Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2021 Model 3 Q1 collection and delivery experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welcome to the ex-SR+ club...

Thanks! Loved my SR+. Collected in August 2019 in the very early days of Model 3 in the UK. TBH I would have gotten the LR AWD then but it was all I could do to convince my wife that an electric car could be our main family car at the time and getting her to go for the extra £12k it was at the time on top of the SR+ wasn't happening. Oh well - We've had plenty of fun in the SR+ and it has proven to her that a Tesla can be out main family car and now I get a refreshed model to play with until the Y comes out.

(commando no longer included but I nicked mine from my SR before selling)
Haha exactly what I’ve done :) Not that I've ever used it in 19 months, mind you, but it's good to have just in case.

Thanks! Looking forward to it

Picked up the car today.

It was a very efficient process including Trade-in.

Car was brought out to me as I waited (arrived a few minutes early).

Inspection went okay. No obvious panel gaps etc. It did have a scuff on the drivers sill but they sorted that out there and then.

Main issue was that the car only had 52 miles of charge, and I stay out in Midlothian, so they said I would need to go to the EuroCentral SuperChargers.

(Reason for low charge was that the cars arrived in Glasgow late last night and the facility where pickups are taking place do not have fast chargers.)

Satnav guided me to the Tesla SuperChargers perfectly, and within 30 mins I had 100+ miles in the battery. (Luckily I used a referral code when buying the car, so I had 1000 free miles. Tesla did say that they would refund me the cost of the charge as well, but I don’t need to bother as they were free)

Car is now home and first software update applied.

If anyone wants to know anything, give me a shout.
Sounds fairly painless, did you have to register with reception at Dakota?

Yep, would love all the details as I should be doing the same in a week or two - car assigned but no date yet
Picked up the car on Saturday.

It was a very efficient process including Trade-in.

Car was brought out to me as I waited (arrived a few minutes early).

Inspection went okay. No obvious panel gaps etc. Did have a scuff on the drivers sill but they sorted that out there and then.

Only issue was that the car only had 52 miles of charge, and I stay out in Midlothian, so they said I would need to go to Eurocentral SuperChargers.

(Reason for low charge was that the cars arrived in Glasgow late Friday night and the facility where pickups are taking place do not have fast chargers.)

Car is now home and first software update applied.

If anyone wants to know anything, give me a shout.

A bit late now but I thought I'd share, if anyone has any additional questions message me.

Delivered but wasn't given any warning (such as hour away call or tracking link as promised), just had a call from the company who were lost 5mins away.

Delivery very good and around 12 miles on the clock, with about 60% charge.

App activated the following morning.

USB drive, 3pin plug charger and type 2 cable supplied. Small mudflaps fitted, longer ones in the boot. Floor mats + safety kit

Issues - very small scratch and issue with a rubber seal but both booked in with SC who say they'll fix it. USB drive worked but after update failed all the time.

No paint, panel or other gaps which I could see.

Very impressed with the car, one-pedal driving easy enough but fiddling about with the screen to get things needs practise! Must use more voice commands but not a fan of shouting out commands with passengers.

Very impressed with the car, one-pedal driving easy enough
I only heard that the elderly in the US might sometimes get mixed up and slam on the "gas" when in on-pedal mode, thinking it's the brake, .. the rest is history:)
How can you perform emergency braking with one-pedal mode, just lift off and the car will do that? Or is it only going for regen stopping forces?

Collected my LR on Monday from Thorpe Park - was supposed to be a delivery but hey, someone got it wrong and I didn't want to wait for another 2 weeks to rearrange.

Arrived 45 mins early, was the only one in the reception area, two Tesla employees were very efficient. Just checked licence, that's it ... handed cards, pointed in right direction, and off I was.

