Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.16.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can people who have received the update tell me if you have the option to turn on the new braking system. It looks like LFPs aren’t getting this :-(

D670E8D0-19A7-485E-84FB-9FB0A118C0FF.jpeg

Can people who have received the update tell me if you have the option to turn on the new braking system. It looks like LFPs aren’t getting this :-(

View attachment 814459
Don't believe everything you read on the internet! The current craze is to see who can push out information first about new releases. It could be true that LFP cars don't get it, but I'm not sure how any battery, LFP or not, can allow regen once it's full as it defies the basic laws of physics and chemistry - the energy has to go somewhere. I guess the test is, do LFP cars regen now when 100% full? I'd not heard they do, and if they don't then the logic falls down anyway, and if they do, you're not missing out on anything as the regen is consistent.

• Informative
Reactions: DrJFoster
Don't believe everything you read on the internet! The current craze is to see who can push out information first about new releases. It could be true that LFP cars don't get it, but I'm not sure how any battery, LFP or not, can allow regen once it's full as it defies the basic laws of physics and chemistry - the energy has to go somewhere. I guess the test is, do LFP cars regen now when 100% full? I'd not heard they do, and if they don't then the logic falls down anyway, and if they do, you're not missing out on anything as the regen is consistent.
Although if you've accelerated up to that speed then the battery must have room to put that energy back in.

To be entirely honest, I don't trust EAP to make sensible choices at exits anyway. I just turn it off once I'm 500m from the junction. I don't know if it's do the job correctly or not, and if it falls into the "Or not" category there is limited time to resolve that manually. As long as it can keep me in the right lane when motorways split, I'm good with that
It's mostly useless on UK roads but in mainland Europe it works like a charm. Maybe it's something to do with the UK road layouts, or the fact that drivers here are all doing different speeds and pushing up into every tiny gap.
I'll be sad when it goes.

I think you are misunderstanding. It simply means that some real braking will be fed in when doing your one pedal driving ... so the energy will be dissipated by heat in the brakes just the same as a normal car. The reason LFP cars wouldn't get the feature is that they don't need it. They don't get the significant regen variations that the rest of us get ... so no problem to sort.

I think you are misunderstanding. It simply means that some real braking will be fed in when doing your one pedal driving ... so the energy will be dissipated by heat in the brakes just the same as a normal car. The reason LFP cars wouldn't get the feature is that they don't need it. They don't get the significant regen variations that the rest of us get ... so no problem to sort.
LFPs get no regen in the cold the same as other cars. It is also lessened at higher charge percentages.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
I could understand LFP cars needing it less, I can't understand LFP cars not needing it. Why would the sofware care what the battery type is - the logic would surely be - "we need to apply x amount of degradation, the battery can take y, we therefore need to apply (x-y) braking using friction brakes".

That said, I'm not saying LFP cars will get it, I have no idea, I guess my biggest puzzle is the conjecture that its because LFP batteries can charge when already full which doesn't make sense, and the "no battery is full once driven" argument while kind of plausible surely applies with all battery types? I'm happy to accept I'm missing something in the argument. As I said, if its not on LFP cars because they can regen then its a moot point as they must already regen happily at all times, but posters seem to suggest thats not the case.

Reactions: OttoR
Didn't Tesla remove regen settings completely from later cars? On mine I can change between "Standard" and "Low" regen. Perhaps it's related to that.

Good point, they did, but I don’t think that was battery specific

The question we should be asking is why is braking option not appearing on any cars? I thought it’s mentioned in the release notes?

Another good point. Maybe it’s linked to a specific hardware item like the new hairpin motors (I’m guessing) and like the Nav on AP change it only appears if it’s applicable to your car. Or, it’s simply somebody getting ahead of themselves by saying it does. Where do these people get their information from?

1654793984084.png

Release notes on tracking website does say “only for specific hardware”. What actual hardware would be needed to have this engage? My YLR is 4 month old, why it doesn’t have “the specific hardware”