Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.16.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All articles I have seen point to this being related to European Legislation, hence it's only affecting cars with EAP/FSD in Europe. Also, my car collection is delayed due to Tesla unable to release my (and other's cars) until this is resolved. Tesla themselves stated to me it is European Legislation.

If you've seen something stating this is broader than Europe, please share.
We aren't in the EU anymore, you may have noticed this in the news recently. For countries that are part of the EU is it an EU regulation. In the UK it is a UK regulation.

Vehicle regulations are made by the UN/ECE, which we joined in 1947, it was set up after the war to help Europe rebuild. One of the ways it did that was to establish a common set of vehicle regulations so manufacturers would no longer have to deal with getting vehicles independently approved in multiple countries and to varying regulations.

The EU adopted UN/ECE as the way to define vehicle regulations, no point in duplicating. The UK remains a direct member of UN/ECE and we contribute to forming new regulations, we were chair of the autonomous vehicles committee a couple of years ago. Our hapless government is entirely free to do as it wishes, has been since 2020, but chooses to make UN/ECE vehicle regulations a UK law.

Also, this issue isn't due to a new regulation, it's an interpretation of the existing regulations that Tesla have not been meeting since NoA first appeared.

So you agree this isn’t EU law, this is sovereign British law.
It's complicated. After a divorce, you have contracts and subscriptions that you might be paying, but that doesn't mean those contracts and subscriptions are right for you, and you really need them. You might assume our hard-working civil servants would be at the forefront of these.

It's complicated. After a divorce, you have contracts and subscriptions that you might be paying, but that doesn't mean those contracts and subscriptions are right for you, and you really need them. You might assume our hard-working civil servants would be at the forefront of these.
We adopted UN/ECE Harmonised Vehicle Regulations into UK Law in 1963, long before we joined the EU. There simply isn't any connection between UK vehicle regulations and the EU.

I spoke to Tesla today regarding my inventory order, and as expected they are waiting for the software update before they can release my car (or any cars for that matter).
When asking how long that would be, they didn't know but it could be 'a couple of days'. teslafi still shows only 1 car updated.
Does anyone have any ideas why there could be a big lag between software release and deployment?

I spoke to Tesla today regarding my inventory order, and as expected they are waiting for the software update before they can release my car (or any cars for that matter).
When asking how long that would be, they didn't know but it could be 'a couple of days'. teslafi still shows only 1 car updated.
Does anyone have any ideas why there could be a big lag between software release and deployment?
No. I am collecting my inventory car on Monday (hopefully). This update is actually quite a big deal for Tesla. They told me last week there is a ship coming to Europe in a week or so, and the same rule applies to the new cars. Any EAP/FSD cars cannot be released to owners until they've been updated with the software.

No. I am collecting my inventory car on Monday (hopefully). This update is actually quite a big deal for Tesla. They told me last week there is a ship coming to Europe in a week or so, and the same rule applies to the new cars. Any EAP/FSD cars cannot be released to owners until they've been updated with the software.
And yet I would be happy to accept my car without EAP despite having paid for it and they can add it later when the software update is ready. Seems better for Tesla as well so they can record the car as sold rather than sitting in inventory at quarter end.

Reactions: goRt
And yet I would be happy to accept my car without EAP despite having paid for it and they can add it later when the software update is ready. Seems better for Tesla as well so they can record the car as sold rather than sitting in inventory at quarter end.
Agreed, although he implied it's a quick process. As a compliance update rather than new features, maps, etc it could be pushed over LTE. I'm not experienced with Tesla, so I expect this means little to no human intervention required. 🤞