Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK 2021 Orders and Pending Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All we know that J is the new Y motor. You would hope or expect it to be more efficient but again we don’t know this. If anything, it looks to be slower!

One would assume that Tesla apply a Minimum Viable Product mentality to their development and then let user experience form part of their "certification" evidence. You can see this with the self drive functions where it uses user over-ride to feed the data-beast, driving improvements which will eventually lead to full self drive capability.

Motors will be no different. They will give a new motor a conservative rating for entry into service when they have the evidence that it is at least as good as the existing motors. But as experience grows (millions of driving hours), they will be able to become less conservative and will likely uprate its performance (via a software update), to increase performance. Overall, you should have a better car in the long term if all pans out, with more range to boot!

Right! UPDATE!

Managed to speak to the same very helpful Tesla CS agent that sorted my order for me last week.

She has stated the below, after getting confirmation today from "head office":
  • If you are already matched with a car, then your SR+ will come with the 278 range, and 5.3sec 0-60. Regardless of what your vin letter/number may say.
  • If you are not yet matched with a car, but you ordered before the 2nd November, then your car will have just been built and getting ready to be put on the next ship. These SR+ cars will come with the 305mile range and 5.6sec 0-60.
  • If you order from today, then you get the advertised Model 3 with 305 range and 5.8sec 0-60.

Right! UPDATE!

Managed to speak to the same very helpful Tesla CS agent that sorted my order for me last week.

• If you are already matched with a car, then your SR+ will come with the 278 range, and 5.3sec 0-60. Regardless of what your vin letter/number may say.
  • If you are not yet matched with a car, but you ordered before the 2nd November, then your car will have just been built and getting ready to be put on the next ship. These SR+ cars will come with the 305mile range and 5.6sec 0-60.
  • If you order from today, then you get the advertised Model 3 with 305 range and 5.8sec 0-60.

Right! UPDATE!

Gives us so more info... I don't think people will miss out on 27 miles of WLTP range really when super chargers are so frequent and fast anyway, nor will people notice a 0.5s or 0.2s acceleration difference - as long as all of these options have LFP!

Reactions: Simonix
Sorry messed that message up...

I called today - not sure where I stand... My VIN was allocated today... The CS couldn't work out whether that meant I had a 5.3s ir a 5.6s model 3...

8th character of the VIN is A if that makes a difference?
I would assume that according to what I was told, you would fall into the 305mile range and 5.6sec 0-60.

But although this is what I was told, I still take everything I hear from Tesla with a little pinch of salt.

I would assume that according to what I was told, you would fall into the 305mile range and 5.6sec 0-60.

But although this is what I was told, I still take everything I hear from Tesla with a little pinch of salt.
Yeah, I've been told this, and then the contrary to this, three times today.

None of them know.

• Funny
Reactions: robbo100
Just a little update to my situation. Lovely CS support feller from Dublin gave me a call there to discuss the situation with me, they received an internal memo this morning to inform them that any Q4 orders that are currently not matched with a VIN will receive the additional range and the original acceleration at which the car was ordered, so in my case - 0-100km'h in 5.6secs and 491km range. He mentioned if this changes at all he'll give me a call but this memo was first thing this morning and if any mistakes were stated it would have been corrected by now.

Just a little update to my situation. Lovely CS support feller from Dublin gave me a call there to discuss the situation with me, they received an internal memo this morning to inform them that any Q4 orders that are currently not matched with a VIN will receive the additional range and the original acceleration at which the car was ordered, so in my case - 0-100km'h in 5.6secs and 491km range. He mentioned if this changes at all he'll give me a call but this memo was first thing this morning and if any mistakes were stated it would have been corrected by now.

So this matches what I was told above - They seem to have had an internal update/memo to explain the situation.

Reactions: Bandito
VIN Code 8th character
A = Single Motor - Standard Model 3
B = Dual Motor - Standard Model 3
C = Dual Motor - Performance Model 3
D = Single Motor - Standard or Performance Model Y
E = Dual Motor - Standard Model Y
F = Dual Motor - Performance Model Y
G = Base A/C Motor, Tier 4 Battery (51-60 kWh)
H = none
J = Single Motor - China
K = Dual Motor - China
L = Dual Motor Performance - China
N = Base A/C Motor, Tier 7 Battery (81-90 kWh)
0 = none
P = Performance A/C Motor, Tier 7 Battery (81-90 kWh)

So this matches what I was told above - They seem to have had an internal update/memo to explain the situation.
This is really interesting, because I was matched about 6 days ago, and at 12:35 Tesla CS told me I was getting the newer battery with more range and a 0.2s 0-60 time than advertised.