever time I set it to after a few seconds it reverts back.

BMW remote 360 view just takes a still photo, and you can only take a certain number of photos over a given time, I believe due to privacy rules.
Good point. It is static and stitches them together to give a 360 point-in-time view.

I never noticed any restriction on the number of images it could capture i.e. I could initiate the remote capture multiple times in succession via the app.

It would be disappointing if this feature doesn't make it to UK Tesla's.

I reported this a while back. Thankfully it seems just cosmetic in the app. The car will still show (say 00:30) even if the app is showing 00:00.

You can double check in the car. That will mirror (with slight latency) the app controls but when app then jumps to 00:00 the car will remain at 00:30. As expected, when charging, the car will honour the 00:30 in car setting.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
The problem is the app just shows 00:00 for me. It doesn't matter what I change it to, it reverts back to 00:00.

If, as you say, it does actually change the time in the car to whatever time I set in the app (for the ~1 second it stays like that), how am I supposed to know if the car has acknowledged the new time, and what the actual scheduled charge time in the car now is? :(

I don't really get the whole GDPR thing with this. The car already records people that get too close to it via regular Sentry recording. Internally it is always recording while Sentry is active on a rolling video anyway (otherwise it wouldn't be able to show you before and after an incident).

The only practical difference in my eyes is that this gives you access to the recording the car is already taking anyway?

Live streaming will get launched in the UK, the recent Ring court case didn't set any precedent at all.

How often do the police put out a plea for dashcam or CCTV footage, I am not getting into the rights or wrongs but it's become quite normalised. Since GDPR, the number of cameras live streaming gas gone up - it didn't make any practical difference.