Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK 2021 Orders and Pending Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You do not need to know the registration or the VIN to put insurance provisional quote in place for a car well ahead of pickup. The only thing that reg no and/or VIN does is help an insurer identify the specification of a vehicle. Its just a quick way, it can be entered manually and the latter is sometimes needed anyway as there may need to be options, wheels, tow, FSD etc declared to the insurer which a VIN or reg no lookup would not even be aware of.

Once reg number and collection date/time is known, then the provisional quote is then firmed up with the insurer and any premium adjustment paid - this premium will have been calculated at time of provisional quote, less any small pro-rate time adjustment. This is often best to do this over the phone or via online chat as by that point, the car will probably not be registered so insurers online car checks will not pick up the car anyway. A human the other end of the chat/phone will know exactly what is needed and allow you to clarify any uncertainties such as exactly when insurance starts/transfers etc.
Thanks for that, am with Hastings and they want the reg number in order to do the cover on the day over the phone or app, I did check so am expecting that will be a last minute job on the day etc. Let's see 🤞

Does anyone have experience of ordering through NHS Fleet Solutions?

First ordered (LR Midnight Silver) early March. Order cancelled due to admin error.

Second quote/order caught up in the grant fiasco despite it being signed off (or maybe not) before 18th March.

Third order finally accepted and confirmed at the end of April.

I've requested the RN on several occasions and still haven't received it.

I know there's Fleet and a lease company between me and Tesla but after two failed attempts at ordering I'll remain nervous until I receive the RN.

Or should I just chill and be patient?

Thanks for that, am with Hastings and they want the reg number in order to do the cover on the day over the phone or app, I did check so am expecting that will be a last minute job on the day etc. Let's see 🤞

No (regular) insurer (that I know of) will cover a car without knowing the reg number so what they say is correct, but you should be arranging insurance ahead of cover starting, ideally around 21 days ahead if you want to get the best price. Even if you are intending to switch your existing insurance to new car as many of us do, you really want to be getting that insurance quote provisionally in place ahead of the final call. Not only will that will get you a more competitive price (insurers know they have you by the short and curlies if you leave it till the last moment), but it turns it into a 5 minute phone call just to confirm and pay.

Reactions: yfwt
Make sure you get your quotes for that day saved now, so the price doesn't go up. Then once you're sure you're picking it up you can use the vehicle VIN until you pick the car up and know the reg. They don't normally put on the registration plate till the day – because so many people don't turn on time or delay the transfer of it because of finance falling through etc etc.
But don't I need to know the Reg to be able to get car insurance quotes? Living in Ireland. Not sure it matters

Last edited:
I got a quote on a comparison site just on the type/model of car. Phoned my existing company and they said definitely need the reg no. before they will put cover in place, a phone call on the day of pickup is ok, as long as it is before you drive the car. I am with Chuchill and they wanted about £550, so got a quote from direct line and that was £410, which didn't seem too bad. Has anyone found it cheaper?
I have 22nd May for pickup, so just got to pay now then wait for the big day.

First ordered (LR Midnight Silver) early March. Order cancelled due to admin error.

Second quote/order caught up in the grant fiasco despite it being signed off (or maybe not) before 18th March.

I know there's Fleet and a lease company between me and Tesla but after two failed attempts at ordering I'll remain nervous until I receive the RN.

I had similar issues with GMP drivecare, which my trust uses. Needless to say a year later an I am still waiting to get hold of the car.
Suggest finding out which leasing company NHS fleet are using and contact them directly for the RN, that way you'll know for sure. Arnold Clark where happy to oblige in my case.

Hi Mate, almost the same thing happened to me. Ordered in Feb, order got cancelled in March due to the Grant fiasco and my second order has been accepted, but just like you I am finding it difficult to obtain the RN from Fleet/the Lease company. We cannot directly contact the lease company but NHS can and do email them, I check daily with them and no response from the Lease company. I have even emailed them existing inventory from the Tesla website to see if they can do an accelerated delivery, but again no response. It is useless.

I had similar issues with GMP drivecare, which my trust uses. Needless to say a year later an I am still waiting to get hold of the car.
Suggest finding out which leasing company NHS fleet are using and contact them directly for the RN, that way you'll know for sure. Arnold Clark where happy to oblige in my case.
You really had to wait one year? I have been waiting 6 weeks and am restless, how did you deal with a year?

Reactions: Yeahyeahyeah
Makes me feel better - mine's ordered through Kinto (was Inchcape). Not had a VIN or delivery date yet, but got the RN number within a few days, and Tesla Birmingham can see the order. Stinks having an intermediary who charge for "adding value" and actually just get in the way and make things worse.

Makes me feel better - mine's ordered through Kinto (was Inchcape). Not had a VIN or delivery date yet, but got the RN number within a few days, and Tesla Birmingham can see the order. Stinks having an intermediary who charge for "adding value" and actually just get in the way and make things worse.
That is great that you have at least the RN number. That is the only thing Tesla Birmingham asked from me and I have been chasing it like crazy. Did you get this from NHS or directly from the lease company?

It looks like new LR and SR+ cars being delivered into the U.K. have a Pedestrian Warning System at low speeds. I would be very interested to hear from anyone receiving cars from Shanghai this week, to confirm or post videos. Can you turn this off / on as well ? Are there different sound options ? Is it just a Pedestrian Warning System... or is it the Boombox (doubtful) ??

Last edited:
It looks like new LR and SR+ cars being delivered into the U.K. have a Pedestrian Warning System at low speeds. I would be very interested to hear from anyone receiving cars from Shanghai this week, to confirm or post videos. Can you turn this off / on as well ? Are there different sound options ? Is it just a Pedestrian Warning System... or is it the Soundbox (doubtful) ??
Mine turns up tomorrow so will try and confirm. But am I assuming correctly that this will only be active if at crawling speed.

Reactions: 2021_M3P
That is great that you have at least the RN number. That is the only thing Tesla Birmingham asked from me and I have been chasing it like crazy. Did you get this from NHS or directly from the lease company?
The RN number was in a text I had from Tesla - Kinto had given them my (work) email and mobile. I'm not actually NHS, I'm with one of your IT suppliers, but we suffer the same shenanigans. I also had an email from Tesla to set up an account using my work email as username.

Current situation: submitted NHS Salary Sacrifice lease application and lease company ordered on 23rd April. Lease company portal has a 'Revised delivery date' of 30th June (last updated 8th May). We're keen for this to be earlier if possible, and contacted the lease company, saying we're happy to travel to Bristol to pick up, only to be told that 'Tesla will deliver to your home', which is news to me.

I've not had an email from Tesla Bristol in almost a fortnight (I'm guessing the individual I'm emailing there is, first and foremost, a salesperson) but yesterday my wife had a text from Tesla saying they've received the order (!) and encouraging her to set up her account (which we've done). We have an order reference number but apparently no car will show up in the account until after delivery. I was eventually able to set up a payment method for supercharging with Chrome (Edge refused to allow me to add a credit card).

Does all this sound normal? Is it worth emailing the Tesla delivery address to find out more re where our car is, etc.?