Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.28.X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the AHB moan.. 26.x seemed to improve things, but yesterday on 28.2 driving on unlit motorway with autopilot on just left high beams on the whole time despite multiple cars coming in other direction. Seems to really struggle with the central reservation and seeing cars over it. Was ok with cars in the same side through

Am I wrong /alone for ignoring 24.x and 28.x. First time that I’ve ever held off. Keeping my radar for now and waiting for Tesla to sort AHB. If the latest posts are my barometer it might be a while before I update…
Not really.. it's definitely different. What made me ultimately give up is that you basically are deciding to never upgrade again, or you have to try and make the best of it and hope that enough people will moan about it to get auto high beams and auto wipers improved.

Am I wrong /alone for ignoring 24.x and 28.x. First time that I’ve ever held off. Keeping my radar for now and waiting for Tesla to sort AHB. If the latest posts are my barometer it might be a while before I update…
Just bear in mind the caveat from the manual:
You must install a software update as soon it becomes available. Any harm resulting from failure to install a software update is not covered by the vehicle’s warranty. Failure or refusal to install updates can cause some vehicle features to become inaccessible, digital media devices to become incompatible.

• Informative
Reactions: melduk and NewbieT
You must install a software update as soon it becomes available. Any harm resulting from failure to install a software update is not covered by the vehicle’s warranty. Failure or refusal to install updates can cause some vehicle features to become inaccessible, digital media devices to become incompatible.
Basically, if the onboard Neuralink™️ interface detects that failure to install an update was due to a deliberate decision on your part, the car reserves the right to retaliate by any means necessary, up to and including deploying the onboard nukes. 😀

• Funny
Reactions: melduk and Durzel
Back on alternate routes, I can only get it when connected to wifi (or presumably PC). It kind of makes sense for WiFi to be an unofficial route as PC is stated as a requirement, just like spotify worked for years on a hotspot. Anybody seen anything different?

I had the pleasure of testing AHB again tonight, at about 19:45, so around dusk.

Some highlights:
  • Coming on while I was going around a small roundabout, before going off as I exited.
  • Coming on and staying on for long periods in fully street lit areas
  • Turning off far too late at oncoming cars headlights (that we know already)
I should add that I drove beforehand with it on for a shorter distance, at around 18:15, when it wasn’t remotely dark, and it would come on if I went under some foliage that had cast a reasonable sized shadow across the road. 😑

It’s really quite bizarre. It comes on in situations where I’d never put high beam on, like when it’s not even dark or in town with street lights everywhere, yet when it does come on beforehand it doesn’t seem to switch off in the presence of more than enough ambient lighting to see where you’re going without even having regular headlights on, much less full beam.

In the end I had to abandon my plan to do the whole drive home (~20 miles) with AHB on, because it was pretty much hopeless. I got flashed twice for it not reacting quickly enough. The only time I wasn’t completely self conscious of it was when I had a car right in front, as that was the only thing I could guarantee would prevent it coming on. But even with that I still lived in fear of the moment the car in front turned off somewhere.

We’ve known that AHB is crap since the M3 reached these shores more than three years ago. It is remarkable that Tesla can take something that is already completely dysfunctional and release a software update that makes it even worse.
Giving credit where it’s due Tesla have managed to improve the auto wipers somewhat over the last three years, though they’re still pretty poor, but AHB hasn’t improved at all. Now they release a software update that makes AHB even worse. Only from Tesla.

Reactions: Pants and Durzel
We’ve known that AHB is crap since the M3 reached these shores more than three years ago. It is remarkable that Tesla can take something that is already completely dysfunctional and release a software update that makes it even worse.
Not for the first time Tesla are going to have to release a software update to fix the last update. The people who check these updates before release must be a bunch of intellectualy challenged 12 year olds on work experience.

Reactions: Hurricane