Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2021 Model 3 Q4 Collection and Delivery Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SR+ owners I was brainstorming and came up with a logical way to work out battery capacity. My car is on the consumption page giving a predicted range worked out from average energy consumption. I know it gives slight variation on predicted terrain undulations however in the overall picture when doing calculations works out very close to what I have been reading about the 60kwh pack.

My display shows an average consumption over 30 miles of 182wh/m and a remaining estimated range of 267 on 81% battery. I know I know my figures are low 😂 I am an eco warrior when it comes to getting best range. Beauty of this calculation it doesn't matter how inefficient you drive the result will work just the same.

If we take 267 X 182 we get the total kWh remaining, 48.8 which as I said is 81%. Convert that and 100% is 60.3.

For those of you without a connector to check run this calculation on yours as it is much more accurate than seeing how much charge you have put in.

Hope this helps 😊

Audi Sq5 has always been top drawer. Not sure on the cheaper Audi’s. For me, BMW interiors have looked the same for the past 20 years.
I went from a 2015 RS3 (which remains the best value for money car I’ve ever owned, it was epic!) to a 2017 C63 Coupe which knocked spots off the RS3 interior, the C63 had a leather bound dash, doors, and lovely supple plastics. I then looked at a 2019 SQ5 (I don’t keep cars more than 2 years), I got in, touched the cheap, hard, rattly door card and immediately left the showroom. Such a shame, I’m a big Audi fan. It’ll come back with time though.

I went from a 2015 RS3 (which remains the best value for money car I’ve ever owned, it was epic!) to a 2017 C63 Coupe which knocked spots off the RS3 interior, the C63 had a leather bound dash, doors, and lovely supple plastics. I then looked at a 2019 SQ5 (I don’t keep cars more than 2 years), I got in, touched the cheap, hard, rattly door card and immediately left the showroom. Such a shame, I’m a big Audi fan. It’ll come back with time though.
2018 was before their tighten of budgets for cars

Reactions: Krisey
Collected today from Thorpe Park. Lovely clear day. There was a bit of faff arranging the deposit refund (car is leased through work, but I placed the original RN with my card) but otherwise it was key card, sign and go.

Signed for the car before inspection, which I queried, but the CS rep said if there were any problems to just come back. I did see another person drive round in their black M3 with a scuff/paint problem which the team sorted without issue.

The CS rep had the exact GPS location of the car in the tent on his laptop, which was unnervingly accurate. I walked round to the tent and could see a couple of hundred cars in the car park still waiting a tent relocation. Very few Performance variants, mostly LR And SR+.

The car was exactly where the GPS position suggested, and off I went through the checklist. The tent was relatively quiet. The red and black cars looked spectacular, but I was going for cost effectiveness and will never have another black car. This is my first white car and I really like it. I spent around 45 mins going through the car and checklists and the only issue I found was a slightly grubby mark on the drivers sunvisor - perhaps a Hyperion Ray crew member’s dirty hand - who knows?

All panel gaps perfect, all interior perfect, but the ‘wash’ the car had received was very, very average.

The car had 50% charge and 7 miles on the clock and was already on software version 2021.40.6 - complete with waypoints and Tidal. Careful manoeuvring out of the tent (cue UFO pedestrian warning in reverse) and yes the windows all squeak!

The car is a completely standard M3 LR, and the intitial drive to Heathrow Hilton supercharger was in chill, which was pokey enough for manoeuvring around Staines. It feels like I’m sitting high compared to my previous M135i X-drive (departed on Wednesday) and even in chill it’s quicker, particularly with the instant torque and pickup.

The battery Pre-conditioned on the way to Heathrow Hilton and I was pleased to see plenty of stalls were available on the satnav. The electricity cost is roughly the same price as my current home deal - £0.22/kWh as I was a victim of Avro going pop and am now on Octopus. We have PV, Zappi, Eddi and Powerwall being installed next week and Octopus Go is primed and ready for overnight use, even though the current Octopus Go day rate is poor at 25p/kWh, but with Solar and Powerwall we are hoping to dodge most of that.

I selected a vacant V3 charger - most other occupied stalls were V2 with Model S/X plugged in. I spotted another Thorpe Park new customer who collected at the same time as me and who had plugged into a V2 charger - beside another Model S already plugged in (etiquette!). There were loads of V3’s free and I chatted to him and hopefully helped by pointing out V3 were quicker, and easy to spot with a single lead and probably worth using next time. That said, I’m a SuC virgin as I didn’t exactly park far enough back and the car stuck out like a sore thumb. Obviously a newbie…

I wanted 90% charge as our home charger install isn’t until next week, so I bought a coffee at the Hilton which gives you 4 hours of free parking, otherwise you are limited as a Tesla customer to 30 mins plus 10 mins to exit. The car didn’t charge much above 100kW as the battery charge level was already pretty high, but the 39kw on the bill took around 35 mins and cost £8.58. My app had activated before leaving Thorpe Park, which I wasn’t expecting as the car is leased. Sadly I placed my order after the referral scheme closed.
The Hilton was a good place to stop though; tasty coffee with Tesla discount (10%) and nice amenities. The staff are totally clued up on the Tesla parking process and volunteered the discount on the coffee, rather than having to ask.

