Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.12.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt humans cope as well as we imagine. Just go on a drive and see the number of vehicles driving on the lane markers or crossing them without indicators. Because there are no laws or penalties we ignore these minor things. An autonomous software can not be designed to ignore human stupidity. Let me know if you find another L2 autonomous system that can deal with such roads better.
Tesla isn't level 2 autonomous, but my 2014 VW golf could cope with lane changes without being scared, it's safe to assume all VAG cars with the same tech have no issues

Reactions: candida
Brilliant. So far we've had many iterations of "you're not doing it right", now the Tesla enthusiast response is "the roads are wrong". Of course, the HIghways Agency's main focus should be not on managing ever increasing volume but on ensuring that the public network is a suitable test bed for the world's most valuable car maker's attempts at autonomous driving.

TACC phantom braking so ruined an otherwise quite impressive trip with family that my wife doesn't want to travel in the Tesla any more and I don't blame her. I'd settle for dumb cruise, though it's ancient tech. You could have it on a 1981 Honda Prelude. In fact, my 1972 Fiat 500 has a hand throttle that does the same trick.
Hmm, look beyond the marketing brochure. You would find countries like US and Germany preparing and certifying roads as suitable for autonomous driving. The UK is in a party mood, so nothing is happening here. Only recently even Tesla has really started testing the UK roads with lidar enabled cars to identify the issues.
I had the opposite issue where my family were so happy with a Tesla we ended up selling an otherwise good X5! With a USB Hub, I could connect two Xbox controllers, so all charging sessions are now fun. Folks may not realise but an X5 petrol at 18-20 mpg actually requires more fuelling stops than a model Y.

Tesla isn't level 2 autonomous, but my 2014 VW golf could cope with lane changes without being scared,; its safe to assume all VAG cars with the same tech have no issues
Tesla is L2 as per SAE. Yuck, even a Nissan Leaf is L2. VW golf must have never had those safety features in the first place to detect accidental lane changes. My Nissan Leaf was equally faulty, so I turned them all off on day one itself. Fortunately, on most cars, you can disable settings permanently but not a Tesla which is a separate story.

Parts of M1 have very narrow lanes, so when a Tesla tries to measure the available gap, it does get smaller, so it highlights the vehicle and the gap in red and applies the braking since the car is designed to be cautious. Who is at fault here? I think it is the highway agency that has made large parts of the road network unsuitable for autonomous driving by needlessly creating four lanes and smart lanes. Soon, there would be laws in this country that would dictate which roads are allowed for any kind of autonomous driving.
The lanes were no narrower than any other part that I drove on from Wakefield to Mansfield tbh. I’d even gone past other trucks etc with no incidents which made it even more random. I’m not saying the M3 is any worse than any other ACC tbf either. Just that if they want an autonomous car they need to sort this out first. Cruise control is meant to give a relaxing drive not an edge of the seat roller coaster🤷🏼‍♂️. My wife’s response to these incidents was quite simply “turn that crap off, it’s dangerous”.
If cruise control cannot be used without covering the accelerator then it has no purpose as I may as well just use my foot always.

The lanes were no narrower than any other part that I drove on from Wakefield to Mansfield tbh. I’d even gone past other trucks etc with no incidents which made it even more random. I’m not saying the M3 is any worse than any other ACC tbf either. Just that if they want an autonomous car they need to sort this out first. Cruise control is meant to give a relaxing drive not an edge of the seat roller coaster🤷🏼‍♂️. My wife’s response to these incidents was quite simply “turn that crap off, it’s dangerous”.
If cruise control cannot be used without covering the accelerator then it has no purpose as I may as well just use my foot always.
It sounds like a you need a drivers car like a BMW or a Porsche and not an autonomous car that tries to replace humans and their bad behaviour. Tell your wife how the system works and why it brakes and why such a system could work well in the future. If she still insists on using a different car perhaps get her an Uber or some other car for her liking?

