Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But why does no one else have the phantom braking issue to the extent Tesla does?

It looks like Tesla Vision also has phantom braking problems. Maybe it’s not the radar that’s the problem

As per last year's AI day - Tesla never bothered with the software stack on the radar and there's no point no w as we're all getting vision based cruise within weeks - and here we are

But why does no one else have the phantom braking issue to the extent Tesla does?

It looks like Tesla Vision also has phantom braking problems. Maybe it’s not the radar that’s the problem

My i3 with just a MobilEye camera adaptive cruise control is the king of phantom braking. Shadows; bridges; sun; rain; lorries...you are guaranteed one every trip! I drive the i3 covering the accelerator.
For the M3 I have only seen a couple in three years. Admittedly before Tesla vision as I've yet to get 24.6 ;)

Tesla vision has some interesting capabilities..
It’s turned my single garage into a Tardis 😂
6258C433-E320-4D86-AAD8-D73F29ECC121.jpeg
0DB1585E-24D5-4AD8-B54B-2EAC50E10325.jpeg

With regard to the Teslavision stuff…

I presume the reason why we will never enjoy the benefits of proper Matrix headlights is that Tesla will always design everything around the fixed vision of the cameras?

At least lightshow gave the kids 2 mins of entertainment.

With regard to the Teslavision stuff…

I presume the reason why we will never enjoy the benefits of proper Matrix headlights is that Tesla will always design everything around the fixed vision of the cameras?

At least lightshow gave the kids 2 mins of entertainment.
Other manufacturers use cameras to make their matrix headlights active

Whatever the issue is with that car it's simply not what other people experience with Vision only cars, other than these issues with auto-dips and auto-wipers it drives exactly the same as the radar-based version. I had a radar abased car for 2.5 years, used AP and Lane changes daily, my new Tesla Vision car drives the same.

Given that most common phantom brake issues seem to be shadows under bridges and curtain side lorries neither of which have a radar image i cant see ditching radar being the solution im afraid.

Reactions: Kenners
I wonder what happens in terms of liability in the event of an accident using vision. If you bought the car with radar, Tesla turned it off for their own convenience and it could have prevented a collision I would have thought they are exposed. Beta doesn’t absolve a company from liability.

When they disconnect the brakes because they are testing a new regen feature maybe we will find out.

• Disagree
Reactions: MrMoonUK
My i3 with just a MobilEye camera adaptive cruise control is the king of phantom braking. Shadows; bridges; sun; rain; lorries...you are guaranteed one every trip! I drive the i3 covering the accelerator.
For the M3 I have only seen a couple in three years. Admittedly before Tesla vision as I've yet to get 24.6 ;)
Our i3 (2017/2018) had phantom braking time to time. System was still pretty useable though for a single camera system but you did need to cover accelerator in certain conditions. Low sun reflecting off a shiny chrome coloured van was one example. Also have had far fewer instances in our Y.

Yeah i3 was easy to manage - quickly became obvious which conditions it would struggle in and just covered the accelerator to catch the regen. An i3 without ACC would have been a pain on long journeys I think - constantly having to balance your right foot.

I do remember having to manually crank up windscreen heating to help clear condensation from the camera housing though..

The one that says you're going to hit something.
Which one is that? Air France Flight 447 shows that faith in one sensor over another is not always rewarded

Given that most common phantom brake issues seem to be shadows under bridges
The radar has poor vertical resolution and often detects bridges as stationary objects in the road. Andrej Karpathy's presentation went through the limitations of radar. I'll dig out the video if you want to see it again.
and curtain side lorries neither of which have a radar image raid.
Stealth lorry? :)

Reactions: MP3Mike
And then you get the constant phantom braking that everyone screams bloody murder about. That is not a workable solution.

Safety dependent systems normally use a comparator monitoring at least 3 systems that should be returning compatible results. If one falls out of sync then you know what other feeds to believe.

HW3 already ran out of its redundancy capabilities long ago and is seemingly struggling to keep up so have even less confidence that system has spare capacity to use multiple sensor feeds for additional redundancy/comparison purposes.

Tesla turned it off for their own convenience and it could have prevented a collision I would have thought they are exposed.
I think your first problem would be proving that having radar active would have prevented the collision. (Radar didn't prevent running broadside into a semi, or ramming in to the back of fire trucks or other vehicles parked on the side of the road.)

Should have a chance to use a dual carriageway tomorrow. I’ll report back.
For anyone who has had this update and has EAP; is there any changes with lane changes? Is it any faster changing lanes and does it start to speed up as you start to change lanes?
@Zilla91 I tested lane change On the dual carriageway. I’ve had mine set on mad max for ages and it’s always been sluggish.
Vision only has made a big difference. I came up behind a car doing 55, indicated the change, the car pulled out quite swiftly but safely and instantly floored it to 70 😁

Reactions: init6