Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yo dawg I heard you liked Radar so we’re bringing it back..

How many more updates before we get transitioned back to “Tesla Radar”?
Let me don my tinfoil hat for a minute…

Imagine the FSD / Vision team discovered a major road block. But they’re committed in every meaning of the word. Karpathy gets the golden boot and gets to save face… keep investors happy by keeping it quiet, slowly transition back to a hybrid sensor package approach and keep it under the radar… announce “Autopilot V2! Much better in every way!”

Reactions: WllXM and CWT3LR
First drive since tesla vision in the dark.. I wasn't using AP since around town but the difference in the visualisation was shocking - it hardly picked anything up, because dark. Driving through streets with parked cars on both sides.. nothing showed up. More worryingly, when someone stopped to let me through a particularly narrow part I was (from the cars point of view) heading down the middle of the road straight towards stationary traffic.. and it only showed the car *after* I'd manoeuvred around it. And that was brightly lit, so not even an excuse of dark.. Tesla just couldn't see it.

Parking in a car park was almost funny. It couldn't see *any* of the parked cars in the car park - it thought I was driving around a big empty spece - if I'd been using autopark it'd likely have driven straight into the nearest car.

Prior to this the visualisation a night was pretty reasonable, you could tell the car was seeing things (and beeping about them occasionally). If vision AP is this crippled I really won't be risking it at night.. I have no confidence it wouldn't just drive into the back of something.

Let me don my tinfoil hat for a minute…

Imagine the FSD / Vision team discovered a major road block. But they’re committed in every meaning of the word. Karpathy gets the golden boot and gets to save face… keep investors happy by keeping it quiet, slowly transition back to a hybrid sensor package approach and keep it under the radar… announce “Autopilot V2! Much better in every way!”
Well, hopefully if it is confirmed, I would expect it to come as a free upgrade if you have purchased EAP/FSD...

Well, hopefully if it is confirmed, I would expect it to come as a free upgrade if you have purchased EAP/FSD...
As discussed in that twitter thread, it would require a computer upgrade, and probably a new wiring harness, in order to retrofit the new radar. I'm not too hopeful we're going to get it offered as an upgrade, whether free or paid.

As discussed in that twitter thread, it would require a computer upgrade, and probably a new wiring harness, in order to retrofit the new radar. I'm not too hopeful we're going to get it offered as an upgrade, whether free or paid.
Well, if I bought a full self driving option that cannot work because they haven’t shipped my car with the appropriate hardware, I’m pretty sure that means I’ve been sold a faulty / not fit for purpose product and consumer law applies.
I can see a class action coming…

Reactions: goRt
For the first time since early this year I had the autopilot computer become unavailable on 2022.24.6. TACC disengaged itself while I was driving with the message "cruise control unavailable" and the autopilot computer was unavailable for the rest of the drive - no TACC/autosteer, no speed limit display, visualisations not showing other cars/road features, autowipers unavailable, and I presume (didn't test) auto main beam also unavailable. Was fine on the next drive. Hope this doesn't start happening regularly....

Last edited:
First drive since tesla vision in the dark.. I wasn't using AP since around town but the difference in the visualisation was shocking - it hardly picked anything up, because dark. Driving through streets with parked cars on both sides.. nothing showed up. More worryingly, when someone stopped to let me through a particularly narrow part I was (from the cars point of view) heading down the middle of the road straight towards stationary traffic.. and it only showed the car *after* I'd manoeuvred around it. And that was brightly lit, so not even an excuse of dark.. Tesla just couldn't see it.

Parking in a car park was almost funny. It couldn't see *any* of the parked cars in the car park - it thought I was driving around a big empty spece - if I'd been using autopark it'd likely have driven straight into the nearest car.

Prior to this the visualisation a night was pretty reasonable, you could tell the car was seeing things (and beeping about them occasionally). If vision AP is this crippled I really won't be risking it at night.. I have no confidence it wouldn't just drive into the back of something.
I would suggest that the visualisation isn't really something to use to determine if it has seen parked cars. In general the visualisation with Tesla vision doesn't show everything the previous version did, but that's clearly nothing to do with not using Radar more a factor of how the software is configured at this stage. Use it on a motorway where it's intended to work.

I would suggest that the visualisation isn't really something to use to determine if it has seen parked cars. In general the visualisation with Tesla vision doesn't show everything the previous version did, but that's clearly nothing to do with not using Radar more a factor of how the software is configured at this stage. Use it on a motorway where it's intended to work.
What we need to remember is the visuals on the FSD beta videos on youtube are different to the visuals on the rest of the cars not running the beta.

Important to note: what it sees and what it displays are different things.