Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.44.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Release notes for 2021.44.6 on 2019 Model 3 FSD - oddly, all reference to our previous 2021.44.5 release (and phantom 2021.44) have gone. [UK] 2021.44.x

No T on reboot or installation complete notification in the app (nor release notes presented on screen but car had completed a charge since)

Autopark (FSD/EAP only) - about time - its been in the Model 3 build for quite a few releases, but not enabled in UK.

1640074322664.png

These are a hangover from 2021.44.5 but relisted under 2021.44.6

Driver door unlock mode and Driver profile - I don't think release notes are any different
1640074471520.png 1640074492632.png

Last edited:
I can confirm I received an update within 48 hours of taking ownership. It was also only one update out from new. Busts the myth that new cars have “old stable software” and that software upgrades are delayed.
I think it's largely luck of the draw.

Tesla's policy of continuous improvement means that it's commonplace for new cars to ship with a hardware configuration that's slightly different from the existing cars in the field. Probably even more so since the chip shortage began, as Tesla has to constantly redesign things to use different parts.

When they introduce new hardware, they will need to introduce support for the hardware into the software builds. If it helps, think of it as including the right drivers for the hardware, although in reality it will probably be a bit more complicated than that, and will have implications for their software testing process, too. In order to get the cars out of the door quickly, they will probably cut a hardware support branch, which allows them to make a special release for that new batch of cars before the normal software works on them. However, it takes a bit of time for this new hardware support to get included in the normal releases. It may only go into trunk, so you may need to wait until a new release branch is cut - i.e. the week number (second component) of the software version is later than the date of the change. Maybe they sometimes backport the support to a recent release branch, but probably they usually don't. Hence there will be a period of time when the cars are on a special release, specific to that batch. Eventually, the software release processes catch up, and that batch of cars can run the normal software.

All just supposition on my part, but fits the observed facts, I think.

TL;DR I think it largely depends on how soon after a hardware change it is when you take delivery

Can't remember if it's a 40.6 or 44.x improvement but interesting that the infamous "cold weather improvements" now have a bit of detail behind them. More powerful front window defrosting, less energy to precondition the battery and more consistent cabin temperature regulation - a common complaint on here.

All nice improvements.
I've noticed a fairly significant change in my climate control since these updates. I used to have the cabin temp set consistently to 20.5C and now 20C feels like the old 20.5C. I also think the automatic fan speed stays higher than it did before. It's now 3/4 rather than 2/3.

Status
Not open for further replies.