Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.28.X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being pedantic it's not so much that AHB has gotten worse - I don't think its performance has changed in 2.5 years - it's the fact that it is now switched on every time you turn on AP which is the problem.

You're forced to have it on, or at least forced to remember to turn it off every time you activate AP, as it will stay activated even when you are no longer using AP.

Naively it seems more logical to me that it would use an array of IR lights around the camera, and perhaps some sort of integrated wiper for the camera area (rather than the whole windscreen). The CCTV cameras I have at home have decent vision on IR light.

Reactions: Doudeau and init6
Did a 250 mile round trip last night (6-10pm) on motorway and country roads in the rain and fog, no issues with base autopilot, wipers or ahb - both behaved as I would expect, didn't have to wipe screen manually once, high beams came on in the country lanes where I'd expect them to and went off with approaching traffic. (and no phantom breaking). Apologies for the positive 2022.28.1 post.

Did a 250 mile round trip last night (6-10pm) on motorway and country roads in the rain and fog, no issues with base autopilot, wipers or ahb - both behaved as I would expect, didn't have to wipe screen manually once, high beams came on in the country lanes where I'd expect them to and went off with approaching traffic. (and no phantom breaking). Apologies for the positive 2022.28.1 post.
The poor behaviour of lights and wipers isn’t consistent. I don’t have a problem with wipers. Never have had. AHB is dreadful for me. Some of that is, I’m sure, down to where I live. The local SC agree that location appears to have a bearing on detection issues for both.
It could also be minor hardware differences. Even software updates affect cars differently.
No apology needed. We’re all in the same sea, just not the same boat :oops:

Interesting. Did you find that on country roads things like chevron signs caused the lights to dip, and in towns did you find that the lights remained on high beam even when there was plenty of ambient light?

Interesting. Did you find that on country roads things like chevron signs caused the lights to dip, and in towns did you find that the lights remained on high beam even when there was plenty of ambient light?
The country roads where completely unlit and can't recall if I saw chevron signs, they remained on until another car approached. Though it was only for about 10 miles each way. Never noticed any high beam in towns. I'm doing the journey again tonight, so will pay more attention!

Just as a bit of light relief, I've been on 28.1 since last weekend and phantom braking today was a nightmare! Worst I've ever had... I only ever use TACC (don't trust AP) and only use TACC on motorways and dual carriageways. I was getting braking due to car's in lay-bys on sweeping right hand bends, then braking when overtaking cars (never had that before - usually lorries), then braking for a bridge quarter of a mile ahead, then braking for no apparent reason but there was a lot of dappled sunlight on the road. At one point I was kangarooing down the road! Am I alone in this? Is it due to radar being turned off? I'm in an M3 SR+ 2020 version

Just as a bit of light relief, I've been on 28.1 since last weekend and phantom braking today was a nightmare! Worst I've ever had... I only ever use TACC (don't trust AP) and only use TACC on motorways and dual carriageways. I was getting braking due to car's in lay-bys on sweeping right hand bends, then braking when overtaking cars (never had that before - usually lorries), then braking for a bridge quarter of a mile ahead, then braking for no apparent reason but there was a lot of dappled sunlight on the road. At one point I was kangarooing down the road! Am I alone in this? Is it due to radar being turned off? I'm in an M3 SR+ 2020 version
Usually when it happens due to low sun, I had that last week, there is a warning message in the like of "AP reduced speed due to front camera visibility" or something similar

I had to pick someone up from the Norwich A&E dept late last night. Most of the journey was dual carriageway so I used AP.
AHB was all over the place of course.
more worryingly, I was following a lorry and always leave my follow distance on 5. Last night it was getting really close (3 car lengths!) so I backed off to 7 and it was still too close for my liking. Seems fine in the daytime.
has anyone else found this?

Reactions: DaveNN

2022.28.1 for me was great also however 2022.28.2 is now known as the strobe update the lights are on and off so much

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel and Markee68
Dundee to Berkshire and back on 28.1. 1 phantom brake and no other issues.
Dundee to Manchester and back on 28.2. Aggressively tried to take a sliproad. Multiple phantom braking. When overtaking a lorry on the inside lane then trying to move to the inside lane it thinks you are moving onto the hard shoulder and has a hissy fit. This happened on at least 3 occasions.
Also baffles me that driving in the dark causes camera blocked messages but that's not software specific.

I get it without fail weekly as my commute is on many dark unlit country roads. Doesn’t seem to affect performance on those type of roads though. It does on dual carriage ways when trying to make an AP overtake as it can’t “see” so just aborts.
As I tend to drive on the motorway late at night and have FSD, it has happened all the time in the three years I have had the car. So it's not a .28 issue ;)
Robo taxis can't drive at night; in the rain; when the sun is low...

28.2 just landed on mine.
I’ll install it. Not overly happy given the reports but 28.1 sits too close to the kerb for my liking.
I don’t do too much night driving so AHB isn’t a big concern.
As ever, it’s what else it brings…
@AnthonyLR did yours get sorted?