Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.4.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking exactly the same, don't think I've ever been so many versions behind. Saying that with some of the issues that may not be such a bad thing o_O

Reading these threads I'm more than happy to also be part of the 30%+ who are still on 2020.48.35.5 ... We appear to be in the advantageous position of missing out on a series of false starts! (My software setting remains on "Advanced").

Reactions: Yachtsman
My last Mercedes was driving around with the same software for 2 years. The sat nav had no knowledge of a huge new bypass road. They eventually updated it after I bugged them about it. The update took the best part of a full day in their workshop (I imagine that they must have been using a stack of 5.25" floppy drives!). Needless to say in the 4 years that I had it that was the only software upgrade that it received despite there being other niggling little things that should have been dead easy to sort with a software upgrade.

I'll stick with Tesla's, slightly flawed, approach.

Updating my last BMW was similar, involved downloading a massive file, sticking it on a USB stick, then getting frustrated when the car failed to properly install the updated software a few times. I think that, on average, it always too about three goes to get the software to install properly. Used to take a very long time, too, often around an hour or so.

I had to jump through hoops if I recall updating the software on my i3 too. Same sort of deal, logging on to a website (which ended up being a pain on its own) downloading the BMW ConnectedDrive app, creating a USB stick, etc. Basically a big faff.

Tesla really are streets ahead in that aspect.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry this is new terrority for me and I fully expect things like this to be the case. I maybe overreacted earlier. I have calmed down and looking forward to the car. :)

I don't think you overreacted - I love my M3, but it does have some annoying quirks that really should not be there.

There's a bit of Friday afternoon at Citroen in the 70's about it- some really good ideas but maybe not quite executed as well as they should.
My last Mercedes was driving around with the same software for 2 years. The sat nav had no knowledge of a huge new bypass road. They eventually updated it after I bugged them about it. The update took the best part of a full day in their workshop (I imagine that they must have been using a stack of 5.25" floppy drives!). Needless to say in the 4 years that I had it that was the only software upgrade that it received despite there being other niggling little things that should have been dead easy to sort with a software upgrade.

I have an Audi A4 - and the sat nav is that out of date is still lists Cumberland as a destination.

Update - £400.

That's just pulling your pants down.

I don't think you overreacted - I love my M3, but it does have some annoying quirks that really should not be there.

There's a bit of Friday afternoon at Citroen in the 70's about it- some really good ideas but maybe not quite executed as well as they should.

I have an Audi A4 - and the sat nav is that out of date is still lists Cumberland as a destination.

Update - £400.

That's just pulling your pants down.

I had the same issue with our BMW! Old maps and they wanted to charge a small fortune for an update.
Worse was when they wanted to charge 90 quid just to look at a software issue with the radio information not being being displayed on the screen, not to fix...just to have a look.total rip off

The software updates, bugs and all, and the service I have received so far from Tesla are miles better. I know other people had bad experiences, so YMMV as always.

Well I've just had 2021.4.11 update notification. Do I install or should I wait? How many issues are still in this version?
I had 4.11 several days ago. Cures driver profile saves. Haven’t found anything broken. Several have reported headlight height altered but easily cured. I haven’t had that problem. Seems safe enough

My last Porsche had map updates every 2 years (if you were lucky), and when you did get them they were already out of date - even if you got them "on launch". On top of that, Porsche wanted ~£300 (might be more now) to actually apply it for you. And yes, like you, it had to go in to the workshop to actually have it done.

So yeah, I'm definitely Team Tesla on that side of things. No excuse nowadays with cars having SIMs and wireless etc.

Just finished update to 2021.4.11. This is the first one since 2020.48.35.5 on 22nd January. It seems that I skipped the troublesome versions. No idea how or why.

That's how it happens ... not all cars get very version. No sweat you (and me) just went direct to the current "stable" version. We clearly didn't miss out ... be thankful... it's a good thing!

Some people were reporting elsewhere that Sat nav destinations not being sent to the car from iPads etc. Tried mine this morning on 4.11. Working fine.
Any idea if sharing a dropped pin still takes you to the nearest registered address? I've not noticed any issues sharing locations from phone to car however if you're trying to get to somewhere specific it'll often take you to a random location, often not particularly close to where the pin was set.