I doubt humans cope as well as we imagine. Just go on a drive and see the number of vehicles driving on the lane markers or crossing them without indicators. Because there are no laws or penalties we ignore these minor things. An autonomous software can not be designed to ignore human stupidity. Let me know if you find another L2 autonomous system that can deal with such roads better.
Had an interesting conversation with a BMW salesman the other day about similar. I went for a nosy at the I4 (not overly impressed lol). I asked about adaptive & said I wasn’t a fan. His answer was “ you & I learned to drive when it was taught to look well ahead, nowadays people are taught to rely in the tech!”
To me it’s a shame we have become so dependent on something/ someone else looking out for us, we can no longer take responsibility for ourselves🤷🏼‍♂. It’s a general dumbing down of society by inventing things that do everything for us.
Wonder when automatic arse wiping will occur after having a *sugar*🤔🤣

It sounds like a you need a drivers car like a BMW or a Porsche and not an autonomous car that tries to replace humans and their bad behaviour. Tell your wife how the system works and why it brakes and why such a system could work well in the future. If she still insists on using a different car perhaps get her an Uber or some other car for her liking?
You tell her. I'd pay to watch.

Tell your wife how the system works and why it brakes and why such a system could work well in the future.

And how is that supposed to soothe someone who was woken up by an emergency braking from 75 to 50 and can only think about how lucky it is there wasn't someone behind? Am I supposed to say that our sacrifice would have been part of humanity's grand journey to obsolescence?

Im prepared to bet that Musk has a better chance of sending a rocket to Mars in the next ten years than bringing his fleet of robotaxis (which only needs proper FSD, after all) online.

Reactions: DM206433 and Xdama
And how is that supposed to soothe someone who was woken up by an emergency braking from 75 to 50 and can only think about how lucky it is there wasn't someone behind? Am I supposed to say that our sacrifice would have been part of humanity's grand journey to obsolescence?

Im prepared to bet that Musk has a better chance of sending a rocket to Mars in the next ten years than bringing his fleet of robotaxis (which only needs proper FSD, after all) online.

My wife’s not a fan either, but she also tends to not drive on long trips. So if she’s snoozing in the passenger seat I like the relatively lower mental load of autpilot. I do hover my foot over the accelerator just in case which isn’t ideal, but I prefer to use it than not.

As I said I’m not saying the TACC on the M3 is any worse than othe ACC cars ( shame it’s getting pushed on all from what I’ve read). The Passat ACC was awful too, so is wifey’s Hyundai Kona E, she knows how it should work, problem is it doesn work as it should🤷🏼‍♂️.
But let’s stick a sentence in like “get her an Uber” why not, Tesla can’t be wrong can it🤦🏼‍♂️

• Funny
Reactions: candida
I did my first long trip on version .12 .3 2 (580 miles)and found that it was much easier at not grabbing on lane capture. Much less pressure on the steering wheel to stop the nagging. Almost no phantom braking and the 2 incidents were just to slow a couple of miles per hour not severe by any means.
The downside was that I couldn't cross 2 lanes without the car taking control " for my safety" I was indicating every time, I tried changing one lane, waiting a few seconds and then moving over, moving over in one move. I tried different things.. but discovered that as long as I was indicating continuously into the second lane.. I'd get the warning. So I had to indicate for each lane. And the other downside is that the car wanted to take every exit. The first couple of times were quite a snatch which came as a shock but I managed to correct. But as I came south the snatching became less and less.. perhaps it was the way the lines were painted in Aberdeenshire but I could feel a gentle snatch to the left at almost every motorway exit.
At least things seem to be getting better, I'm looking forward to the next rear braking whilst little regen update. I think that will help keep the rear discs cleaner.

Reactions: init6
Same.

Hopefully sorts out the dashcam reliability that I'd had no issue with until 2022.12.3.2.

Also had (I think) an issue today after pre-cooling the car after the work the cabin temperature was still pretty warm and the fans whilst in auto didn't really seem bothered to push out much cold air. Did a reboot once I got home and was going to check it tomorrow.

Reactions: doats1