Found the car straight away, how exciting that was. I knew what to check but couldn't find anything wrong with it ... panels good, seats good, paint good, all cables and USB sticks present.
Took a few pics and went on my 80m journey home ... stopped at Heathrow T5 superchargers, not because I had to but because I could 😁 ... and since Tesla said they wait for 2h before completing the transfer, I got a few free kwh 👍.

Great car, so modern, great soundsystem and it smells good. Octopus move should be completed soon, so I am ready for saving some money (and the polar bears as Clarkson would say 😎)

I only heard that the elderly in the US might sometimes get mixed up and slam on the "gas" when in on-pedal mode, thinking it's the brake, .. the rest is history:)
How can you perform emergency braking with one-pedal mode, just lift off and the car will do that? Or is it only going for regen stopping forces?
There is a brake pedal 🤣 but yes the regen slows the car to a stop. You can, and sometimes do, need to use the brake ie: someone jumps a junction or a pedestrian wants to suddenly leap into the road. That being said, the car (so I'm told) will emergency brake if it sees a possible collision (like many other modern cars).

There is a brake pedal 🤣
Hey waiter, but I ordered one-pedal driving mode, and emergency stop is part of driving 😆
but yes the regen slows the car to a stop. You can, and sometimes do, need to use the brake ie: someone jumps a junction or a pedestrian wants to suddenly leap into the road. That being said, the car (so I'm told) will emergency brake if it sees a possible collision (like many other modern cars).
Surely not much info on that since there weren't many volunteers :D I too was curious if a car would brake or evade a collision, even when autopilot is off.

The day has finally come to say goodbye to 2019 perfomance...

side-old.jpg

.. and hello to the new MIC Long Range

side-new.jpg

Overall, I'm really impressed with the new car and the delivery process has been really smooth. The VIN on the car is the same as was allocated a month ago and communication from Tesla has been faultless. I'm very impressed with the changes made to the car since 2019. Build quality is solid. Panel gaps are, mostly, very good. I can find no real defects.

The car was supposed to be delivered but when I discovered thismorning they were planning to drive 20 miles to deliver it I quickly changed arrangements to collect it in person. Lockdown being what it is that was from an empty car park opposite the SC. Call me old fashioned but I like to be the first to drive a new car with single digits (it had 6) on the odomoter. Besides, Im getting the sills PPFd in a few days (the old car sufferred down there) and aim to keep the car chip-free as possible until then.

Nothing's perfect, however, so here's first impressions and experiences, good, bad and ugly:

Good
1. The new seats feel much firmer and supportive. In a good way.

2. The doors close more solidly, far less window shake when closing the door.

3. Much quieter. On the old car there would be some wind noise above 50, as if coming in through the window. That seems to have disappeared now. The seals on the new car seem to be uniformly installed, without bumps, and just feel better.

Bad
1. The charge limit was set at 100% and Belfast SC had left it charging to 100% overnight. This really gives me the pip. I wish Tesla Service staff would stop charging to 100%. Same thing happened at Dublin SC in 2019.

2. Paint swirls.
I pointed this out to the SC and in fairness they said I could book a service visit to have it polished out. Attached images don't really capture the problem very well. I think I'll chat it through with the PPF guy when I take it in and see what he says about paint condition.

bonnet.jpgboot.jpg

3. No hub cap removal tool in the glove box. Minor I know, and I can buy one for a few quid, its just that I returned the old one and wish I hadn't.

4. The bonnet is slightly misaligned. It is noticable, with about 4 mm / 7 mm gap left/right. A service appointment I think.

Ugly
1. The fake wood trim in the old car was smooth. Now it looks like it has wordworm. Is this normal?

20210319_135149.jpg

Belfast SC had a lot of new M3s on site being prepared for delivery. My car had arrived just yesterday, Thursday. Despite being busy with deliveries I was given plenty of time to look over the new car before accepting it. The new car was enabled in the app, with the old car gone within minutes of acceptance. It was frighteningly painless and easy.