Cruise home was about 35 mins on a busy M25. Autopilot (totally standard) kicked in after camera calibration which in total took around 20 mins of driving from Thorpe Park. It is far, far superior to the best BMW had to offer on the F40 M135i and still better than the best Audi can offer on my SQ7, which itself is far better than BMW. I didn’t have any phantom braking, but did have one moment when the steering decided to make a dive for the hedge at a junction. Definitely keep a hand on the wheel. The lack of variable speed limit detection is annoying, but otherwise the system is very good and accurate. One pedal driving is very intuitive and doesn’t take long to adjust to. In standard mode the car is brilliantly quick and destroys most other cars on the road.

Averaged about 238kWh on the drive home at 60/70mph and 8 degrees.

When home, installed matt speigen screen protector (much better for reflections and fingerprints), and official Tesla trays which make the storage space much more useable. Also screwed in the glass bonra hook for the boot. The standard cable supplied is only 4 meters, so glad I bought a Mennekes 7.5m one from Tesla. Kids love the fart sounds and Netflix and overall I’m very happy and have zero regrets.

I managed to get a picture of the battery, but suspect it’s a standard LG 75kWh for the UK as per the rest of 2021. I’ll plug in SMT and the OBD tomorrow or later next week to find out more.

Pros: smooth, fast and capable. Touch interface (stalks etc) much higher quality than I remember and expected from spending last two months reading forums. Build quality all round is very good and I really have nothing to complain about. Stereo is superb. I didn’t get a chance to listen to music on my 30 min test drives. Destroys BMW Harmon Kardon and Audi Bose.

Cons: Needs variable speed limit detection for M25 and other UK motorways. Also need better variability in selectable units. I want MPH for speed, but distance for parking sensors in CM, but it’s all metric or imperial. Struggling to control music from screen on the iPhone. It’s not intuitive but I probably need to play around with it more.

Great car and can’t wait for my Y to arrive next year - this time in grey and white interior. The frunk isn’t deep in the M3, so the deeper Y frunk will be much more useable.

Good luck all who are collecting this month.

Attachments

• 3FFC62A2-7B0B-4A9D-8F48-51E4C5DBCC37.jpeg
    3FFC62A2-7B0B-4A9D-8F48-51E4C5DBCC37.jpeg
    517.2 KB · Views: 70
  • F90FAD2C-5012-4B56-86C0-DB3647E0B78C.jpeg
    F90FAD2C-5012-4B56-86C0-DB3647E0B78C.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 46
  • C33058C2-3242-49E4-80D0-449211EE4CA7.jpeg
    C33058C2-3242-49E4-80D0-449211EE4CA7.jpeg
    795.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 96476004-B7B6-4E26-BE68-2563220DFEB8.jpeg
    96476004-B7B6-4E26-BE68-2563220DFEB8.jpeg
    451.5 KB · Views: 43
  • E749C00D-77AF-4142-A20F-971907BD7D49.jpeg
    E749C00D-77AF-4142-A20F-971907BD7D49.jpeg
    478.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 2DF4C562-F212-4114-8038-B45035A7485B.jpeg
    2DF4C562-F212-4114-8038-B45035A7485B.jpeg
    674.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 5B530194-8AFD-4099-9182-FDE7107B2AED.jpeg
    5B530194-8AFD-4099-9182-FDE7107B2AED.jpeg
    682.4 KB · Views: 46
  • D6AAFAB7-7E3D-4FA8-8739-F136F88072D0.jpeg
    D6AAFAB7-7E3D-4FA8-8739-F136F88072D0.jpeg
    693.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 22DF2FBF-005F-4BC7-8704-9ED83D389179.jpeg
    22DF2FBF-005F-4BC7-8704-9ED83D389179.jpeg
    699.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 6E1E4097-79BE-4829-8804-BF2A8702C312.jpeg
    6E1E4097-79BE-4829-8804-BF2A8702C312.jpeg
    493.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Collected today from Thorpe Park. Lovely clear day. There was a bit of faff arranging the deposit refund (car is leased through work, but I placed the original RN with my card) but otherwise it was key card, sign and go.

