Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.36

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221021_174757.jpg
    Screenshot_20221021_174757.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 94
Did a couple hundred mile trip down the motorway last night. In the dark, with variable weather ranging from drizzle to heavy downpour. First time I’ve given vision based AP/NoA a good workout, and I have to say I was very pleasantly impressed. Didn’t suffer any phantom braking and despite the frankly shite visibility at times, the car drove along confidently.

Only thing I had that I hadn’t had before was a couple of times when the rain got really bad was the AP speed was reduced due to “poor visibility.” To be honest, it was probably a sensible behaviour and it only dropped from 70 to 65mph.

A continuing annoyance is lane changes timing out. I indicated to move back to lane 1 having overtaken a vehicle, but the car waited a bit before starting the manoeuvre as it felt we weren’t far enough ahead. That’s fine. However, it then started changing lanes, but then ran out of time, cancelling the manoeuvre and violently swerving back into lane 2, despite having been half way into lane 1, already. I can understand cancelling before starting the manoeuvre, but the violent swerve because the timer runs out is utter nonsense.

A continuing annoyance is lane changes timing out. I indicated to move back to lane 1 having overtaken a vehicle, but the car waited a bit before starting the manoeuvre as it felt we weren’t far enough ahead. That’s fine. However, it then started changing lanes, but then ran out of time, cancelling the manoeuvre and violently swerving back into lane 2, despite having been half way into lane 1, already. I can understand cancelling before starting the manoeuvre, but the violent swerve because the timer runs out is utter nonsense.

Unfortunately, that violent swerve when its run out of time is not new. Much as I am sure some will try and blame it on UNECE regs, it's purely poor implementation by Tesla how it implements the pause due to reluctance to start (or abandon) the manoeuvrer then its behaviour to adhere to the stipulated time window.

It’s nothing to do with the regulations, my old X3 would wait until it was ready and then quickly complete the lane change, all I had to do was hold the indicator stalk halfway up/down. The Tesla implementation is pure crap.
I had this a few times, it feels super dangerous when in a motorway environment as it makes others break thinking your doing something strange… the other issue I still have even with the new version is the slight force required to initiate the movement seems too close to doing nothing or cancelling autopilot.

I think some people have reported otherwise but when on AP in places where auto lane won’t operate, indicating on mine doesn’t reduce the force required to break out of AP. That makes for a very jagged start to changing lane rather than a normal smooth manoeuvre. my Ioniq Electric did that far better.

I wish there was some on screen indicator that auto lane change was available- when on dual carriageway A roads, it’s not always obvious. It will allow an auto lane change in many locations where single blue line is not indicating.
Single blue line is NoA, right?

I don't use NoA, but with autosteer IME whether or not the adjacent lane is displayed in the visualisation is a pretty good indicator as to whether auto lane change is available. At least, it was back in the radar days - not sure now whether it's changed.