Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.4.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does the comment "...All 3/Y can be upgraded to have FSD computer" mean?

I didn't know there were any 3/y's without the hardware for FSD? Just Musk's sloppy tweeting?
As far as I'm aware, there are 3s in the US (and elsewhere, but not the UK) that predate the introduction of the current FSD computer (HW3), but I don't think there are any Ys (anywhere) that don't have HW3. So I hope he means "mind of car"/latest software needs HW3 and reference to Y upgrades is a mistake.

Me too - 18.11 this morning with no FSD.
I also got 2021.4.18.11 today
I looked at the release notes:-
It said….
Minor Fixes (in bold black txt on white background ) … very clear
Miscellaneous improvements (in light grey txt on white background ) not very clear
I question should there have been a third line saying various fixes to major F**k ups (or was this in white txt on white background and I couldn’t read it?)🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Dilly
I am still on 4.18.2 and just got back from our first major road trip with our M3LR post lock-down. Overall performance was excellent - supercharger network makes long journeys a breeze and each hotel we stayed in had free chargers available. On this software version autowipers worked extremely well for me (though I never tested them at night or when very dark), autopilot and lane changes on motorways with AP worked really well also.

But - main issue I had was another extreme case of 'inappropriate braking' when on the AI. I deliberately would not call this 'phantom braking' which I think applies best to cases when you can see absolutely no reason for car to think it needs to brake. In this case it seemed to be another example of a persistent bug I have experienced before when there is a car perpendicular to the main road waiting to merge out of a side road, (actually in this case it was coming out of a petrol station), and as we approached to pass by the M3 slammed on as if it expected the waiting car was going to launch out in front of us - it wasn't and it didn't. Maybe this is a fault of bad communication between radar and vision systems? Maybe the depth perception on a slight bend causes the system to think the other car is in our lane, rather than off to the side?

The situation described above only happened once in 2 weeks of touring but it has happened previously and is a problem, both because we could easily have been rear-ended as a result and because it leaves you permanently on edge waiting for it to happen again. Does anyone who recently got the new update to 4.18.11 know if this problem was one of the 'minor fixes' or 'miscellaneous improvements' delivered?

Reactions: JupiterMan
I don't think it's affected by your FSD status .. I already have it on my non FSD SR+
I am still on 4.18.2 and just got back from our first major road trip with our M3LR post lock-down. Overall performance was excellent - supercharger network makes long journeys a breeze and each hotel we stayed in had free chargers available. On this software version autowipers worked extremely well for me (though I never tested them at night or when very dark), autopilot and lane changes on motorways with AP worked really well also.

But - main issue I had was another extreme case of 'inappropriate braking' when on the AI. I deliberately would not call this 'phantom braking' which I think applies best to cases when you can see absolutely no reason for car to think it needs to brake. In this case it seemed to be another example of a persistent bug I have experienced before when there is a car perpendicular to the main road waiting to merge out of a side road, (actually in this case it was coming out of a petrol station), and as we approached to pass by the M3 slammed on as if it expected the waiting car was going to launch out in front of us - it wasn't and it didn't. Maybe this is a fault of bad communication between radar and vision systems? Maybe the depth perception on a slight bend causes the system to think the other car is in our lane, rather than off to the side?

The situation described above only happened once in 2 weeks of touring but it has happened previously and is a problem, both because we could easily have been rear-ended as a result and because it leaves you permanently on edge waiting for it to happen again. Does anyone who recently got the new update to 4.18.11 know if this problem was one of the 'minor fixes' or 'miscellaneous improvements' delivered?
I get the impression the solution is the vision only (non-radar) self driving Tesla is releasing slowly.