Tesla seem to have addressed lots of issues with build (not sure how much of this is MIC or the 2021 facelift) quality as well as the order/delivery process. Its a shame its let down by poor valeting but from past experience I know Tesla will sort out the minor grumbles that otherwise detract from a really great car.

4. The bonnet is slightly misaligned. It is noticable, with about 4 mm / 7 mm gap left/right. A service appointment I think.
So almost double the gap on one side! How well are the front wings aligned? On mine the driver's side front wing is tighter against the A-pillar, so the gap to the bonnet on that side is tighter too. But it's about 1 mm different to the other side (Fremont built 2021 LR). I'm going to ask them to adjust it next time it needs to go in for something more important.

View attachment 646046

.. and hello to the new MIC Long Range

View attachment 646048

Overall, I'm really impressed with the new car and the delivery process has been really smooth. The VIN on the car is the same as was allocated a month ago and communication from Tesla has been faultless. I'm very impressed with the changes made to the car since 2019. Build quality is solid. Panel gaps are, mostly, very good. I can find no real defects.

The car was supposed to be delivered but when I discovered thismorning they were planning to drive 20 miles to deliver it I quickly changed arrangements to collect it in person. Lockdown being what it is that was from an empty car park opposite the SC. Call me old fashioned but I like to be the first to drive a new car with single digits (it had 6) on the odomoter. Besides, Im getting the sills PPFd in a few days (the old car sufferred down there) and aim to keep the car chip-free as possible until then.

Nothing's perfect, however, so here's first impressions and experiences, good, bad and ugly:

Good
1. The new seats feel much firmer and supportive. In a good way.

2. The doors close more solidly, far less window shake when closing the door.

3. Much quieter. On the old car there would be some wind noise above 50, as if coming in through the window. That seems to have disappeared now. The seals on the new car seem to be uniformly installed, without bumps, and just feel better.

Bad
1. The charge limit was set at 100% and Belfast SC had left it charging to 100% overnight. This really gives me the pip. I wish Tesla Service staff would stop charging to 100%. Same thing happened at Dublin SC in 2019.

2. Paint swirls.
I pointed this out to the SC and in fairness they said I could book a service visit to have it polished out. Attached images don't really capture the problem very well. I think I'll chat it through with the PPF guy when I take it in and see what he says about paint condition.

View attachment 646051View attachment 646052

3. No hub cap removal tool in the glove box. Minor I know, and I can buy one for a few quid, its just that I returned the old one and wish I hadn't.

Ugly
1. The fake wood trim in the old car was smooth. Now it looks like it has wordworm. Is this normal?

View attachment 646069

Belfast SC had a lot of new M3s on site being prepared for delivery. My car had arrived just yesterday, Thursday. Despite being busy with deliveries I was given plenty of time to look over the new car before accepting it. The new car was enabled in the app, with the old car gone within minutes of acceptance. It was frighteningly painless and easy.

Tesla seem to have addressed lots of issues with build (not sure how much of this is MIC or the 2021 facelift) quality as well as the order/delivery process. Its a shame its let down by poor valeting but from past experience I know Tesla will sort out the minor grumbles that otherwise detract from a really great car.
I enquired with my local detailer how much paint correction would cost just in case my new car has swirls. It is about £500 so I recommend getting Tesla to do it or get them to pay a local to to do it.

Collected blue LR last Saturday, all went smoothly in Birm.
The niggles: found 4 scuffs scratches within the clear coat (front bumper each side, and on each nearside door).

7BDadGh_d.jpg3Wb1akU_d.jpg
aOlZDcF_d.jpg3LEa79O_d.jpg
Tesla said they will buff them out but need to book via app and wait a week or two, as Saturdays they're open to do only hand polishing.

Since I already had ceramic coating booked in (didn't want to postpone anything further while the car is fresh), the detailer said he'd absorb the cost of eliminating those scratches. Prior to that Tesla'd refused to foot the bill increase if I run by my selected body-shop.

Overall paintwork was full of holograms and some swirls, that's all expected and eradicated during pre-ceramic prep.

