Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.36

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thinking aloud really...

But I do wonder if the apparent pulling of releases is simply a consequence of more Tesla's on the road and their usual A/B testing processes. With more owners, and arguably less keen owners to keep with the latest and greatest, this gets spotted more.

They may have a set limit on how many cars on path A, just to reduce the risk of overwhelming service should a significant fault be introduced. But they push the update to more as they know some don't update soon enough for their test cycle.

Reactions: M1tch
With 36.2 the car will wake up every 3h for 1 h.
Anyone else?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221015-193520.jpg
    Screenshot_20221015-193520.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot_20221015-193532.jpg
    Screenshot_20221015-193532.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 41
Mine's been sleeping soundly since its charge session this morning (60% - 90% ending 03:35).
Still can go several days without waking.
I avoid looking at the Tesla App and monitor with Teslafi.

One thing I have noticed since the 36.2 update is Teslafi occasionally reporting car is offline for long periods.
I can still access it via the App.
It's weird - I don't recall it ever going "offline" before?

From the Tesla website:

“your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates”.

The last several updates have made my car noticeably worse. When it comes to FSD and AHB I can detect no improvement at all in the last three years. The auto wipers have improved somewhat but are still worse than those on a cheap 10 year old hatch.

This is supposed to be progress?

Reactions: Type2 and CWT3LR
For me over the last 4 years of Tesla ownership OTA upgrades have basically been a case of 2 steps forward and 1 step back. But overall I feel the UI is now significantly better than it was 4 years ago (note that I gave up on EAP/FSD after our first Tesla when basic AP became standard). So on that basis I just go with the flow on the updates. I've heard of people in the US refusing to upgrade from their original 2012 software for fear of change! Like a simulation of most ICE cars that never update their original UI, lol.

Reactions: Doudeau and pow216
From the Tesla website:

“your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates”.

The last several updates have made my car noticeably worse. When it comes to FSD and AHB I can detect no improvement at all in the last three years. The auto wipers have improved somewhat but are still worse than those on a cheap 10 year old hatch.

This is supposed to be progress?
The best thing that could happen to Tesla is if Musk needs to sell sufficient stock that a new CEO is appointed. I remember Stelios saying about 'Easy....' that he never liked running companies, but was good at spotting how to disrupt markets and setting up new companies.

Musk now appears to be the key blockage in making cars that can be driven. His obsession with excluding drivers from decision making and actually driving the car - years before the tech is ready - makes any Tesla a far worse drivers car than it needs to be. His hubris about autonomous driving might yet be the undoing of Tesla as they try to move toward being a mass market producer.

For me over the last 4 years of Tesla ownership OTA upgrades have basically been a case of 2 steps forward and 1 step back. But overall I feel the UI is now significantly better than it was 4 years ago (note that I gave up on EAP/FSD after our first Tesla when basic AP became standard). So on that basis I just go with the flow on the updates. I've heard of people in the US refusing to upgrade from their original 2012 software for fear of change! Like a simulation of most ICE cars that never update their original UI, lol.
I actually think the UI has got worse over the years. The update that shrunk the map on the screen was a big retrograde step.

I embrace change, but not when it makes my car significantly worse. Over the last three years updates have given me small improvements (as well as a load of complete crap) but I’m struggling to see how the day to day driving experience has improved in any meaningful way. In the important aspects my car is just the same as it was three years ago, and this makes it barely different from a 20 year old ICE car.

And true FSD is still a complete pipe dream, at least in this country.

Reactions: CWT3LR and diddy84
The UI has definitely gotten worse. Losing the card widgets in place of a wider driving graphic was a bad decision that still hasn't been rectified. I used the consumption card 100% of the time to monitor my efficiency. Having the Setting menu open (or the Energy app) is not a good replacement. The information shown there is too small and is on the other side of the screen - and blocks the map. I wish Tesla would bring those cards back.

Other things have gotten better - pre-heating the car takes a lot less time than it used to, and uses less battery. Bugs have been fixed - my first Model 3 had a problem where I'd get into the car and everything would hang for a while, the brake pedal would be like a sponge, there would be weird noises and the screen would be unresponsive for up to a minute. I think it was due to time taken to boot up after the car had gone to sleep. My current car has never done that. Being able to watch and delete Dashcam/Sentry Mode videos on the screen instead of having to take out the USB and put it into a PC is a big win. Waypoints, a much requested feature, was added this year. The Tesla mobile app is way better than it was before and is faster to load too.

I think Autopilot has gotten better. No phantom breaking for bridges, less phantom breaking overall - the only time my current car has done it during my period of driving is when a tosspot lorry driver ahead of me decides to go out of his lane. Thanks to European regulations the car is not allowed to do a lane change by itself, so hitting the brakes is the best the car can do unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doudeau and CWT3LR
I actually think the UI has got worse over the years. The update that shrunk the map on the screen was a big retrograde step.

I embrace change, but not when it makes my car significantly worse. Over the last three years updates have given me small improvements (as well as a load of complete crap) but I’m struggling to see how the day to day driving experience has improved in any meaningful way. In the important aspects my car is just the same as it was three years ago, and this makes it barely different from a 20 year old ICE car.

And true FSD is still a complete pipe dream, at least in this country.
I can see your point regarding M3/Y. But the MS/X UI has improved massively over the last 4 years.

The UI has definitely gotten worse. Losing the card widgets in place of a wider driving graphic was a bad decision that still hasn't been rectified. I used the consumption card 100% of the time to monitor my efficiency. Having the Setting menu open (or the Energy app) is not a good replacement. The information shown there is too small and is on the other side of the screen - and blocks the map. I wish Tesla would bring those cards back.

Other things have gotten better - pre-heating the car takes a lot less time than it used to, and uses less battery. Bugs have been fixed - my first Model 3 had a problem where I'd get into the car and everything would hang for a while, the brake pedal would be like a sponge, there would be weird noises and the screen would be unresponsive for up to a minute. I think it was due to time taken to boot up after the car had gone to sleep. My current car has never done that. Being able to watch and delete Dashcam/Sentry Mode videos on the screen instead of having to take out the USB and put it into a PC is a big win. Waypoints, a much requested feature, was added this year. The Tesla mobile app is way better than it was before and is faster to load too.

I think Autopilot has gotten better. No phantom breaking for bridges, less phantom breaking overall - the only time my current car has done it during my period of driving is when a tosspot lorry driver ahead of me decides to go out of his lane. Thanks to European regulations the car is not allowed to do a lane change by itself, so hitting the brakes is the best the car can do unfortunately.
Yes, I still mourn the trip card and hope that the data will return to the main display at some point.

Good summary. For all its quirks I still believe Tesla has the most intuitive UI of any car I've owned/driven. Having said that it's been 4 years since I drove anything else, so maybe things have improved elsewhere?

Reactions: diddy84