Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.40.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not down vote but I do disagree in part. The satnav. Is not great but the infotainment is far and away the best built in system I have seen. Features are good and it's fast, responsive and a big screen.

Maybe AA and car play have some advantages
But
No one is building a screen lkke the M3's one to use them on.

Now AA/CP with the M3 screen and processor that might be something.

I'm using teslAA on my phone for Android auto in the browser and am very happy with it

I had Apple CarPlay on my last car (Ford S-Max Vignale with Sync 3) and I never used it. Chiefly because it takes over the whole UI and you cannot use the superb in-built nav when it's running - you have to use Apple Maps and rely on a cellular network connection.

All I want the Tesla UI to do is allow me to see and select music from my phone on the big screen, and let me access Siri by long pressing the right hand button on the steering wheel (with short click for Tesla voice commands). This works really well in practice. I know it's possible because Ford Sync 3 does it - and that's a system from 5-10 years ago.

Reactions: Cardo and page3
I did not down vote but I do disagree in part. The satnav. Is not great but the infotainment is far and away the best built in system I have seen. Features are good and it's fast, responsive and a big screen.

Maybe AA and car play have some advantages
But
No one is building a screen lkke the M3's one to use them on.

Now AA/CP with the M3 screen and processor that might be something.
Agree, and thanks for not down voting 😀

As built in systems go I’ve not come across one as good as the Tesla. However it’s not perfect and Tesla have no reason to keep improving it while all the reviews say how amazing it is, never mentioning some of the areas where improvements could be made.

There is a lot of functionality within CarPlay that’s simply missing, and that’s a shame. Perhaps they just need to add an App Store!

I disagreed too, but not enough to actually “disagree”.

I don’t really like the trend of Apple and Google intruding on the car UI. I don’t have to have Apple interfaces everywhere I turn, and when I’m driving I’m going somewhere - I don’t need to have a bunch of apps on standby, as my phone is in my pocket anyway. I also like that Tesla doesn’t have to pay for licensing it.

(I have an iPhone, Apple Watch, MacBook Pro and other Apple stuff, so it’s not like I’m not happy with the ecosystem)
Again, thanks 😊

I see your point and partially agree.

Dad to day I do miss some of the functionality I had with CarPlay. I can get around it, but it isn’t as seamless or as enjoyable an experience.

I had Apple CarPlay on my last car (Ford S-Max Vignale with Sync 3) and I never used it. Chiefly because it takes over the whole UI and you cannot use the superb in-built nav when it's running - you have to use Apple Maps and rely on a cellular network connection.

All I want the Tesla UI to do is allow me to see and select music from my phone on the big screen, and let me access Siri by long pressing the right hand button on the steering wheel (with short click for Tesla voice commands). This works really well in practice. I know it's possible because Ford Sync 3 does it - and that's a system from 5-10 years ago.
Tesla does have a lovely screen and decent processing power. I would like to think if they ever supported it they’d design something clever so it didn’t take over everything.

Agree with your Siri point. On my Merc it worked just like your Ford - short press for built it, long for siri. It worked well.

I don't think there's necessarily a right or wrong answer here. As ever at lot depends on your personal use case. I do think sometimes Tesla's wilful belligerence (wipers) is their undoing, other times that same attitude drives their innovation (battery and drivetrain).

I do know for my use case, Tesla is the only viable game in town. I have a regular 250 mile commute that I can achieve without stopping for charging at all and this week I travelled from Notts to Perth and back (660 miles) without a care in the world off one single, simple charge each way. I shudder to think what a massive, practical ballache those journeys would be in a Polestar 2 or similar.

The navigation system is better than I ever gave it credit for. The infotainment layout is a massive missed opportunity based on the screen real estate available. Swings and roundabouts.

I'd love to see Android Auto and Apple Car Play available, and put them in a window (like the Mach-E does) then you keep the people who don't want it happy, and folk like me who see a use case will be happy too :)

Attachments

• IMG_4052.JPG
    IMG_4052.JPG
    286.7 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: page3 and MrT3
You can use many apps but more importantly imho tomtom which is still the staple for satnav and does not rely on cellular connection.

Reactions: MrT3
I just disagree, the UI is fine IMO when compared to other offerings, I don’t need to explain why. Fortunately we are all different & therefore have differing opinions.
I’m not an apple fan & would hate a apple look alike.
That's what would be great about having AA and ACP as options, it's pretty low effort for Tesla as it's essentially just a remote desktop client type setup, and it gives those that want AA or ACP that choice, while everyone who is totally (and understandably) happy with the native UI can just keep using that. Everyone is happy 🙌🏼

Reactions: page3 and MrT3
I just disagree, the UI is fine IMO when compared to other offerings, I don’t need to explain why. Fortunately we are all different & therefore have differing opinions.
I’m not an apple fan & would hate a apple look alike.
Fair enough. Good to hear your thoughts.

There is lots to like about the Tesla interface and I don’t for one moment suggest we should all move to an Apple UI or that it is perfect (far from it). It’s just the choice that CarPlay brings to the table (I know, choice isn’t often used in the same sentence as Apple). Android Auto no doubt has much to offer too, I just don’t have much experience of it.

I was using the CarPlay example to illustrate that there is much missing both in functionality and usability from the Tesla system right now.

I’d happily have Tesla releasing their own App Store.

Fair enough. Good to hear your thoughts.

There is lots to like about the Tesla interface and I don’t for one moment suggest we should all move to an Apple UI or that it is perfect (far from it). It’s just the choice that CarPlay brings to the table (I know, choice isn’t often used in the same sentence as Apple). Android Auto no doubt has much to offer too, I just don’t have much experience of it.

I was using the CarPlay example to illustrate that there is much missing both in functionality and usability from the Tesla system right now.

I’d happily have Tesla releasing their own App Store.

Not sure about that. Imagine running a badly written app that infringed on your privacy and made the UI sluggish?

Reactions: Yachtsman