Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.4.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rumour that 4.17 bought in a new version of the browser. I don't know if the following is of interest to anyone?

Device: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; GNU/Linux) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chromium/88.0.4324.150 Chrome/88.0.4324.150 Safari/537.36 Tesla/2021.4.18-b9447274f1b4

Rumour that 4.17 bought in a new version of the browser. I don't know if the following is of interest to anyone?

Device: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; GNU/Linux) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chromium/88.0.4324.150 Chrome/88.0.4324.150 Safari/537.36 Tesla/2021.4.18-b9447274f1b4

There was an important security update in that version, which was being exploited in the wild (not specific to Tesla).

Getting a ‘usb device malfunction - remove device from centre console’ - but nothing is plugged in. Do the wireless chargers connect to a USB port somewhere under there? The only device I have is an SSD in the glove box for the dash cam
I suspect its referring to your SSD and the message does not differentiate between the original USB in centre console and newer locations in glovebox.

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
4.18 installed. I did 140 miles today, with a lot of autopilot. I noticed that engaging AP when not completely centered in the lane is smoother and speed control is quite a bit more prompt - resumes the set speed when a vehicle moves out of the way more quickly - higher acceleration and less delay after the obstacle moves over.

Also two new sites where spurious braking occurred - once braking hard on the A3 for a set of lights on a road crossing in an underpass (!!), a couple of incorrect speed limits were picked up from a parallel A road with no visible signage. This is with 2021 maps, so still a few problems there too.

I've also noticed a new glitch since 4.10 - short, light braking at every intermediate green arrow in the A3 Hindhead tunnel while it decides whether its a traffic light or not.

A couple of hard braking events passing HGVs with plenty of clearance too.

Overall not getting much better - some improvements but new bugs and regressions.

• Informative
Reactions: Louis0w
4.18 installed. I did 140 miles today, with a lot of autopilot. I noticed that engaging AP when not completely centered in the lane is smoother and speed control is quite a bit more prompt - resumes the set speed when a vehicle moves out of the way more quickly - higher acceleration and less delay after the obstacle moves over.

Also two new sites where spurious braking occurred - once braking hard on the A3 for a set of lights on a road crossing in an underpass (!!), a couple of incorrect speed limits were picked up from a parallel A road with no visible signage. This is with 2021 maps, so still a few problems there too.

I've also noticed a new glitch since 4.10 - short, light braking at every intermediate green arrow in the A3 Hindhead tunnel while it decides whether its a traffic light or not.

A couple of hard braking events passing HGVs with plenty of clearance too.

Overall not getting much better - some improvements but new bugs and regressions.
The amount of incorrect braking in one journey sounds ridiculous and dangerous. I’ve never seen anyone post so many problems in one journey. Personally I would have disengaged autopilot after the second braking problem, not worth getting killed over.

Do you have FSD with stop sign/light control? I turned mine off a while ago and yesterday on M3 I went under a variable speed sign gantry and a traffic light was visualised. I can't remember if the gantry was active in any way, we certainly were not under a variable speed limit at any point.

Was the short light braking actually braking, or the car just lifting off slightly? The constant thrust of the car is such that a slight lifting feels like a brake even though its speed has only dropped by 1mph.

I had a number of near perfect drives on AP/NoA yesterday (first time on 4.18 after moving from 4.15.12), including a continuous run of around 25 miles M25/M3 including the interchange in fairly difficult traffic conditions (like cars bunching because of vehicles overtaking at 1mph differential) and lots of auto lane changes. The only blotches on its report was a short period where it ignored my requests to auto lane change, that started when a 'shadowing car' blocked a lane change. It indicated a couple of times then stopped - no message, no reason, clear lane. It self cleared after it suggested a lane change. I've seen this before on several occasions across many versions.

One other blotch, the car undertook another vehicle when imho it should not have - I double checked my speed and it was 57mph. It may have been nav (I'm on latest) related as the lane that I was in was just about to become the exit lane (which is why I let it continue) but road markings were not yet fully indicating that even though cars were behaving as if it was the exit lane.

I was expecting an AP regression from 4.15.12, but it was if anything better than my best AP/NoA drive on 4.15.x which in itself was a big step forward. I did have auto wipers continuing far to long after the briefest of lightest showers whilst on motorway. But thats preferable than no wipers in road spray conditions.

Another observation, not version related, was that I had an auto lane change to the left blocked due to a shadowing car. I thought that there was plenty of room and I'm pretty sure that the car was more cautious of cars when undertaking a left change than a right lane change. I do not think the car was showing the red lane markings otherwise I would have realised that the car thought I had something in my blind spot.

Reactions: goRt
The amount of incorrect braking in one journey sounds ridiculous and dangerous. I’ve never seen anyone post so many problems in one journey. Personally I would have disengaged autopilot after the second braking problem, not worth getting killed over.
Yes, it's disappointing to say the least. I use AP extensively but monitor it very closely so there is a limited safety risk. It does reduce fatigue on my commute, so I persist..

I can now anticipate where there are mapping / speed limit issues so i go to manual or override with the throttle. I think the issues are mainly with the 2021 mapping - why isn't there a 'bug report' button? It would allow crowd-sourced data to improve/fix the speed limit problems quite quickly, which just shouldn't exist on major arterial roads at all, IMO, as these are frequently travelled and there is a lot of data being collected by vehicles. So much for fleet data collection and processing.

