Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's well documented that a vehicle using Vision cannot have the distance set to 1. It is an admission from Tesla that it isn't as good as their radar system at short distances/reaction time.

I’d quite like there to be flexibility in what the distance is based on speed. I still have 1 available and in congestion the gap is huge so I often end up turning it off in case someone jumps into the space. Below 10-20mph when the vehicle in front is stopped it should be able to pull in tighter (use the ultrasonic as backup)

I’d quite like there to be flexibility in what the distance is based on speed. I still have 1 available and in congestion the gap is huge so I often end up turning it off in case someone jumps into the space. Below 10-20mph when the vehicle in front is stopped it should be able to pull in tighter (use the ultrasonic as backup)
I am the other extreme, generally have the gap set to 7, but it definitely is speed related, at low speeds it's not leaving 7 car lengths. I don't like the sound of getting within a meter of the car in front using ultrasonics, there must be some very short vehicles around where you live.

Reactions: goRt
I am the other extreme, generally have the gap set to 7, but it definitely is speed related, at low speeds it's not leaving 7 car lengths. I don't like the sound of getting within a meter of the car in front using ultrasonics, there must be some very short vehicles around where you live.

in stop/go traffice - often eg on the A40, it’ll stop with a full cars gap in front of me. Never mind being able to see the tyres of the car in front, there is plenty of road in front of it too. 1 is too close for me when on the move so I just think it’d be smart enough to know when the traffic is stopped that the gap doesn’t really qualify anymore and it close close up?

Car was at 79% when I parked yesterday afternoon & on checking this morning it’s still 79%. However this required turning the phone app off which I’d never done previously.
Since getting to 24.8 I'm definitely seeing that the car is waking itself during the day for some reason, it's not me opening the app. It's lost 3% since Saturday night.

1663057026256.png

in stop/go traffice - often eg on the A40, it’ll stop with a full cars gap in front of me. Never mind being able to see the tyres of the car in front, there is plenty of road in front of it too. 1 is too close for me when on the move so I just think it’d be smart enough to know when the traffic is stopped that the gap doesn’t really qualify anymore and it close close up?
That's odd, with my car set to 7 it certainly doesn't leave 7 car lengths, it stops a sensible distance from the car in front. Yes maybe when pulling off it allows a bigger gap to form and people might sneak in.

I guess they wouldn't have put the control on the thumbwheel if you might not need to change it while driving.

So over the weekend I did a pretty long trip on 24.6 and as with a lot of tesla updates, it’s two steps forward and one step back.

I did, A12, M25, M20 and then down the A16/E20 to Belgium.

The positives:
The day time performance on autopilot was noticeably better, it was more confident and didn’t do anything stupid at all.

The negatives:
Night time performance was worse, not that much worse but it was worse. It was far less confident than during the day and you could feel the car correcting its position more in the lane. It panicked passing a couple of lorries in lay-bys, one the back was only just in the lay-by and the other in fairness was slightly protruding into the live lane but not enough that you could ever bat an eyelid over normally, both were at night.

The needs further evaluation:
The roads were pretty busy so the auto high beam was behaving for the most part but when you are driving in flowing but busy roads, you were never really out of sight of another car. I’m sure it’s pretty dire on quiet roads as I know it doesn’t dip fast enough.

Never had a problem with:
Auto wipers, mine have always worked, I’ve never really had a problem with them so I don’t really recognise the seriousness issues people seem to have with them. Could they be better? At recognising fine mist, sure but I don’t get furious dry wiping issues some people seem to report.

I’m not sure why you’d want a follow distance of 1, personally I prefer my car not to be peppered with stones constantly and I assume everyone else on the road is an utter moron so I’m up at 7 unless it’s very slow moving and I’ll knock it down to 4.

Call it what you want but more space = better and it allows you to comfortably avoid anything the road (or it’s users) decides to throw at you.

Mine closes the gap in slow moving or stop and go traffic, at lights etc. so not sure why you're getting this. Although - a "full cars gap" probably isn't a bad thing at all in lots of situations.... it could mean the difference between getting rear ended or not in phantom queues for example.

Only thing I can think is trying a hard reset. Failing that it could be a minor difference in hardware versions or software branch.

