Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep - I quickly realised that auto HB is actively dangerous - mostly because it doesn’t even allow you to properly override in the moment and manually turn on persistent HB. You can only override by continuously pulling the stalk - which of course you can’t always do safely when steering!!
Don't worry, that problem will disappear when they do away with stalks.

• Funny
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
OK. Did my test run on AP with auto high beam
The outrun was on my pitch dark rural B road test track. About 7 cars came my way and to Tesla’s credit, it dipped the lights perfectly every time including one approaching round a sharp bend. Then it went downhill… it dipped the lights for a parked lorry in a lay-by on the other side of the road with rear lights facing me, but then put them on full as I got closer and dipped them after I passed it ??
coming back dipped for road signs and particularly bend chevron signs.
then I drove into town. Dipped when I got under streetlights and then decided to put full beam on and off and on…
Returning home, put them on under streetlights and off and left them on with a car coming.
Clearly work better in the dark but woefully indecisive on lit roads. Bend chevrons and road signs totally unacceptable.
At least pushing the stalk forward turns auto off.
Will raise a service request

The outrun was on my pitch dark rural B road test track. About 7 cars came my way and to Tesla’s credit, it dipped the lights perfectly every time including one approaching round a sharp bend. Then it went downhill… it dipped the lights for a parked lorry in a lay-by on the other side of the road with rear lights facing me, but then put them on full as I got closer and dipped them after I passed it ??
then I drove into town. Dipped when I got under streetlights and then decided to put full beam on and off and on…
Returning home, put them on under streetlights and off and left them on with a car coming.
Clearly work better in the dark but woefully indecisive on lit roads. Bend chevrons and road signs totally unacceptable.
Can you please test the latest behaviour if auto HB is on, and HB is lit, then turns off unnecessarily with chevrons for a sharp corner - how can you then quickly turn the HBs back on?

When you say AP, do you mean Autosteer or just TACC? Sounds like some of those roads are not suitable for Autosteer or TACC.

Reactions: Tigermad
Small mercies..

Incidentally what would you be raising a service request to do?
Tricky one. I’ve been mulling this over. I think the best approach is that Auto high beam is not fit for purpose and should not be hardwired to AP
When first released AHB didn’t work properly. after several goes I never used it again until now when it was forced on me. If it has improved in any way, which I doubt, I has no consistent behaviour on lit roads and on unlit roads appears consistent with most oncoming traffic but is badly misled by reflective road signs and off road parked vehicles. I haven’t had the opportunity to test coming up behind another vehicle yet.
To be completely fair, I need to run it down the A47 D/C and see what happens. In the 20.x updates, quite a lot of oncoming vehicles were missing in the visualisation. I want to see if this has been rectified and therefore how AHB behaves in situations that AP is designed for.
I think there is some difference. It saw my wife’s car parked beside the house tonight. Never shown it before
I don’t expect much joy but if enough U.K. owners kick up a fuss, we might get somewhere.
….and one more thing; summon seems more cr@p with vision. Used to be able reverse the car out of the garage with it. it just poops itself now!

According to the manual this only impacts cars built after April 2022, so a lot of us 'legacy' users shouldn't have an issue. It appears only to impact Autosteer, so TACC should be ok:
The manual is almost certainly out of date. The point is that, until yesterday, cars built after April 2022 were the only ones (in the UK) running Tesla Vision. Very soon, it will be all cars, by the sound of it.

Reactions: Durzel
Tricky one. I’ve been mulling this over. I think the best approach is that Auto high beam is not fit for purpose and should not be hardwired to AP
When first released AHB didn’t work properly. after several goes I never used it again until now when it was forced on me. If it has improved in any way, which I doubt, I has no consistent behaviour on lit roads and on unlit roads appears consistent with most oncoming traffic but is badly misled by reflective road signs and off road parked vehicles. I haven’t had the opportunity to test coming up behind another vehicle yet.
To be completely fair, I need to run it down the A47 D/C and see what happens. In the 20.x updates, quite a lot of oncoming vehicles were missing in the visualisation. I want to see if this has been rectified and therefore how AHB behaves in situations that AP is designed for.
I think there is some difference. It saw my wife’s car parked beside the house tonight. Never shown it before
I don’t expect much joy but if enough U.K. owners kick up a fuss, we might get somewhere.
….and one more thing; summon seems more cr@p with vision. Used to be able reverse the car out of the garage with it. it just poops itself now!
I have 24.6 downloaded to my car, but not installed.

I’ve opened a service request to try and get 24.5 instead, for much the same reasons as you have listed. I consider it a downgrade in its current state. If I can have a few more weeks of the AP I’m used to then all the better.

I’m not optimistic they’ll accept my request though.

During the daytime, the auto steer is now top-notch for all roads. With bad light, auto high beam is a letdown, and the logic is unpredictable. I still cannot guess when and where the high beam would fire, making autosteer and overall driving unpleasant in-town and narrow country roads. I seriously believe this is just a bug that would get fixed in the next update since I have some long trips coming and I am becoming too comfortable driving entirely at night.

Lol. Auto high beam has been this bad for years. I wouldn’t hold out much hope that it gets suddenly fixed. They probably don’t even appreciate that’s it’s really bad - otherwise why would they force it on millions of owners.

I never really was too bothered, provided it stayed off when switched off.

It’s the fact I’ll now have to push the left stalk forward after every single autopilot activation that completely takes the P.

(Or not install the update)

Reactions: Durzel
This morning was my turn for the community paper round. I drove how I normally would. Short distance on AP in the 30 limit.
there aren’t usually any cars parked along my route. Today there was a car parked on the grass verge with its offside wheels in the kerb.
That situation would normally cause panic even just on TACC. Car just sailed past without a second thought. I hope TACC reacts to parked cars that well.
Tesla Vision is not all roses though... I put the car in my single garage and according to the visualisation, there was an articulated lorry on my left. I must tidy the garage 😂

Oh and even though lights weren’t on, auto high beam displayed as active when on AP. Single push forward on the LH stalk turned them off.

I’m quickly forming the opinion that I will not install this update, will monitor to see if the experiences of those that do improve over the winter (eg with major software improvements to auto high beam and wipers), and then, if not, will sell the car in spring.

Dunno if it'll help, but yesterday I switched software updates from "Advanced" to "Standard". I'm on 2022.20.8 and I'm not sure I want any of this new stuff yet.

I'm supposed to be moving house soon, and will have to decommission the network infrastructure to the garage at some point. I might bring that forward so as to take the car off line for updates. Obviously some updates are delivered via the car's cellular modem, but I believe these are only the safety critical ones.