The HGV phantom breaking issue may be related to different focal lengths of the pillar and front cameras and current AP limitations in the way that proximity is estimated. It consistently seems to be a problem when along side an HGV and either processing of camera images to estimate distance and a lack of lateral ultrasonic data fusion to measure distance to a large vehicle in an adjacent lane. Its just a hypothesis, based on how how the visualisation leaps around as objects move from the front camera field of view to the pillar and wing cameras.

Cheers,
Alex

Do you have FSD with stop sign/light control? I turned mine off a while ago and yesterday on M3 I went under a variable speed sign gantry and a traffic light was visualised. I can't remember if the gantry was active in any way, we certainly were not under a variable speed limit at any point.

Was the short light braking actually braking, or the car just lifting off slightly? The constant thrust of the car is such that a slight lifting feels like a brake even though its speed has only dropped by 1mph.

I had a number of near perfect drives on AP/NoA yesterday (first time on 4.18 after moving from 4.15.12), including a continuous run of around 25 miles M25/M3 including the interchange in fairly difficult traffic conditions (like cars bunching because of vehicles overtaking at 1mph differential) and lots of auto lane changes. The only blotches on its report was a short period where it ignored my requests to auto lane change, that started when a 'shadowing car' blocked a lane change. It indicated a couple of times then stopped - no message, no reason, clear lane. It self cleared after it suggested a lane change. I've seen this before on several occasions across many versions.

One other blotch, the car undertook another vehicle when imho it should not have - I double checked my speed and it was 57mph. It may have been nav (I'm on latest) related as the lane that I was in was just about to become the exit lane (which is why I let it continue) but road markings were not yet fully indicating that even though cars were behaving as if it was the exit lane.

I was expecting an AP regression from 4.15.12, but it was if anything better than my best AP/NoA drive on 4.15.x which in itself was a big step forward. I did have auto wipers continuing far to long after the briefest of lightest showers whilst on motorway. But thats preferable than no wipers in road spray conditions.

Another observation, not version related, was that I had an auto lane change to the left blocked due to a shadowing car. I thought that there was plenty of room and I'm pretty sure that the car was more cautious of cars when undertaking a left change than a right lane change. I do not think the car was showing the red lane markings otherwise I would have realised that the car thought I had something in my blind spot.
Yes, am using AP. Good point - I'll turn off traffic light awareness and see if it still happens. It happens when passing under the lane closure signs on the roof of the tunnel showing a green arrow or a cross. It is visualised as a round green traffic signal above the car, but is clearly an green arrow or red cross. There is a transitory message flashes up for a fraction of a second as you approach the lane control sign, which i cant read, but think it is the stopping for traffic control in xx feet message. The car is probably just going into regen braking for a fraction of a second as it looses only 2-4 mph rather than a proper 'phantom braking' slam-on.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
As far as I can tell the version of AP we have in the UK hasn't changed since late 2019. Yes there have been some feature additions like Traffic Light Controls but the basic driving still feels about the same.
This isn't surprising, the developers moved on to the FSD Beta at about that point. I assume that 'pure vision' will mean they need to change the highway capability in the US so will revisit this area of the code, so it's perhaps worth tracking at which point Tesla announce that European Tesla's won't get the radar fitted, so far it's only announced for the US.
Also it would seem likely that Tesla will need to invest some development resource to support the limited Level 3 autonomy that will be available in the UK later this year.

As far as I can tell the version of AP we have in the UK hasn't changed since late 2019. Yes there have been some feature additions like Traffic Light Controls but the basic driving still feels about the same.
This isn't surprising, the developers moved on to the FSD Beta at about that point. I assume that 'pure vision' will mean they need to change the highway capability in the US so will revisit this area of the code, so it's perhaps worth tracking at which point Tesla announce that European Tesla's won't get the radar fitted, so far it's only announced for the US.
Also it would seem likely that Tesla will need to invest some development resource to support the limited Level 3 autonomy that will be available in the UK later this year.

Looks a likely scenario to me. (BTW your sig says you have a Model 3 LR since August 2018 ... but they only arrived in UK in summer 2019 ... do you have one in the US?)

I have a number of test routes that I use when trying to test the majority of releases if I can. The behaviour of AP had definitely changed for the better recently even though no mention of any specific improvements. I did a test of a particular offramp yesterday (M3 J5 below) that I hadn't done in a while that in the past was like being in a game of billiards with the car bouncing left and right up the offramp and on one occasion taking me over the right white line. Although it had improved somewhat when I previously tested it, yesterday was a complete non event - 95% there.

The on ramp the other side wasn't much changed though, with a game of chicken being played with the apex. I'm almost certain that the car will much prefer to drive you off the road without slowing than automatically perform the merge. Definitely a case of needing to indicate at some point, which is probably what the lane change suggestion that you often get after joining a motorway probably is.

I've also noticed that many transitions seem to be much smoother since 4.15 and to my surprise, with all the talk of the new NN in 4.15.x, didn't regress in 4.18. AP behaviour almost certainly changes, often dramatically between releases, even though focus seems to be on FSD and now TeslaVision.

I had a 200 mile drive to Newcastle area on Tuesday. TACC was enabled for the motorway and I experienced a couple of decelerations (not phantom braking as such).
One as I was passing a lorry but another was when the car in the next LH lane to me moved to the inside lane and I followed the car to the lane it just left.
A rapid deceleration resulted for no apparent reason and for the journey back I drove the old fashioned way.

As Musk is dropping the radar, I can only assume that it is causing these issues but surely radar will be required for city streets when the emergency braking uses it.