Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.28.X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Not a single phantom brake event, but it did twice try and take me off at an exit instead of keeping to the left hand lane....

I thought that now needed driver confirmation after a recent update? Or is that just off ramps and interchanges? Or was it that kept you in a lane that became an exit (lane drop/gain junction)?

Presumably you were on NoA (navigate on autopilot)?

For EAP/FSD : twice already I was surprised by the car suddenly aborting a lane change mid-way and suddenly swerving back to its original position. What is usually the trigger for that and how to prevent it. Was quite dangerous and caused some passenger complaints!

I thought that now needed driver confirmation after a recent update? Or is that just off ramps and interchanges? Or was it that kept you in a lane that became an exit (lane drop/gain junction)?

No, I've only got basic AP. It swerved quite suddenly to try and get into the exit slip and I had to pull the wheel fairly sharply to the right to keep it in the motorway lane. Obviously it then dropped out of AP. The car ahead had pulled off and I did wonder the the Vision thing decided that was the carriageway... I sit at distance 5 on the setting.

It only seems to demand confirmation on planned ones, it does these all on its own
Sometimes it indicates to let drivers know it's not taking a junction 🤷‍♂️

I'm also getting this on 28.2

I had my first one recently because of how hesitant the damn thing is - I pulled out to do an overtake as prompted (EAP), and then the car behind me also pulled out pretty quickly - it flashed its lights to say "Go on, I'll wait", but the car had aborted the procedure by that point and it actually righted itself back into the lane I was in.

The European regulator/UK government really need to drop these restrictions that they've put on the system. We should have what the Americans have.

Ugh. The "available when parked" theatre mode bug is back in this update. The last one got rid of it for me and now its instantly back again one update later!

Pain in the bum having to disconnect from Bluetooth every time.

For EAP/FSD : twice already I was surprised by the car suddenly aborting a lane change mid-way and suddenly swerving back to its original position. What is usually the trigger for that and how to prevent it. Was quite dangerous and caused some passenger complaints!
Personally I’ve found this to be when pulling into a lane next to a large vehicle. I now wait a few extra seconds until I’m past it and seems to be ok. Not sure why it doesn’t like it, but that’s my cure for now

Personally I’ve found this to be when pulling into a lane next to a large vehicle. I now wait a few extra seconds until I’m past it and seems to be ok. Not sure why it doesn’t like it, but that’s my cure for now
I can't believe for a second the software is this clever, but when I was doing my advanced driver training the instructor would always say if possible don't move back into a lane if there's a vehicle in the adjacent lane - in case that vehicle decides to suddenly move into the lane you're heading for. The advice is to do as you did, get past that vehicle before moving back. I think he referred to it as keeping as much fresh air between you and other vehicles as you can.

I have had that too (in Australia, so also RHD). Consensus experience here is that an "auto lane change refusal" like you describe is much more likely to happen when changing to a lane to your left than it is when changing to a lane on your right.

I have had it happen in various lighting/weather conditions, haven't been able to work out a particular factor causing it, just that it happens (for me and several others) much more when moving to a lane to the left than one to the right.

… I assume that the problem is that the car isn't as good at recognising the lane marking you get at exits - which is different from other lane markings - and thinks it is just following the road.

Without NoA, that sounds like it’s doing exactly what it is meant to be doing - following the lane.

NoA is lane and route aware, so that shoukd choose the correct lane (and prompt for driver to acknowledge the suggestion), but standard autopilot is dumb (lane keep assist) and will just follow what it thinks is the current lane - and potentially get confused when there is ambiguity ie at lane splits and merges. But if not under NoA control, it doesn’t know what lane does what, so it’s not going to use any knowledge to aid trying to resolve the ambiguity so just follow what it thinks is it’s lane at that point in time.

Without NoA, that sounds like it’s doing exactly what it is meant to be doing - following the lane.

NoA is lane and route aware, so that shoukd choose the correct lane (and prompt for driver to acknowledge the suggestion), but standard autopilot is dumb (lane keep assist) and will just follow what it thinks is the current lane - and potentially get confused when there is ambiguity ie at lane splits and merges. But if not under NoA control, it doesn’t know what lane does what, so it’s not going to use any knowledge to aid trying to resolve the ambiguity so just follow what it thinks is it’s lane at that point in time.
For me, I always use NoA, the fake turn off behaviour and indicating to stay on the motorway happen with a route planned.

Reactions: GT_M3
After a couple of long(er) drives, I've noticed the car is way better at recognising speed limit signs than it was - proper ones, temporary ones, and even overhead motorway gantry ones.

What I haven't found yet is a way to get the car to adopt those limits without intervention. I just have bog standard AP/TACC, and although I know I can push the stalk down or tap the speed sign on the display, I wish the car would help, as it's done all the work reading the signs.

After a couple of long(er) drives, I've noticed the car is way better at recognising speed limit signs than it was - proper ones, temporary ones, and even overhead motorway gantry ones.

What I haven't found yet is a way to get the car to adopt those limits without intervention. I just have bog standard AP/TACC, and although I know I can push the stalk down or tap the speed sign on the display, I wish the car would help, as it's done all the work reading the signs.
Yep.. what’s totally stupid is the speed limit changes but the TACC target speed doesn’t on some roads. It knows the speed limit is lower and does nothing about it.

Another issue with the speed limits, on motorways it sometimes changes to the overhead gantry signs for a while and then decides to go back 70.