Noticed nearside rear bumper is tucked in if standing close to the door and looking at the wheel arch (and the panel above is sitting too proud). Offside were all aligned flush. That was also the same with other cars around 🤷 :)

Rear numberplate seems to be flimsy and only its top part is fixed, bottom's loose if prodded:) Will need to re-inspect once back from coating (biting my nails now for having left the baby for days!:))

Anyone else noticed any above bits?:)

Last was the bumper bit being too proud up between offside headlamp and bonnet. But I just pushed it back in and already looked better. Their adviser said MIC cars are all "within spec" ;)

Apart from those, no other gaps or imperfections, the car looks and drives out of this world and I hope it will keep me in this one for very very long :D

Last edited:
Picked my M3 Long Range up from Birmingham on Wednesday. All good and they were very professional - except paint swirls (thankfully it was sunny). I've got it booked in to get that buffed out so hopefully that will be sorted. It had 80% battery charge as well by the way.

Only thing I'm unsure about is the cameras look yellow with reds not showing up. This is especially true on the side cameras. Is this normal?

EDIT: Should have just searched it, sorry...

Successful delivery! The car was filthy, so a quick foam and rinse for inspection.
Only found one annoying defect where it looks like someone tried to remove bird poo with sandpaper. Waiting for app access to report it.

Attachments

• D4A881B2-4655-4842-A7F5-E8C8B231B3B2.jpeg
    D4A881B2-4655-4842-A7F5-E8C8B231B3B2.jpeg
    627.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 418891EA-F060-48A2-802B-C45CDDDCD61A.jpeg
    418891EA-F060-48A2-802B-C45CDDDCD61A.jpeg
    900.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 874FF4ED-339B-43E2-A234-85CCCBE43AF5.jpeg
    874FF4ED-339B-43E2-A234-85CCCBE43AF5.jpeg
    609 KB · Views: 57
  • FAE46AE2-89F3-4C88-B2C1-1712AD34A51A.jpeg
    FAE46AE2-89F3-4C88-B2C1-1712AD34A51A.jpeg
    647.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 22D05821-953D-457C-ACAD-48577990979A.jpeg
    22D05821-953D-457C-ACAD-48577990979A.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 73
Picked up from Park Royal. Very quiet but seems to only be overflow so I assume Thorpe park is packed. 80% charged but I suppose it helps being at a service centre with super chargers

few issues to deal with later - guy said to take photos while he was there and upload when the app activates. Mostly ok - small ding in the boot and some bubbling paint near the headlight. Inside lots of dark spots on the headlining and most will have to be replaced

does premium connectivity not kick in until the app activated too? It’s saying for theater mode I need WiFi and asking me to sign in to my own Spotify premium account at the moment

Picked up from Park Royal. Very quiet but seems to only be overflow so I assume Thorpe park is packed. 80% charged but I suppose it helps being at a service centre with super chargers

few issues to deal with later - guy said to take photos while he was there and upload when the app activates. Mostly ok - small ding in the boot and some bubbling paint near the headlight. Inside lots of dark spots on the headlining and most will have to be replaced

does premium connectivity not kick in until the app activated too? It’s saying for theater mode I need WiFi and asking me to sign in to my own Spotify premium account at the moment
Oh dear, I wonder whether yours was a rush job towards the end of the Q1 build phase?

Premium connectivity will kick in at the same time as the app. You should get a text telling you your premium connectivity trial has started, which is when the app will also start working.

Oh dear, I wonder whether yours was a rush job towards the end of the Q1 build phase?

Premium connectivity will kick in at the same time as the app. You should get a text telling you your premium connectivity trial has started, which is when the app will also start working.

Don’t think so - I think its a fremont car, was discounted and inventory as a demo car (but only 23 miles on the odometer so seems to have been a showroom car).

It’ll get sorted and they aren’t too far from me - either park royal or ‘heathrow’