I'm the same as others above who don't like following close anyway. Mine is left on 6 always, and it just highlights how poor people's driving / perception of spacing is. Pet peeve is people who overtake and seem to try and kiss the front bumper of the car they're overtaking with their rear offside tyre as they move over. :mad:

Reactions: Yachtsman
As per the highway code, a minimum of 2 seconds or 3 car lengths must be provided even at 20mph. I personally hate traffic where people constantly tailgate giving very little thinking time to brake and risk a rear end collision.
Screenshot_2022-09-13-09-53-48-883_com.android.chrome.jpg

Ha! If the snow is bad enough to block the radar the last thing I will be doing is driving on Autopilot!
The Tesla may be different, but you didn't need a lot of snow to block the radar in my previous car. IIRC it collected above (or maybe below) the number plate and that was enough to stop radar and a whole lot more working. Windscreens can be wiped, but not a lot you can do on the motorway when the snow builds up over the radar.

The Tesla may be different, but you didn't need a lot of snow to block the radar in my previous car. IIRC it collected above (or maybe below) the number plate and that was enough to stop radar and a whole lot more working. Windscreens can be wiped, but not a lot you can do on the motorway when the snow builds up over the radar.

I'm sure you're right. I must say, I've driven through 3 winters with the M3 and never even tried Autopilot in snow. I reckon a human with a few decades of winter driving experience is the best bet! (Even ABS brakes can be a pain in the snow and less effective than when under the direct control of a capable human driver.)

I'm sure you're right. I must say, I've driven through 3 winters with the M3 and never even tried Autopilot in snow. I reckon a human with a few decades of winter driving experience is the best bet! (Even ABS brakes can be a pain in the snow and less effective than when under the direct control of a capable human driver.)
Absolutely. I'm sure it's been discussed before that there is too much reliance on technology and not enough on driving skills.
And for those that read the manual...

Many factors can impact the performance of Autopilot components, causing them to be unable to function as intended. These include (but are not limited to):

• Poor visibility (due to heavy rain, snow, fog, etc.).

Reactions: Adopado
The radar elements are heated so you shouldn’t be getting a build up of snow on them
I'm not sure that's true. There were a load of articles that Model Y got a heated radar (the 3 and previous certainly don't) but that was based on someone looking at a wiring diagram. Tests I've seen haven't shown there isn't any detectable heat.

I'm pretty sure the follow distance is *not* measured in car lengths. I believe it's a measurement of time, in units of half a second - although clearly at very low speeds there's also a minimum distance the car is willing to be from the car in front, which is certainly longer than a human driver would leave.

I have it set to 6 and I'm pretty sure that gives me a three second gap on the motorway

its not even 20mph its stop/go traffic. Its longer than I'd leave which is fine - but it also feels longer than others would, and feels like I should pull further forward to avoid people pushing in. I'm already not leaving it in AP -just TACC because its too central so motorbikes can't get safely past - would also like a low speed option to adjust my position in lane

Reactions: ajp558
I'm pretty sure the follow distance is *not* measured in car lengths. I believe it's a measurement of time, in units of half a second - although clearly at very low speeds there's also a minimum distance the car is willing to be from the car in front, which is certainly longer than a human driver would leave.

I have it set to 6 and I'm pretty sure that gives me a three second gap on the motorway
That's correct:
Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is designed to slow down Model 3 as needed to maintain a selected time-based distance from the vehicle in front, up to the set speed.

its not even 20mph its stop/go traffic. Its longer than I'd leave which is fine - but it also feels longer than others would, and feels like I should pull further forward to avoid people pushing in. I'm already not leaving it in AP -just TACC because its too central so motorbikes can't get safely past - would also like a low speed option to adjust my position in lane
My golf from 2016 used to have the option to let you train it on where you preferred to position in lane

Reactions: Mrklaw
Ok…the high beam business is nuts.

The car has regularly (more often than not) today been turning the headlights on (in broad day light) and then engaging autopilot (ie auto steer) turns on the auto high beam function (contrary to what I said before, this happens in all conditions - not just in the dark).

But, maddest of all, the car has been frequently turning on high beam in broad day light today (like bright sun, middle of the day - the complete opposite of when high beam is needed).

It’s complete sh1t.
36B42DA8-EF82-4BF9-8640-DDBBCF3F3807.jpeg

Auto high beam deciding high beams were necessary at 12:48pm in *perfect* day time conditions 🤪

(Tried to post this earlier but signal wasn’t strong enough)

• Informative
Reactions: CWT3LR and OttoR