Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK]2022.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll be honest…I am not so sure…the EPA range matches my driving almost perfectly…while the energy graphs (which I love watching all the time) can change from 999 km to 100 and back in a blink of an eye
I think what was being referred to was the mileage/% shown when you have a trip set in the energy graph, not the instant mileage chart which can be wild!

It looks like it's to increase the warnings for those with the new LFP and Li-Ion battery combo and needing to do a 100% charge, at least thats what one of the websites that list the release notes are suggesting. It looks like an easy mitigation for owners but must be causing a few incidents for Tesla to keep pushing the message.

I've refused to send cabin data back to Tesla and will be fitting a cover to the camera. The cabin camera is a step too far as regards privacy.
I am also worried...you can be the most attentive driver..but if you have an accident and your eyes are not directly on the incident (for example if you where glancing in your side mirror looking for cyclists) then it’s going to look very bad when it comes to apportioning blame

I am also worried...you can be the most attentive driver..but if you have an accident and your eyes are not directly on the incident (for example if you where glancing in your side mirror looking for cyclists) then it’s going to look very bad when it comes to apportioning blame
I don't think that's it's primary function. Yes, if there was an accident so serious that someone died then it may be feasible for camera evidence to be extracted but it's not part of the standard dash cam streaming collection AFAIK. [Anyway, even if used for "apportioning blame" surely this is more likely to help than hinder accurate analysis.]

Reactions: init6
The cabin camera images you share with Tesla are not linked to your VIN, ...so it is hard to provide that as an evidence unless you are suddenly in national news for an accident! But I understand the privacy concerns but not sure about covering the camera - if you are not agreeing for data share images and video do not leave the vehicle itself and are not transmitted to anyone,

Explain please
It is a legal requirement that a driver must have ATLEAST ONE HAND on the steering wheel at all times while the car is moving.

That's what the legal requirement is. Set the seat correctly and hold the wheel with one hand the other side usually the left leg can support the steering if you set the seat correctly and put the car in AP mode and the sensors never (or less frequently) alert you. It will be like sitting on a Sofa in your living room.

DISCLAIMER: I do not recommend this personally and have not driven like this on public roads. And if you are trying this this is at your own risk as it is far safer to have two hands on the steering wheel rather than one.

Last edited:
Isn't the camera used to measure attentiveness for Autosteer?
It certainly doesn't mention that in my release notes. It states, 'When enabled, cabin camera data will be shared with Tesla if the vehicle experiences a safety critical event like a collision, or if cabin camera functionality requires diagnostics to perform.' Anybody have a clue what that last part of the sentence means?
It goes on, 'This data includes short cabin camera video clips to help us further develop future safety features and software enhancements such as collision avoidance updates.' So when does it start taking 'short cabin camera video clips'...how short, how often?

The legal requirement is to be in proper control, there is no explicit "at least one hand" law or rule. You could infer that no hands would constitute not being in proper control of the car, but even things like eating with one hand on the wheel have been seen as improper control. So while it's slightly pedantic, "not in proper control" covers more than how many hands you have holding the wheel. Equally if the car was steering then if you could demonstrate you were willing and able to take over instantly then there's no legal obstacle to not having your hands on the wheel, just like there is no requirement to have your feet on or near the accelerator or brake when on cruise. I'm not saying that would be an easy point to argue, but there are already limited level 3 applications and highway cruise control scenarios below certain speeds where no hands are required. Again Mercedes is the forerunner in this. BMW and Cadillac also have versions of this.

Cameras have also been in cars for years for passive safety reasons, Mercedes use an internal camera for their attention assist (I think its been around for 14 years), as it's not just when using autopilot do drivers lose concentration.

I think the issue is sending some of the footage back and what they do with it. You can understand if given Tesla's usual desire to use AI for everything and to do that you need video footage to match against consequences. So passive safety, driver alertness, trying to capture data to improve the whole nag system, who knows, I imagine situations like the case where 2 people were reported to be in the back of the car when it crashed on autopilot might be more easily explained, including how they defeated the nags if you have a video stream of the event.

Blocking the camera may end up rendering various capabilities inoperable but personally I don't see it as a threat in the event of an accident if you're driving half decently, if anything it might be an aid. But each to their own, GDPR etc were all introduced to ensure we give consent first rather than it be presumed and that's how it should be.

Reactions: Terry F
The legal requirement is to be in proper control, there is no explicit "at least one hand" law or rule. You could infer that no hands would constitute not being in proper control of the car, but even things like eating with one hand on the wheel have been seen as improper control. So while it's slightly pedantic, "not in proper control" covers more than how many hands you have holding the wheel. Equally if the car was steering then if you could demonstrate you were willing and able to take over instantly then there's no legal obstacle to not having your hands on the wheel, just like there is no requirement to have your feet on or near the accelerator or brake when on cruise. I'm not saying that would be an easy point to argue, but there are already limited level 3 applications and highway cruise control scenarios below certain speeds where no hands are required. Again Mercedes is the forerunner in this. BMW and Cadillac also have versions of this.
This is from DVLA, it has explicit one hand rule and of course you will have another evidence to say you can drive without any hands!

It is a legal requirement that a driver must have at least one hand on the steering wheel at all times while the car is moving. As far as the UK driving test is concerned, the driving examiners will expect a learner driver to keep both hands on the steering wheel unless they are carrying out another driving job. Although by law only one hand is required to steer a vehicle, this would not be acceptable in the driving test. The UK driving test is based upon the fundamental of safety. It is far safer to have two hands on the steering wheel rather than one.

Last edited: