Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK 2021 Orders and Pending Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This maybe worth reading for everyone currently not assigned a VIN/waiting for delivery. An update on current advised stock movements from my SA.

So, just had an interesting phone call with my SA.

I emailed to ask if there was any update on my order, as my last contact was a week ago and it was the same sit tight message, so just dropped another email to see if I could get an update/any movement since then.

He asked two things:
- When would I like to take delivery; and
- Did I mind not having a 71' plate car

I said ASAP (and jokingly also said its probably the answer they always get) and that I really didn't care about a 71' plate car. The SA was hoping that he could find me an earlier allocation of the car on a current plate.

A few minutes later I had an email through to say that I needed to review my PCP offer again, although my account was still appearing as it always does, with no VIN or anything on it.

BTW I setup my DD, finance and everything on my account within an hour of placing my order. So my account has been in the 'just allocate me a damn car as there is nothing else to do on my side' stage since placing my order.

He rang me seconds later and explained the situation. He was trying to manually assign my order to a VIN in the system from available inventory cars and had matched my order to one (thus the ping through about reviewing the PCP offer, as he said that was confirmation from his end that his match had gone through).
He then said to give him a few minutes as he needed to go and speak to the branch manager to work out a few details, but he would spend his time today trying to get me into a car. Said he would be 5 minutes to go sort things out and ring back.

Sure enough, <5 minutes later he rings back - with both some good and bad news. He explained the following;

The good news -
I've been matched to a car! They used an inventory allocation as the current build times for my spec were still unknown and he didn't want to chance me missing a slot on the next ship, because...

The bad news-
He said there are currently two ships due over. (see the shipping thread, as it aligns with those)

The first ship heading over from Shanghai which is due for deliveries in the first and second week of September has already had its entire cargo allocated, so for anyone still waiting on being assigned a VIN and/or delivery date, you are not seeing your car before mid September (so I was told).

This was the reason I hadn't seen a VIN allocation yet. The allocations for this are up and its fully booked. If you've received your VIN and a delivery date already, your car is on that ship and heading to you from or around the 1st of September, you're good. If not, you are chancing an allocation on the next ship.

The second ship is yet to leave port in Shanghai and will be arriving in the UK in the second/third week of September with another batch of cars on it. This is the ship that will be carrying all of the current available inventory of cars, so any you see in UK inventory right now are still actually in Shanghai awaiting shipping.

He did also mention that if anyone cancels their order on the earlier ship, you have the chance of being bumped up.

So, kinda bums me out a bit that my car is still over a month away. But its nice to know I have one heading my way and its a little less of a guessing game now.

Just want to add, my SA (despite being a bit flaky at first due to junk mail issues) has been brilliant and really nice to deal with, making me feel like they are batting for me and trying to get me in my car ASAP, which is really nice and appreciated.

Just have the long wait for my car now!
Good info thank you for that. Looking like mid-end of Sept for our 10th July order then. TBH don't mind if it slips as makes things easier on the finance side of things if it arrives later

The 'delivery' process has been the same for every previous quarter.
  • Tesla do not build to order, merely a selection of each model/spec/colour based on prior demand patterns.
  • Cars are usually allocated to customers just as they are shipped or soon after.
  • VINs may or may not be available at this time.
  • Deliveries are scheduled based on availability/logistics to any given Service Centre. This sometimes means that a customer in one location who ordered the same spec later than another customer elsewhere receives their car first because a full transporter 'load' may be travelling to their SC earlier than the other. It's just the way it is.
  • Inventory showing at a specific SC is merely based on full transporter loads already allocated against the cars arriving to the UK port. Inventory is currently 'in transit' even though the Tesla order configurator doesn't make that clear.
  • There is normally a communication vacuum from ordering until a few days before the car is due for collection.
  • The last month & especially last week of a quarter is when most deliveries occur.
  • Upon collection or home delivery an acceptance document will need to be signed & this then triggers DVLA registration.
  • The Customer has 7 days/100 miles to notify Tesla via the app of any remedial work required post delivery. Fortunately for MIC, this appears to be minimal compared to many who went before using MIA.

The 'delivery' process has been the same for every previous quarter.
  • Tesla do not build to order, merely a selection of each model/spec/colour based on prior demand patterns.
  • Cars are usually allocated to customers just as they are shipped or soon after.
  • VINs may or may not be available at this time.
  • Deliveries are scheduled based on availability/logistics to any given Service Centre. This sometimes means that a customer in one location who ordered the same spec later than another customer elsewhere receives their car first because a full transporter 'load' may be travelling to their SC earlier than the other. It's just the way it is.
  • Inventory showing at a specific SC is merely based on full transporter loads already allocated against the cars arriving to the UK port. Inventory is currently 'in transit' even though the Tesla order configurator doesn't make that clear.
  • There is normally a communication vacuum from ordering until a few days before the car is due for collection.
  • The last month & especially last week of a quarter is when most deliveries occur.
  • Upon collection or home delivery an acceptance document will need to be signed & this then triggers DVLA registration.
  • The Customer has 7 days/100 miles to notify Tesla via the app of any remedial work required post delivery. Fortunately for MIC, this appears to be minimal compared to many who went before using MIA.
Thanks for this - do you know what action above drives the registration being either 21 or 71? I’m collecting my car from Southampton on 3rd Sep, and not sure whether it will be a 21 or a 71.

The Customer has 7 days/100 miles to notify Tesla via the app of any remedial work required post delivery. Fortunately for MIC, this appears to be minimal compared to many who went before using MIA.
@Drew57 i had seen most of this going back through the threads but this last point is key and i didn’t know this. Mine will be delivered as it’s leased so need to make sure all is good straight away as 100 in a new toy is easily done in a day!!

Received text today to select collection day and time. Collecting 4th Sept from Glasgow. M3LR blue/black ordered 10th July. Direct purchase.
Disappointed with the Tesla trade-in valuation. Online estimates over £3k more, though I realise the final value will be less but should still be substantially more.

The exact car I switched from! I sold my Tiguan a month ago. Got more for it than I paid! I’ve been using the wife’s car which hasn’t been much as I’m still WFH at the minute.

My expensive VED was due at the start of August too so managed to dodge that bullet.
Finally sold my Tiguan bi-turbo dinosaur fuel. It is a great time to sell second hand cars. Since we are getting back to some form of "normality", there is a big demand as people want transport asap. So I reapplied for online quotes from several companies and most of them increased.
I finally went with Motorway, who auction the car through dealerships and the final offer was £1500 above their highest estimate, which equated to ~£5k more than Tesla offered. Happy days
The downside to this is that I will have to share my wife's Zoe. It not the car, it is a great little car. It's just I'll need to ask the 'boss' when I want to use it!;)

The Customer has 7 days/100 miles to notify Tesla via the app of any remedial work required post delivery. Fortunately for MIC, this appears to be minimal compared to many who went before using MIA.
That’s going to be fun for those of us who have only been given the option to collect from not much less than that distance away. A shame delivery couldn’t be offered.

Reactions: moodel_tree
Anyone who has a delivery date of next week heard anything from Tesla about final finance paperwork or invoices yet? I've been trying since last week to get them to update my account with the settlement for my trade-in so i could make my final payment 7 days before as it states but i've not heard a thing back from them.