Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK]2022.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a bit aghast at people blindly relying on cameras and even the sensors for positioning. At the risk of sounding "kids today", when I passed my test rear view cameras weren't even a thing, and even ultrasonics were pretty new tech. I had to use mirrors and have spatial awareness of the extents of the vehicle! I still have to do that with cars that don't have cameras and/or parking sensors.
Like you, cameras etc. were not a thing when I passed my test. However, if the cameras, reversing sensors and so on fitted to a car are not reliable and fail to show or indicate hazards, then they are pointless and their presence and consequential use increases rather than reduces the risk of damage due to parking incidents. The problem is exacerbated in a car like the M3, because its poor rear visibility, with the boot and rear quarters being completely invisible from the driving seat, is a strong incentive for one to rely upon the sensors. If a sensor system fitted to a car cannot be relied upon, then it should not be there.

This is an issue for all manufacturers, not just Tesla, but in my experience, others, particularly the Germans, are better at this, which is a great shame because it contrasts with the otherwise highly advanced nature of the M3.

Reactions: DM206433
Like you, cameras etc. were not a thing when I passed my test. However, if the cameras, reversing sensors and so on fitted to a car are not reliable and fail to show or indicate hazards, then they are pointless and their presence and consequential use increases rather than reduces the risk of damage due to parking incidents. The problem is exacerbated in a car like the M3, because its poor rear visibility, with the boot and rear quarters being completely invisible from the driving seat, is a strong incentive for one to rely upon the sensors. If a sensor system fitted to a car cannot be relied upon, then it should not be there.

This is an issue for all manufacturers, not just Tesla, but in my experience, others, particularly the Germans, are better at this, which is a great shame because it contrasts with the otherwise highly advanced nature of the M3.
Ah but when FSD is complete then we'll all be able to paint over the windows and just put a destination in satnav, go to sleep & wake when we get there. No other input required certainly not actually looking out the windows or in mirrors.

• Funny
Reactions: Timcat and Zilla91
Long drive in the rain today, 22.4.5.1 is very timid not happy with overtaking lorries on the motorway or come the other way on single carridgeway
Wipers pants

Drove up the M23 on Thursday evening in variable rain - 2 phantom braking incidents - one for a bridge the second for the M25 gantry.
Wipers pants

Happy to report that the long sleeps have returned (1 1/2 days currently and counting)

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel
but I thought the "wake about every 24 hours" thing was all about making sure the 12V system was healthy
It should be able to last longer than 1 day before it needs a top up. Makes sense to wait 2 or 3 days in case the vehicle is driven, when it would be charged normally, rather than waking up all the systems and draining the main battery unnecessarily.

Yesterday i got 2022.4.5 and today i'm getting 2022.4.5.3

It should be able to last longer than 1 day before it needs a top up. Makes sense to wait 2 or 3 days in case the vehicle is driven, when it would be charged normally, rather than waking up all the systems and draining the main battery unnecessarily.
Is the waking because it gets drained by sentry mode? If so how long can it go without it switched on? Mines off all the time

Fair point! Need to get something out of the car soon so won't find out how long it'll go this time. Still stuck at home until at least Tuesday morning so will get another look before then.

Fair point! Need to get something out of the car soon so won't find out how long it'll go this time. Still stuck at home until at least Tuesday morning so will get another look before then.
Guess we won’t know - 44 hours asleep after 4.5 before it woke itself for about half an hour - just went to the car and 4.5.3 was ready to install so I guess that wake up was for the download. Let’s see what this one brings …

Same here - getting on for 48 hours for mine now, so long as the system does check and charge the 12V battery still long sleeps are fine, but I thought the "wake about every 24 hours" thing was all about making sure the 12V system was healthy ...
I’m a bit worried about mine.

Prior to 2022.4.5 my car would without fail wake every 24 hours to recharge the 12v battery for 2 hours. Now, it’s staying asleep for 40 hours and counting so far.

I was getting a bit anxious about the 12v going flat, so I opened the door the last time it did this (I’ve not had the update long), and the car stayed awake for 3 hours afterwards, which made me think it’s stopped monitoring it while asleep…

Last edited:
Anyone else has this issue. I had notification that I had update 2022.4.5 downloaded it and started the install. Went to get in the car later on and got an error message saying download failed awaiting software update. Anyone any ideas?