Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.16.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. I didn't realise these were beta versions, so I thought I was missing out.

I was being a wee bit facetious, but not too much. Tesla have always done this. They collect enormous amounts of data from the cars and model it against different releases. What usually happens after a few months is there will be one big update that nearly everyone ends up on. There's very little rhyme or reason as to what release you'll be on in the interim. We've all just learned to go with the flow. It can be a touch frustrating if there's a good new feature that people get earlier, but we are normally talking a matter of weeks for updates to unify.

Reactions: init6
I was being a wee bit facetious, but not too much. Tesla have always done this. They collect enormous amounts of data from the cars and model it against different releases. What usually happens after a few months is there will be one big update that nearly everyone ends up on. There's very little rhyme or reason as to what release you'll be on in the interim. We've all just learned to go with the flow. It can be a touch frustrating if there's a good new feature that people get earlier, but we are normally talking a matter of weeks for updates to unify.
Tesla have had enough time from me to know the stop start traffic behaviour of 22.12.3.16 is terrible.

Honestly? Probably no danger. The car has been out since 2018 and been left outside in much hotter places (e.g. America) by owners. You’d like to think that a systemic flaw would have been discovered by now, and it would have been reported all over the place.

That being said, earlier S/X had problems with the glue in their screens melting, etc.

Personally, I have it on because it uses a negligible amount of HV battery a day (~1-2%) and I’d rather all the materials inside the car were kept at a sensible temperature to prevent premature ageing (again, could be in my head)

Reactions: Nick77
Cheers. After a search and some reading it seems its purely for pets/kids inside the car. Plus it automatically turns off after 12 hours any way until you open/close the doors again.

There was rumours of the screens in model 3 being not up to very hot temps but I haven't seen anyone saying their screen has been damaged.

I also read a link someone posted about Ford testing vehicles in purpose built hot rooms, and they found that interior components and materials didn't get damaged until 224 Fahrenheit, which is about 110°C.

Battery is cooled independently of the cabin so it makes no difference to that either.

It just triggered. Work that one out. 🤷‍♂️

I did vent the windows. I wonder if this counts as opening the door.
Cabin overheat protection will generally kick in whenever the car happens to be awake and notices that the interior temperature is above 40ºC, so in your case by using the app to vent the windows you woke the car, and it kicked in. However, once it has cooled to 40ºC the car will go back to sleep, and won't automatically wake to trigger further cooling (unless the car has been 'driven' in the last 12 hours).

The key thing is that it's only during the 12 hours after a drive that the car will actually wake itself up to trigger cabin cooling. After 12 hours, cabin cooling will (usually) still trigger if the car happens to be awake for some other reason, though. (Just opening the app is enough to wake the car, of course.)

Sorry but that’s inaccurate.

The car will wake itself up to cool down if it detects that it is over 40C inside, and will stay awake long enough to get the temperature down a bit, even if that means hours.

It does not try hard to get it down to a set temperature, that is to say it’s not like turning on climate manually. It just tries to get it below 40C long enough that it thinks it can go back to sleep.

It will keep waking itself up as necessary to repeat this process, in that 12 hour period. Driving the car, or doing certain things (opening a door, perhaps venting as mentioned above) resets (or starts) this timer.

I’ve done a lot of testing with this. When I know it’s going to be hot I open a car door (my car lives outside) in the morning, then close it again. I then go off and do my work. The car goes back to sleep then, and at some point in the afternoon, when it is no longer in the shade and has warmed up enough inside, it will spontaneously wake up and start cooling itself down. Because of the layout of my house and current weather this tends to mean it’s awake with COP active from about 3pm till 7pm ish, but I have seen it sleep and wake a few times in between, if there is enough cloud cover on a given day.

Reactions: Roy B
Yes, during the 12 hour period it will wake itself up to cool, as necessary. What I'm saying is that, after the 12 hour timer has expired it will still usually cool if you wake it with the app - but in that case it doesn't reset the 12 hour timer, so you only get the cooling once - without any further wakeups.

I realise I wasn't entirely clear though. So, to restate:

During the 12 hours after a 'drive', the car will attempt to keep the temperature below 40ºC. This is documented behaviour, and I think we can all agree on this.

After the 12 hours has expired, the car will still (generally) attempt to cool the car to 40ºC if it happens to be awake for some reason (e.g. you woke it with the app). This is undocumented behaviour, though, so YMMV - behaviour could depend on hardware configuration, software version, phase of the moon - and could change in future. This undocumented behaviour only happens if the car is awake - and once it goes back to sleep, it won't wake itself up again just to cool the cabin (waking the car with the app does not seem to restart the 12 hour timer).

Last edited:
Reactions: Durzel
Cheers. After a search and some reading it seems its purely for pets/kids inside the car.
I'll not be asking you to mind my dog then!

(Kids, maybe?)

I think the alarm and movement sensor remain active so it won't be for the benefit of occupants. I'm sure its just to keep the temperature within sensible limits so that when you return you're not fried alive and perhaps mindful of the yellow screens on the older MS's?