Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.4.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021.4.12 seems to put my car into a much deeper sleep overnight than any previous updates because it no longer instantly unlocks when I touch the handle. I now use the Tesla ring first time each day which is no hassle unless trying to open a passenger side door. The car locks on walk-away as normal.

Any other time after the initial unlock, the phone unlocks the car just as it had always done, even if several hours later.
Have noticed this as well. Few times it hasn't unlocked smoothly via Bluetooth for me after the update

Reactions: bhav
Just a question , after an update do you do a power down reboot? I have made this my habit and I seem to get none of the after update issue people suffer from. My headlight don’t jump up, car unlocks with my phone, car wakes with the app and so on. I may be very lucky and the hardware/firmware combination in my car is very compatible or it’s the reboot. Just a question and thoughts.

Reactions: Yachtsman
Just a question , after an update do you do a power down reboot? I have made this my habit and I seem to get none of the after update issue people suffer from. My headlight don’t jump up, car unlocks with my phone, car wakes with the app and so on. I may be very lucky and the hardware/firmware combination in my car is very compatible or it’s the reboot. Just a question and thoughts.
I never do a reboot. I thought that was always just a part of the install process?

I've only had to do it once after a software update didn't seem to "take"

Since I got 2021.4.12 I have had nothing but problems, has others had problems with this software update?

Radio not working.
Cannot unlock car, though this has been ongoing for a while now, have to turn off blue tooth and back on and works instantly, but need to do it nearly once every day.
Computer crashed while driving.
I have had to reset computer a couple of times.
Today:-
Sat nav not lock on, it looked like no internet connection, no radio, no phone connection, so another computer reset and it wiped everything all my data, saved favs, everything, so had to set it all up again everything,,,,,,,,, even the car name, so I would say it was like the car was when new.

WARNING:- it also turned off car auto lock when walking away even after I re connected everything, which I would out after I had left the car for a few hours.
I am having the same issues (hIghlighted in blue ) with the car not unlocking. It has been present prior to 2021.4.12.1. I have it booked into the SC next week for them to look at. They recommend keeping a note of the exact times that it happens as they can then examine the logs. If you're still having issues by the end of next week, drop me a DM and I will let you know how I got on at the SC

Reactions: MaDProFF
I always do a scroll button + brake pedal reboot

Reactions: KennethS
I've never bothered and have never had any update issues (touch wood).

I kinda feel like brake pedal reboots after updates are a bit of an anachronism like resetting BIOS defaults after an update on a computer.

Still, if it makes you feel better - no harm done ;)

Reactions: Adopado

I kinda feel like brake pedal reboots after updates are a bit of an anachronism like resetting BIOS defaults after an update on a computer.

Thing is, if something is not working before the reboot and then after it does, then clearly reboot does it job, on numerous times in the 18 months I have had the car a reboot has solved a problem.

When my car had various e-SIM related issues in December, on each occasion Tesla Tech forced a download or update & they asked me to do a 45 sec scroll wheel-brake pedal reset without touching anything until the screen restarted. They said this was recommended after software updates.

Previously I had done a brief button-brake reset until the screen went blank but since then I follow the advice above..

I am having the same issues (hIghlighted in blue ) with the car not unlocking. It has been present prior to 2021.4.12.1. I have it booked into the SC next week for them to look at. They recommend keeping a note of the exact times that it happens as they can then examine the logs. If you're still having issues by the end of next week, drop me a DM and I will let you know how I got on at the SC
are you sure its not the phone? there are various times when iPhone and Android issues/updates have caused problems. Have you tried another phone?
For example Samsung updates last year screwed it up for a load of people. Thanks to posts from others on this forum I was able to change the settings on my S10 to fix it.

are you sure its not the phone? there are various times when iPhone and Android issues/updates have caused problems. Have you tried another phone?
For example Samsung updates last year screwed it up for a load of people. Thanks to posts from others on this forum I was able to change the settings on my S10 to fix it.
What did you change?

Good point, it could well be wither the phone or the car. However I have now had the same issue on 2 different iPhone models covering 3 iOS versions. Now patched to latest iOS (14.4.1). Issue still occurs. The most annoying thing is the randomness of it!

What did you change?
this is the details. its Android maybe even Samsung specific though:

• Informative
Reactions: Neilio and m3p_uk
this is the details. its Android maybe even Samsung specific though:

I think it is Samsung specific. The bluetooth battery saving seems quite aggressive so best to turn it off. OT but mine has the same problem with my bluetooth ODB2 connector. Keeps dropping the bluetooth signal.

Mine is an iPhone 12 pro max, agreed it is the randomness, most times it will not unlock in the morning, but some times it does and then the next time I go to gt in the car it does not, it is like the randomness of warming (preheat) the car up for the app before you go out, sometimes it will connect other times it will not.

Mine is an iPhone 12 pro max, agreed it is the randomness, most times it will not unlock in the morning, but some times it does and then the next time I go to gt in the car it does not, it is like the randomness of warming (preheat) the car up for the app before you go out, sometimes it will connect other times it will not.
connection of my car to the app is not random. Have I ever had a problem? yes, but 99% of the time its fine. and even then closing the app and re-opening ( triggering another wake up request) is generally enough to fix it.
Since the way the mothership wakes up the car is via SMS are you in a very weak signal area maybe so the car is not getting the sms?

Reactions: drewpost
I am sure there are many reasons this problem though is not just related to one place, but I do suspect it is related to signal form some things, but not standing next to the car, also my car should be connected to Wi Fi, when it is parked in the garage.

I must say that having a Tesla ring since last September has proved its worth on so many occasions, especially at the moment where the car often refuses to unlock via the door handle after a long overnight sleep. There's no need to carry a key card & using correct knuckle shape it has worked every time including near the cupholders if I don't have a phone with me.

As soon as the car awakens, the phone is connected so I don't need the ring to enable drive, nor do I need to use the ring again during that day. Strange & only since 2021.4.12 even after a proper reboot. iPhone 11 & iOS 14.4.1