Signed for the car before inspection, which I queried, but the CS rep said if there were any problems to just come back. I did see another person drive round in their black M3 with a scuff/paint problem which the team sorted without issue.

The CS rep had the exact GPS location of the car in the tent on his laptop, which was unnervingly accurate. I walked round to the tent and could see a couple of hundred cars in the car park still waiting a tent relocation. Very few Performance variants, mostly LR And SR+.

The car was exactly where the GPS position suggested, and off I went through the checklist. The tent was relatively quiet. The red and black cars looked spectacular, but I was going for cost effectiveness and will never have another black car. This is my first white car and I really like it. I spent around 45 mins going through the car and checklists and the only issue I found was a slightly grubby mark on the drivers sunvisor - perhaps a Hyperion Ray crew member’s dirty hand - who knows?

All panel gaps perfect, all interior perfect, but the ‘wash’ the car had received was very, very average.

The car had 50% charge and 7 miles on the clock and was already on software version 2021.40.6 - complete with waypoints and Tidal. Careful manoeuvring out of the tent (cue UFO pedestrian warning in reverse) and yes the windows all squeak!

The car is a completely standard M3 LR, and the intitial drive to Heathrow Hilton supercharger was in chill, which was pokey enough for manoeuvring around Staines. It feels like I’m sitting high compared to my previous M135i X-drive (departed on Wednesday) and even in chill it’s quicker, particularly with the instant torque and pickup.

The battery Pre-conditioned on the way to Heathrow Hilton and I was pleased to see plenty of stalls were available on the satnav. The electricity cost is roughly the same price as my current home deal - £0.22/kWh as I was a victim of Avro going pop and am now on Octopus. We have PV, Zappi, Eddi and Powerwall being installed next week and Octopus Go is primed and ready for overnight use, even though the current Octopus Go day rate is poor at 25p/kWh, but with Solar and Powerwall we are hoping to dodge most of that.

I selected a vacant V3 charger - most other occupied stalls were V2 with Model S/X plugged in. I spotted another Thorpe Park new customer who collected at the same time as me and who had plugged into a V2 charger - beside another Model S already plugged in (etiquette!). There were loads of V3’s free and I chatted to him and hopefully helped by pointing out V3 were quicker, and easy to spot with a single lead and probably worth using next time. That said, I’m a SuC virgin as I didn’t exactly park far enough back and the car stuck out like a sore thumb. Obviously a newbie…

I wanted 90% charge as our home charger install isn’t until next week, so I bought a coffee at the Hilton which gives you 4 hours of free parking, otherwise you are limited as a Tesla customer to 30 mins plus 10 mins to exit. The car didn’t charge much above 100kW as the battery charge level was already pretty high, but the 39kw on the bill took around 35 mins and cost £8.58. My app had activated before leaving Thorpe Park, which I wasn’t expecting as the car is leased. Sadly I placed my order after the referral scheme closed.
The Hilton was a good place to stop though; tasty coffee with Tesla discount (10%) and nice amenities. The staff are totally clued up on the Tesla parking process and volunteered the discount on the coffee, rather than having to ask.

Cruise home was about 35 mins on a busy M25. Autopilot (totally standard) kicked in after camera calibration which in total took around 20 mins of driving from Thorpe Park. It is far, far superior to the best BMW had to offer on the F40 M135i and still better than the best Audi can offer on my SQ7, which itself is far better than BMW. I didn’t have any phantom braking, but did have one moment when the steering decided to make a dive for the hedge at a junction. Definitely keep a hand on the wheel. The lack of variable speed limit detection is annoying, but otherwise the system is very good and accurate. One pedal driving is very intuitive and doesn’t take long to adjust to. In standard mode the car is brilliantly quick and destroys most other cars on the road.

When home, installed matt speigen screen protector (much better for reflections and fingerprints), and official Tesla trays which make the storage space much more useable. Also screwed in the glass bonra hook for the boot. The standard cable supplied is only 4 meters, so glad I bought a Mennekes 7.5m one from Tesla. Kids love the fart sounds and Netflix and overall I’m very happy and have zero regrets.

I managed to get a picture of the battery, but suspect it’s a standard LG 75kWh for the UK as per the rest of 2021. I’ll plug in SMT and the OBD tomorrow or later next week to find out more.

Pros: smooth, fast and capable. Touch interface (stalks etc) much higher quality than I remember and expected from spending last two months reading forums. Build quality all round is very good and I really have nothing to complain about. Stereo is superb. I didn’t get a chance to listen to music on my 30 min test drives. Destroys BMW Harmon Kardon and Audi Bose.

Cons: Needs variable speed limit detection for M25 and other UK motorways. Also need better variability in selectable units. I want MPH for speed, but distance for parking sensors in CM, but it’s all metric or imperial. Struggling to control music from screen on the iPhone. It’s not intuitive but I probably need to play around with it more.

Great car and can’t wait for my Y to arrive next year - this time in grey and white interior. The frunk isn’t deep in the M3, so the deeper Y frunk will be much more useable.

Annoying that everyone’s getting squeaky windows.

I know it’s easily fixed, just would have expected some cars, not all cars.

Anyone got a video recording of this?

Didn’t realise you can control the music from your phone In the car

We have PV, Zappi, Eddi and Powerwall being installed next week and Octopus Go is primed and ready for overnight use, even though the current Octopus Go day rate is poor at 25p/kWh, but with Solar and Powerwall we are hoping to dodge most of that.
Doesn't the installation of Solar/Powerwall kind of make the 25p cost of electric pointless with the large initial outlay?

Great post ! My M3P is due to be delivered on the 15/12/21 also with the LB71 number plate..... Like you I had a F40 M135 and currently a M340i which have been great cars but I now am ready to join the electric revolution . Looking forward to learning the ropes and have found the forum a great source of information .

Reactions: jlz78
Doesn't the installation of Solar/Powerwall kind of make the 25p cost of electric pointless with the large initial outlay?
Of course, but if everything we did in life was only about cost, I wouldn’t buy a Tesla either, or other nice consumer items. It’s not about pure electric cost for us. It’s also about self reliance when there are power cuts (we get lots around here) and generally making our house less reliant on grid elec and gas - which are only going up, so the payback term gets shorter as those commodity prices rise. Charging the car for free and getting hot water for free from excess PV is a bonus.

That said, I’ll still pay as little for electricity as I can. The Powerwall etc are an investment in our property.

Last edited:
I picked up mine today but too tired to report - will do it tomorrow.

Was unable to select music off the phone. Triggering Siri from the phone home button made the car think I was making a call, and it tried to interpret my music search as a contact search. Bloody useless. Voice commands worked 10% of the time, I’m really livid with it. Rest of the car amazing so far.

I picked up mine today but too tired to report - will do it tomorrow.

Was unable to select music off the phone. Triggering Siri from the phone home button made the car think I was making a call, and it tried to interpret my music search as a contact search. Bloody useless. Voice commands worked 10% of the time, I’m really livid with it. Rest of the car amazing so far.
Yes I love the car, but as an Apple Music user it’s not great, I obviously knew it didn’t have CarPlay but basic functionality is all you get. DAB UI needs lots of work for the UK Tesla need to put effort into this stuff as well.

Reactions: guru1
Collected my SR+ from Leicester today. Handover was fairly easy including trade-in, which they didn't even look at (perhaps also because it was parked furthest away, not much parking space amongst all the Tesla's!) While queuing for the handover was chatting to a nice gent who was trading in his model S after 5.5 years of happy driving, wanting something smaller and newer. Also received some help on how to adjust the mirrors from a Tesla's Owners Club member.

No major issues with the car, but it did have a small (2mm) nick on the door, which I mentioned and told to raise on the app. Also small scratch on the passenger door, which will probably buff out. No heated steering wheel or rear seats, which are offered as an option via the "cold weather feature" upgrade. Will see if it appears as part of a software update over the coming days (/weeks?).

Drove to East Midlands Designer outlet on our way to visiting friends in Sheffield for our first supercharger experience, which was full apart from one bay (even though when plotting the route the satnav said it was moderately busy). Started to reverse into it, until a knock on the window from the driver in the next bay who informed that he believed the bay I wanted to use wasn't working, but to use his instead as he was leaving. Another friendly Tesla family member! Paid £13.95 for 45 Kwh, bringing the car form 17% to 87% charged in 30 minutes. Also changed the unit of measurement from KM to miles, which was very confusing trying to keep to the correct speedlimits for the first few miles.

Great drive to Sheffield and back to Derby, using basic cruise control as well as autopilot. On returning home it notified my about the available wifi, hooked it up without problems and started dowloading its first update. Still no heated steering wheel/rear seats though.

Attachments

• 8BB08BD5-F53C-4B16-8DE4-84B0E0B7A4F9 copy.jpg
    8BB08BD5-F53C-4B16-8DE4-84B0E0B7A4F9 copy.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 44
  • D1F67306-84DB-443B-901D-8C12816B9FAD copy.jpg
    D1F67306-84DB-443B-901D-8C12816B9FAD copy.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 2ECF6E31-1F29-44D2-B463-815404B098EE copy.jpg
    2ECF6E31-1F29-44D2-B463-815404B098EE copy.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 46
  • B4B6AE93-588D-407C-9BFD-DA47555D4B64 copy.jpg
    B4B6AE93-588D-407C-9BFD-DA47555D4B64 copy.jpg